Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you add auto climate control??

krazy302

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Tradesman, I upgraded my 5" radio to the infotainment 8.4 uam radio(non nav). Seen on there site they now have a package so you can add auto temp control to there 8.4 uav and there 12" Nav radio. I wanted to add to my truck but wasn't sure if i could add it to the uam 8.4" radio.
has anybody added auto temp controls to a 8.4 UAM non nav radio??

sstoner911

Reaction score
You can probably add the controls to you 8.4 with AlphaOBD but you probably don't have the hardware in your ac system to make it work.

krazy302

Reaction score
You can probably add the controls to you 8.4 with AlphaOBD but you probably don't have the hardware in your ac system to make it work.
infotainment web site has the kit to make it work on UAV 8.4 radio it comes with temp sensor, sun sensor and 4 pin wiring harness and OBDII dongle to activate it in bcm, but don't know if it will work on my radio the UAM 8.4. I do have Alphaobd tried turning ATC on but it didnt show up, and it disabled the manual controls. I also didn't give it a chance to cycle through. I only gave it 2 key cycles and switched it back cause I needed truck and its 35 degrees out.

sstoner911

Reaction score
The only difference between the UAV AND UAM is one has Nav and one doesn't.

sstoner911

Reaction score
ok Thanks I will give it another try tomorrow, and give it time to see if it shows up on the radio screen.
Iam not sure how that dongle works but I think the 21s need a security by pass cable to make changes to the BCM. What software are they using to access the BCM?

krazy302

Reaction score
So I activated Auto Temp Control & cabin net dcsd display screen module, and it activated on my radio. Only thing is now the knobs dont do anything when turning them, only pushing knobs works. But I can adjust all settings from the screen now. everything works from the touch screen. Hopefully ordering the temp sensor and sun sensor and 4 pin wiring for temp sensor will make it work..

Attachments

• IMG_4985[252].jpg
    IMG_4985[252].jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 64

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So I activated Auto Temp Control & cabin net dcsd display screen module, and it activated on my radio. Only thing is now the knobs dont do anything when turning them, only pushing knobs works. But I can adjust all settings from the screen now. everything works from the touch screen. Hopefully ordering the temp sensor and sun sensor and 4 pin wiring for temp sensor will make it work..
You need to disable cabin Net DCSD, as you do not have a separate display screen module. Also, make sure cabin Net ICS is enabled.

krazy302

Reaction score
You need to disable cabin Net DCSD, as you do not have a separate display screen module. Also, make sure cabin Net ICS is enable
Ok will will disable it tomorrow. Do you know were I can get the 4 pin wiring harness to add the temp sensor. I also have a center stack coming with the auto climate control knobs. Hopefully it will just plug n play. The manual knobs not working just annoy me. lol

Attachments

• IMG_4987.PNG
    IMG_4987.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 79

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Ok will will disable it tomorrow. Do you know were I can get the 4 pin wiring harness to add the temp sensor. I also have a center stack coming with the auto climate control knobs. Hopefully it will just plug n play. The manual knobs not working just annoy me. lol
Sent you a PM about the harness.

subic97

Reaction score
You need to disable cabin Net DCSD, as you do not have a separate display screen module. Also, make sure cabin Net ICS is enabled.
Been looking in alfaobd, do you remember where cabin net ICS was located? Was it under BCM then car configuration change? Also is that where the automatic temperature control was?

krazy302

Reaction score
it was under BCM, towards the bottom of list.. And auto controls was under HVAC, gotta switch it from manual to dual zone ATC

subic97

Reaction score
it was under BCM, towards the bottom of list.. And auto controls was under HVAC, gotta switch it from manual to dual zone ATC
Thanks new truck should be here next month and it doesn’t have the auto. Love it on my 1500. Did you get the new center stack and does the auto button work?

krazy302

Reaction score
Thanks new truck should be here next month and it doesn’t have the auto. Love it on my 1500. Did you get the new center stack and does the auto button work?
Just got the center stack today, and the 2 sensors, with wiring harness.. Gonna put it all in tomorrow if weather is nice. Didn't have time to do it today at work. I put in light bar behind lower grill & fluid filmed the whole underside of truck.

krazy302

Reaction score
Well I can confirm that changing to the auto control center stack does work. My only problem was the center stack was from a 2019 Power Wagon, and I guess from 2019 to 2021 the center stack is slightly different, so it doesn't fit with my center vent stack. But all the buttons functioned exactly how they are supposed too. Now to find a center stack with auto controls that fits mine.

krazy302

Reaction score
Ok I got everything working the way it is supposed too. I used Center Stack Part #68340287AD, Instrument Panel Bezel #6VQ511AHAA, and the infotainment wiring kit with sensors. I did have to change the instrument panel bezel because I originally had the 5" radio and replaced that with the infotainment 8.4" non nav radio. The instrument panel bezel for the 5" radio is different than the 8.4" bezel. When you get the radio from infotainment it comes with a new center stack bezel that is made to fit the 8.4" radio in the 5" bezel.

Attachments

• IMG_5072.jpg
    IMG_5072.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5074.PNG
    IMG_5074.PNG
    930.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5073.PNG
    IMG_5073.PNG
    848.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5076.PNG
    IMG_5076.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 85

subic97

Reaction score
Ok I got everything working the way it is supposed too. I used Center Stack Part #68340287AD, Instrument Panel Bezel #6VQ511AHAA, and the infotainment wiring kit with sensors. I did have to change the instrument panel bezel because I originally had the 5" radio and replaced that with the infotainment 8.4" non nav radio. The instrument panel bezel for the 5" radio is different than the 8.4" bezel. When you get the radio from infotainment it comes with a new center stack bezel that is made to fit the 8.4" radio in the 5" bezel.
Sweet, thanks for being the Guinea pig. Be one of the first things on the list when the truck gets here.

Sierra Nate

Reaction score
I'm hopefully going to do this upgrade on my 2019 2500 tradesman this weekend. But I have some questions just to clarify how you got 'er done.

1. Did you activate the ATC using AplhaOBD or using a dongle provided by infotainment? It looks like (if I am reading this right) you purchased the upgraded 8.4 inch display from Infotainment. My understanding is that unit from Infotainment comes with a OBD dongle used to update the BCM. In my case my truck came from the factory with 8.4 inch UConnect, so I only ordered the 4 pin wire harness with the temp sensor and sun sensor. I don't think it comes with the OBD Dongle with just the purchase of the wire harness. But I do have AplhaOBD and ordered the security bypass harness. I am now trying to determine exactly which settings in AplhaOBD need to be set.

2. Thanks to your thread I determined the correct center stack (just ordered the same one you used - part 68340287AD). I am hoping that I can pull the steering and seat controls out of the new unit and plug that hole with the bezel from my old one as I do not want the unnecessary buttons for the seat heat, circulate and steering heat.

So what I am seeing from your post is I need to activate Auto Temp Control (assume under BCM), disable Net DCSD and enable Net ICS. These three times is it? Are all three items available in the Alpha OBD? I connected the Alpha OBD last night but have not received the security bypass harness yet so I could not get into the settings. Hopefully that harness arrives today.

Users who are viewing this thread