Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone post what the interior tailgate release switch looks like please

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Yesterday I had ordered the overhead with the tailgate release, but thanks to @Jimmy07 I cancelled it until we figure out the details of the adapter harness.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've almost absent mindlessly hit that tailgate release by mistake when trying to open or close the rear window. Not good if backed into a parking spot and someone has parked behind you. Oops.... Be careful what you wish for. LOL

Agree. Same with trying to hit the door light lockout or overhead light switch.

I think key point is to muscle memory not press any of those buttons in Park or Neutral @0MPH. As I recall those (definitely Park) are the requirements for the gate to open.

But yea, it's a dumb place for the switch IMHO.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Agree. Same with trying to hit the door light lockout or overhead light switch.

I think key point is to muscle memory not press any of those buttons in Park or Neutral @0MPH. As I recall those (definitely Park) are the requirements for the gate to open.

But yea, it's a dumb place for the switch IMHO.
When in reverse does the button actually work? When trying to drop the tailgate with the key fob button in reverse it doesn't work.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When in reverse does the button actually work? When trying to drop the tailgate with the key fob button in reverse it doesn't work.
I don't believe it does, P or N only as I recall. It *may from the overhead button, I would have to check again. I've just gotten in the habit of only dropping it from within the truck before I start backing to hook up.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I do use the key fob release all the time to get to the Decked storage. I have only used the interior one once I think to have guys load the Christmas tree after I pulled the truck around.

There was the time I almost hit a couple of people on the sidewalk. I meant to either unlock or remote start the truck but I opened the tailgate by mistake a couple of feet in front of them. Oops...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I do use the key fob release all the time to get to the Decked storage. I have only used the interior one once I think to have guys load the Christmas tree after I pulled the truck around.

There was the time I almost hit a couple of people on the sidewalk. I meant to either unlock or remote start the truck but I opened the tailgate by mistake a couple of feet in front of them. Oops...
That would have been funny to see on camera if they ran in to it lol

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yesterday I had ordered the overhead with the tailgate release, but thanks to @Jimmy07 I cancelled it until we figure out the details of the adapter harness.
Adapter is figured out, and parts are on the way. Let me know if you want to try it.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Adapter is figured out, and parts are on the way. Let me know if you want to try it.
Sure, I'll try it. I'll place the order for the overhead and let you know when I receive it.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
For those that are interested in the overhead console for tan colored headliner, tailgate release, led map lights and sliding rear; the part number is 6EK051L1AF.

MSRP is $375 and the cheapest I have found is $245.25 plus $13 shipping to my zipcode in Texas.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
I've almost absent mindlessly hit that tailgate release by mistake when trying to open or close the rear window. Not good if backed into a parking spot and someone has parked behind you. Oops.... Be careful what you wish for. LOL
Well thankfully I don’t have a rear window so I would only be using buttons up there to release the tailgate if needed.

Reaction score

Others may be different, but my '21 will not drop the tailgate unless I'm in neutral or Park.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Received new overhead console today. I'll post when I get adapter harness.

Users who are viewing this thread