Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy 3500 Only for the HO Cummins?

SgnDen

Reaction score
I searched the site but didn't find anything that obviously answered my question. I drove the 3500 and the 2500 back to back and the increased output of the Cummins HO was pretty obvious. I wouldn't mind having the Aisin tranny as well.

Here's the thing: I will not be towing heavy at all. I will eventually put a 4WC pop-up camper in the bed (1200 lbs) and tow some bikes. I'll do some off-road to the extent a huge rig like this can fit on trails here in CO. So, as you can see, no issue whatsoever with payload or towing with either 3/4 or 1 ton. I will be driving 3,800 mile round trips 5-6x/year 50% empty trips.

For the small price difference, regardless of whether or not I "need" it, why wouldn't I get the high output Cummins? I understand the 3500 has rear leaf springs and coils are on the 3/4 ton. The ride didn't bother me at all. I felt the additional grunt in the HO and liked it...of course.

Any arguments that I'm missing to get the 2500 vs the 3500? Sales guy says the 3500's don't sell as well and "most" buyers, at least people that don't have a big towing need, are looking for the 2500 only because they don't necessarily know any better.

Any thoughts?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuel mileage and more frequent/costly maintenance on the Aisin trans would be just two factors.

There's a lot of 3500 owners, myself included, that said they would never need more than a 2500...

2500 Diesel payload is pretty dismal so if you ever change your towing needs, the 3500 is in play.

You can of course, get a 3500 in gas/ZF8 or SO/68RFE or HO/AS69RC.

Reaction score
For your use case, a 2500 6.7 with the 68RFE will more than suffice.

However - if you prefer the HO and the Aisin (I’m actually the other way around, as I find the Aisin to be a bit heavy on its shifts) then absolutely no reason not to go for a 3500 SRW.

I personally tow a large amount of the time, and so the payload of the 3500 is a necessity. I’m also a firm believer that “you can never have too much truck”.

I too don’t find the ride to me much different on the 3500 vs the 2500, though my 2019 2500 gasser definitely didn’t “bounce” as much.

Buppies

Reaction score
I have a 2500 pull goose neck twice a year. For the ride I’m happy just my thought

SgnDen

Reaction score
Fuel mileage and more frequent/costly maintenance on the Aisin trans would be just two factors.

There's a lot of 3500 owners, myself included, that said they would never need more than a 2500...

2500 Diesel payload is pretty dismal so if you ever change your towing needs, the 3500 is in play.

You can of course, get a 3500 in gas/ZF8 or SO/68RFE or HO/AS69RC.
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the Aisin requiring more maintenance. I'll read-up. I think I have the stories of prior years 68RFE problems stuck in my head and pushing me to the Aisin, but I am no expert in this particular hardware. A gasser would certainly work but for the long haul round trips, I wouldn't mind the smooth running diesel. I'm not very concerned about fuel/gas mileage but it doesn't hurt to save a bit with the diesel. Definitely don't want to go down that "gas vs diesel" path here. Ha.

renagade69

Reaction score
The aisin is heavier than the 68rfd by a few hundred pounds and reduces payload on a single rear wheel 3500.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I searched the site but didn't find anything that obviously answered my question. I drove the 3500 and the 2500 back to back and the increased output of the Cummins HO was pretty obvious. I wouldn't mind having the Aisin tranny as well.

Here's the thing: I will not be towing heavy at all. I will eventually put a 4WC pop-up camper in the bed (1200 lbs) and tow some bikes. I'll do some off-road to the extent a huge rig like this can fit on trails here in CO. So, as you can see, no issue whatsoever with payload or towing with either 3/4 or 1 ton. I will be driving 3,800 mile round trips 5-6x/year 50% empty trips.

For the small price difference, regardless of whether or not I "need" it, why wouldn't I get the high output Cummins? I understand the 3500 has rear leaf springs and coils are on the 3/4 ton. The ride didn't bother me at all. I felt the additional grunt in the HO and liked it...of course.

Any arguments that I'm missing to get the 2500 vs the 3500? Sales guy says the 3500's don't sell as well and "most" buyers, at least people that don't have a big towing need, are looking for the 2500 only because they don't necessarily know any better.

