Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building my RAM 2500. Help

P.A.

Reaction score
So about to order the Ram 2500 GAS. Probably going with the Big Horn. Question is is there anything "special" that I'll need for towing a 5th wheel? Please DO NOT say a diesel. Don't even go there..seriously. This 5th wheel is 1/2 ton towable so please again don't go down the Diesel road.

Does the 2500 come with a brake controller? I did not see that on the build. Wanting I believe it's the Cargo light pkg. Is this the one that has the camera so you can see your 5th wheel hitch while hitching up? What about 7 pin wiring harness is all this included. I will have a dealer worker helping me with this just wanted to kinda have it built out first.

Thanks in advance.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Rams build website says the big horn comes standard with trailer brake controller

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that? Was just going to go with the 3.73. It will be a daily driver. Under 10K 5th wheel

Even as a daily the 4.10 will have better get-up and go. Fuel economy difference is negligable. Towing will be much nicer with 4.10's as well

Don't fear the gear. Always go as low as possible.

Sarge33Army

Reaction score
You can build your truck at the RAM truck page. Select the info icon on options that may be new to you. Just remember that just about every selection will reduce your payload. At the bottom of the build sheet is a button to ADD to COMPARE and then OPEN Comparison. Do this, then open the SPECIFICATIONS tab and scroll down to PAYLOAD and TOWING capacities. I'd recommend the following options: Anti-Spin rear differential, 5th wheel prep group, 220-amp alternator, premium light group, bed utility group, and Level C Equipment Group. (Note - The level-C group used to include blind-side warning for truck and trailer, but I didn't see it listed now.)

My 2WD Big Horn regular cab has the 3.73 axle which pulls my 7,200# travel trailer with zero issues. The 4.10 axle should pull even better and may be the way to go if you get the crew cab with a higher trim level. Again, use the build options and review your build for payload and towing changes. Another note is that my door sticker states 3,800# payload while the RAM build site indicates 3.940# payload. So it's not an exact, but fairly decent estimate. You can get the exact payload number once you have your VIN and enter it at the RAM Towing Capacity Guide.

Best regards!

P.A.

Reaction score
Even as a daily the 4.10 will have better get-up and go. Fuel economy difference is negligable. Towing will be much nicer with 4.10's as well

Don't fear the gear. Always go as low as possible.
Hmm ok good to know. Thank you

P.A.

Reaction score
You can build your truck at the RAM truck page. Select the info icon on options that may be new to you. Just remember that just about every selection will reduce your payload. At the bottom of the build sheet is a button to ADD to COMPARE and then OPEN Comparison. Do this, then open the SPECIFICATIONS tab and scroll down to PAYLOAD and TOWING capacities. I'd recommend the following options: Anti-Spin rear differential, 5th wheel prep group, 220-amp alternator, premium light group, bed utility group, and Level C Equipment Group. (Note - The level-C group used to include blind-side warning for truck and trailer, but I didn't see it listed now.)

My 2WD Big Horn regular cab has the 3.73 axle which pulls my 7,200# travel trailer with zero issues. The 4.10 axle should pull even better and may be the way to go if you get the crew cab with a higher trim level. Again, use the build options and review your build for payload and towing changes. Another note is that my door sticker states 3,800# payload while the RAM build site indicates 3.940# payload. So it's not an exact, but fairly decent estimate. You can get the exact payload number once you have your VIN and enter it at the RAM Towing Capacity Guide.

Best regards!
Thanks for all the info. Out of all you suggested to build I had everything but the spin differential. Wasn't sure we needed that but now I see if you want the 4.10 you have to get that.

Really bummed that you can't get the towing tech group on the Big Horn. I think that would be really helpful when hooking up and towing the 5th wheel. Decision decisions.

Tell3131

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Out of all you suggested to build I had everything but the spin differential. Wasn't sure we needed that but now I see if you want the 4.10 you have to get that.

Really bummed that you can't get the towing tech group on the Big Horn. I think that would be really helpful when hooking up and towing the 5th wheel. Decision decisions.
You might ask a dealer about the Towing Tech Group. I built a 2020 Laramie and didn't see the Trailer Towing group as an option on the Ram website, but asked the dealer and they said that it is available to order. So I am not sure I trust the Ram website. I built a 2021 and the Towing group was there. So I think the website is off.

Ickabod

Reaction score
Anti-spin differential (which is included if you get the 4.10 gears)

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
When ordering my '21 Power Wagon, I found that there were more options that the dealer could do that were not on the RAM website.
One was a mono color. For the PW on the site, only black is a mono color. Everything else has the 2 tone with the black stripe on the bottom.

Look at the bed group package. Spray in bed liner, LED bed lights and the bed step. I use my bed step a lot when getting in and out of the truck bed. Glad I got it.

Not sure if the tow package comes with it, but there is a reverse back up light on the mirror. Comes in handy at night.

Congrats on getting a new truck.

P.A.

Reaction score
When ordering my '21 Power Wagon, I found that there were more options that the dealer could do that were not on the RAM website.
One was a mono color. For the PW on the site, only black is a mono color. Everything else has the 2 tone with the black stripe on the bottom.

Look at the bed group package. Spray in bed liner, LED bed lights and the bed step. I use my bed step a lot when getting in and out of the truck bed. Glad I got it.

Not sure if the tow package comes with it, but there is a reverse back up light on the mirror. Comes in handy at night.

Congrats on getting a new truck.
Thank you!!
Yes we've got the bed group pkg selected. I think we decided not to get the the Tow Mode Digital mirror pkg because we have a camera on the back of our TT that we will take off and use. Save us $945:) We do want the Trailer Tire Pressure monitoring system tho. And we'll get the Cargo View Camera.

P.A.

Reaction score
Anti-spin differential (which is included if you get the 4.10 gears)
Is that really necessary if you have a 4x4? Plus we don't boondock so our grounds we camp on are usually paved or at least gravel.

Users who are viewing this thread