Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone help me out? Adding oem remote start and tailgate release to 2022 3500 tradesmen 6.7

Robfreitas

Reaction score
Hello my new 22 3500 should be in any day, its a 6.7 tradesmen. For some reason i could not order it with remote start but the dealership said they could install oem remote start with the factory fobs. I ran in to this same issue when i ordered my 2020 1500 and the dealership installed the remote start and it was totally fine. I saw a few years ago of somone ordering the remote start, but getting the key fobs with the tailgate release button also and it worked. Does anyone know if this is still possible? In the post it said they just had the dealership "add the sales code for tailgate release" when they ordered the oem remote start kit.

b307a1

Reaction score
Hello my new 22 3500 should be in any day, its a 6.7 tradesmen. For some reason i could not order it with remote start but the dealership said they could install oem remote start with the factory fobs. I ran in to this same issue when i ordered my 2020 1500 and the dealership installed the remote start and it was totally fine. I saw a few years ago of somone ordering the remote start, but getting the key fobs with the tailgate release button also and it worked. Does anyone know if this is still possible? In the post it said they just had the dealership "add the sales code for tailgate release" when they ordered the oem remote start kit.
If you can get the remote start kit that includes fobs that have the tail gate release feature that is the way to go. It will save you a ton of money not having to buy separate fobs and paying to have them programmed to your truck.
Don't forget to also get the tailgate dampener. You don't want to open the tailgate remotely without it.

Last edited:

Robfreitas

Reaction score
If you can get the remote start kit that includes fobs that have the tail gate release feature that is the way to go. It will save you a ton of money not having to buy separate fobs and paying to have them programmed to your truck.
Don't forget to also get the tailgate dampener. You don't want to open the tailgate remotely with out it.
Thats what im trying to figure out. If it is even still possible to just buy the fobs with the tailgate button and have them programed. Like is the truck even has the tailgate release in the gate. Also hot to explain to the dealership to do this. Also i heard that all the new 22s have the damper standard but im not sure, i havent gotten the truck yet

b307a1

Reaction score
That is how I did my 2019 Tradesman.

Check out the link below. The fobs are new OEM. I took the one that I got from them to my dealer and they programmed it to my truck with no issues.

You will not get them from any dealer at that price!

You will have to get the tailgate dampener because the Tradesman and bottom rung BigHorn do not come with them. The part # is 68362518AA. Costs about $40.00 list.

Last edited:

sstoner911

Reaction score
If the truck is on order can you just add this feature or is it to late.

Robfreitas

Reaction score

Check out the link below. The fobs are new OEM. I took the one that I got from them to my dealer and they programmed it to my truck with no issues.

Thanks yeah thats not too bad of a price. I had it done at the dealer on my 2020 1500 and he really wasn't too too bad. It was 500 programed for 2 remotes but then it was covered by warranty when i had a issue with one

Robfreitas

Reaction score
If you are referring to yours, it should come with it.
No i dont think it is coming with remote start, i tried to order it with it and it would not let me on build your truck or on the dealers system, it would not even list it as a available option for a tradesmen. They tried and tried and couldn't figure it out. I ran into this when i ordered my 2020 1500 tradesmen, same exact thing, it wasnt listed as a option till i paid big money for a communications group. For that truck i even called ram corporate and they couldn't figure it out either, just said i couldnt order it with it

Robfreitas

Reaction score
If the truck is on order can you just add this feature or is it to late.
i tried to order it with it and it would not let me on build your truck or on the dealers system, it would not even list it as a available option for a tradesmen. They tried and tried and couldn't figure it out. I ran into this when i ordered my 2020 1500 tradesmen, same exact thing, it wasnt listed as a option till i paid big money for a communications group. For that truck i even called ram corporate and they couldn't figure it out either, just said i couldnt order it with it

sstoner911

Reaction score
That sucks. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal.

Robfreitas

Reaction score
That sucks. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal.
I think they do it to try to get you to add alot more communications options or go up to a big horn, its all about money, i guess spending 60k on a damn pickup isn't enough for them haha

Robfreitas

Reaction score
It's just not available from the factory with the Tradesman as an option. The parts department or after market add on is the only way to get it.
Do you know if i had the dealer install a oem remote start if they could get fobs with the tailgate release and would they work? What im trying to figure out is if a 22 tradesmen is already pre wired and has all the Necessary modules and stuff for the automatic tailgate? I know most anything can be done but im not looking to spend a fortune or make a career out of it haha. If its quick and easy i think it would be nice to have

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Do you know if i had the dealer install a oem remote start if they could get fobs with the tailgate release and would they work? What im trying to figure out is if a 22 tradesmen is already pre wired and has all the Necessary modules and stuff for the automatic tailgate? I know most anything can be done but im not looking to spend a fortune or make a career out of it haha. If its quick and easy i think it would be nice to have
Sounds like you are waiting for your ordered truck to come in? While you wait, go over these two threads, as they both cover everything you’re asking. One thing is for sure though- the mopar factory remote start kit comes with fobs that do not have remote tailgate release.

b307a1

Reaction score
The "Tech Swami" has stepped in. listen to him because everything that I have added or changed was done with his guidance. He is the authority on everything relating to Ram HD's

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

You will have to get the tailgate dampener because the Tradesman and bottom rung BigHorn do not come with them. The part # is 68362518AA. Costs about $40.00 list.

Stay away from those fobs. They are not new OEM, they are refurbs and many, myself included, have gotten fobs from that supplier the dealer could not program.

Just buy any FOB needed from an online mopar parts seller at a discount.

We have lots of threads here already, many of them are stickies, that will answer most mod questions that arise. Use the Advanced Search button on the top menu bar for better results than the (limited) search magnifying glass icon.

Robfreitas

Reaction score
Sounds like you are waiting for your ordered truck to come in? While you wait, go over these two threads, as they both cover everything you’re asking. One thing is for sure though- the mopar factory remote start kit comes with fobs that do not have remote tailgate release.
Thank you, this answers most of my questions. One other question and its not a big deal, just curious. Will the dealership added remote start work with the uconnect app? I know it doesn't on my 2020 but i was just wondering with this new uconnect 5 if it would

sstoner911

Reaction score
I think they do it to try to get you to add alot more communications options or go up to a big horn, its all about money, i guess spending 60k on a damn pickup isn't enough for them haha
You would think any added option is a plus for dealer/FCA...but I can see why they want you to move up to a Bighorn. Over the years I have moved up from Bighorn, Laramie, now Limited Longhorn.... just been playing the trade up game recently with the crazy trade in values.

Users who are viewing this thread