Any thoughts?
Like me you probably don't need the HO. It's a bit heavier and obviously more expensive. Not sure about the claim the 3500s don't sell well given the purpose of having a 1 ton in the first place.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the Aisin requiring more maintenance. I'll read-up. I think I have the stories of prior years 68RFE problems stuck in my head and pushing me to the Aisin, but I am no expert in this particular hardware. A gasser would certainly work but for the long haul round trips, I wouldn't mind the smooth running diesel. I'm not very concerned about fuel/gas mileage but it doesn't hurt to save a bit with the diesel. Definitely don't want to go down that "gas vs diesel" path here. Ha.
I had the 68RFE in my 2013 RAM 2500 diesel with out any issues for 125k miles. I just needed the capacity of the 3500. The truckI found has the HO and Aisin tranny. I just went on a 1500 mile trip with the new truck and 33ft 5th wheel.

I'd would also recomend the largest fuel tank available for your truck. The 32 gallon tank limed me to 200 before looking for fuel, and possilbly out of fuel before 250 miles. I had a 55 gallon Titan fuel tank installed and now have a towing range of over 500 miles.

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
We have the Aisin in our work trucks. I have not noticed increased costs due to that factor alone. What am I missing?

D

Deleted member 80

Aisin gets a fluid change every 30K, and filter every 60K. Much more frequent than the RFE. Some of the cost can be reduced by using the Mobil 3309 fluid, instead of the way overpriced Mopar labeled version.

jsalbre

Reaction score

If your concern is fuel mileage, you can buy a lot of gas for the $9k (or $11k) the diesel engine will cost you. If you just want a diesel because you want a diesel then carry on, but I wouldn’t make fuel economy the deciding factor.

SgnDen

Reaction score
If your concern is fuel mileage, you can buy a lot of gas for the $9k (or $11k) the diesel engine will cost you. If you just want a diesel because you want a diesel then carry on, but I wouldn’t make fuel economy the deciding factor.

Right. I think I may have said that mpg is not a concern. I don’t even consider that as a deciding factor. I’m not using this to make a living but even then, when you’re buying a $70K-$80K truck and are fretting over mpg, well, it just seems like a small issue in the scheme of things...again, unless you’re operating 60K+ mile/hear for example. But to each his own for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
I didn't need a 2020, 3500, 6.7 HO & Aisin but wanted one.
If I used any kind of logic I would have kept my 2006 Ford F350, bulletproofed 6.0 with only 26,500 miles.
So glad I bought one as I just love every aspect of it, empty or towing.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
When you put that camper in the bed. I promise that you will be happier with the leaf springs on the 3500 and the extra low down lugging power of the HO. Please do yourself a favor and if you are pretty certain you will be putting a camper in the bed over 1000# that you get the 3500. The payload on the 2500 with diesel will quickly be gone. The 2500 will ride and shift better unlaiden but once you put that camper in.. the 3500 will have that game in spaids.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
When you put that camper in the bed. I promise that you will be happier with the leaf springs on the 3500 and the extra low down lugging power of the HO. Please do yourself a favor and if you are pretty certain you will be putting a camper in the bed over 1000# that you get the 3500. The payload on the 2500 with diesel will quickly be gone. The 2500 will ride and shift better unlaiden but once you put that camper in.. the 3500 will have that game in spaids.
The 2500 wont notice the 1200lb camper in the box trust me, while the 3500 has more pay load saying the 2500 wont take it is a load of **** as the lowest payload in a 2500 is 2950ish you wont be anywhere near the limit with the 1200lbs camper

Wmhjr

Reaction score
The 2500 wont notice the 1200lb camper in the box trust me, while the 3500 has more pay load saying the 2500 wont take it is a load of **** as the lowest payload in a 2500 is 2950ish you wont be anywhere near the limit with the 1200lbs camper

You may want to check your numbers just as an FYI. The payload in my 2020 2500 Bighorn, CC, SB, Cummins is 2172lbs including everything in the cab.

Pronto

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got your numbers, it looks like you're looking at Hemi base payloads and not Cummins but this thread is filled with real world numbers: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/please-post-payload-sticker-from-drivers-door-jamb.218/

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Please take some time and look at real payload numbers of 2500 diesel's even with basic options and then come back with the malarchy.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Please take some time and look at real payload numbers of 2500 diesel's even with basic options and then come back with the malarchy.
My mistake my 2500 cclb cummins is good for 2300 still plenty good enough for a slide in camper and all gear/fuel besides how often does he plan on having that camper in the bed....

Users who are viewing this thread