Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building my RAM 2500. Help

jetrinka

Reaction score
When ordering my '21 Power Wagon, I found that there were more options that the dealer could do that were not on the RAM website.
One was a mono color. For the PW on the site, only black is a mono color. Everything else has the 2 tone with the black stripe on the bottom.

Look at the bed group package. Spray in bed liner, LED bed lights and the bed step. I use my bed step a lot when getting in and out of the truck bed. Glad I got it.

Not sure if the tow package comes with it, but there is a reverse back up light on the mirror. Comes in handy at night.

Congrats on getting a new truck.
Crusty are you saying the black stripe on the bottom is a sticker and not paint?

jetrinka

Reaction score
Is that really necessary if you have a 4x4? Plus we don't boondock so our grounds we camp on are usually paved or at least gravel.
Limited slip diff helps in so many more scenarios than just offroad. Traction in inclement weather such as rain or snow, getting a load moving in 2wd up a hill, offroad of course. Its a cheap option too. I wouldn't be without it.

Ickabod

Reaction score
Limited slip diff helps in so many more scenarios than just offroad. Traction in inclement weather such as rain or snow, getting a load moving in 2wd up a hill, offroad of course. Its a cheap option too. I wouldn't be without it.
Is that really necessary if you have a 4x4? Plus we don't boondock so our grounds we camp on are usually paved or at least gravel.
You need it. It is always a hassle to switch to 4x4 just to get up a slick hill or wet pavement and then switch back. I do not have it on my 1500 and wish I did. I am always spinning my rear wheel on any incline and turning at the same time. Really has nothing to do with off roading. It definitely helps with towing also when you need a little more traction getting going from a stand still. @jetrinka is correct in his comment.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
My PW 4X4 has the LSDD rear. And it also has locking diffs front and rear.

I've always liked to have a LSD in all of my vehicles, weather on or off road vehicles.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I'm not sure, never looked close at one. Just knew I didn't want it.
I think it is paint.
It was a dumb question. I went out and looked and it was paint. Made it seem like it was a sticker I could just pull off!!! Got my hopes up!!! :p:D

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
It was a dumb question. I went out and looked and it was paint. Made it seem like it was a sticker I could just pull off!!! Got my hopes up!!! :p:D
When I found out I could order my Delmonico Red Pearl PW in mono color, I jumped on it. I didnt really like the 2 tone.

jetrinka

Reaction score
When I found out I could order my Delmonico Red Pearl PW in mono color, I jumped on it. I didnt really like the 2 tone.
I agree. Mine was one found on a dealer lot and if there was one option I could change it would be to have it in the mono color.

Darkside

Reaction score
I ordered mine with the cargo view camera, works okay for hooking up the fifth wheel, but unfortunately you don’t get the guidance line with it unless you get the 360 cameras….. makes no sense, but that’s just how it is… I also got the rear air suspension, alternate trailer height is very helpful with how high these trucks sit for towing a fifth wheel.

GUNBUNNY2BG4U

Reaction score
So about to order the Ram 2500 GAS. Probably going with the Big Horn. Question is is there anything "special" that I'll need for towing a 5th wheel? Please DO NOT say a diesel. Don't even go there..seriously. This 5th wheel is 1/2 ton towable so please again don't go down the Diesel road.

Does the 2500 come with a brake controller? I did not see that on the build. Wanting I believe it's the Cargo light pkg. Is this the one that has the camera so you can see your 5th wheel hitch while hitching up? What about 7 pin wiring harness is all this included. I will have a dealer worker helping me with this just wanted to kinda have it built out first.

Thanks in advance.
I forget exactly when but with somewhere in the mid 2000s where federal government stepped in where her vehicle needs to be wired to have a electric brake controller but wasn't till a few years later where majority of the trucks have the actual switch on the dashboard more likely your truck will come with it if not it will definitely have the wiring on the dash for a controller

purebred

Reaction score
We were in the same boat when we went fulltime rving in 2020. I looked at all options for towing a 14860 lb fifth wheel. I knew our trips would be limited because of our age and physical limitations. I compared all towing weight options and decided on a 2500 Ram, didn't want diesel or 4 wheel drive so ended up with a 2 WD Tradesman, 6.4, 373 limited slip with tow package. Absolutely love the truck and at the time price wasn't to bad also. We didn't need all the bells and whistles just something that would pull our keystone alpine safely and comfortably. If i would have went 4 WD my tow weight would have decreased (legally) and just didn't care for it and wanted to stay away from the higher 3500 registration costs plus tires, diesel costs and so on. Its something each person has to figure out , but we are very happy with our run of the mill Tradesman and satisfied also with its performance , dependability and towing abilities. I went with a Anderson fifth wheel hitch for weight reduction and ease of hooking up and removing the hitch when not using it. Very satisfied with it also. Good luck on what you pick out. I'm sure with it being a good ole Ram you can't pick a looser.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I forget exactly when but with somewhere in the mid 2000s where federal government stepped in where her vehicle needs to be wired to have a electric brake controller but wasn't till a few years later where majority of the trucks have the actual switch on the dashboard more likely your truck will come with it if not it will definitely have the wiring on the dash for a controller

The tradesman doesn't come standard with a brake controller (or tow mirrors). All other trims come with one standard.

purebred

Reaction score
You're correct about the tradesman and towing package. My upgrades , mirrors, brake controller, anti spin differential, and 115 volt auxiliary front power cost me an extra 1700.

P.A.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2500 Crew Big Horn bucket seat option looks any different then the bench with the console down? Just trying to decide on my build sheet if there really is a difference because when I add the bucket seat option the picture doesn't change.

If you have a pic of your newer 2500 Big Horn Crew with bucket seats I would appreciate it.

Darkside

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2500 Crew Big Horn bucket seat option looks any different then the bench with the console down? Just trying to decide on my build sheet if there really is a difference because when I add the bucket seat option the picture doesn't change.

If you have a pic of your newer 2500 Big Horn Crew with bucket seats I would appreciate it.
This is the Laramie, but it’s the same layout as the Bighorn with bucket seats.30F1571C-9BCB-4947-8455-6B52CC6FD600.jpeg

P.A.

Reaction score
My PW 4X4 has the LSDD rear. And it also has locking diffs front and rear.

I've always liked to have a LSD in all of my vehicles, weather on or off road vehicles.
Big Horn doesn't offer "limited" spin differential just Anti-Spin Differential, is there a big difference?

ACEd

Reaction score
Big Horn doesn't offer "limited" spin differential just Anti-Spin Differential, is there a big difference?
Same difference - also known in the 70's as Sure Grip

Users who are viewing this thread