Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brighter backup lights?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Just replace the backup bulbs or new assembly plugged into the trailer wiring?

Are those bright LED bulbs really that good? I'm concerned about heat from those bulbs.

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
There’s always this option:

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I’ve also seen LED light strips that run under the tailgate with brake/turn/hazard/backup functions. Not everyone’s style, but an option.

CanadianIronhead

Banned for flashing
Reaction score

Thedaran

Reaction score
I had these on my last truck. I discreetly placed them under the truck, could barely tell they were there except for when they were turned on. They had been installed for three years when I sold the truck and didn't have any of the bulbs fail.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I used Baja Designs rear bumper brackets and Nilight 6.5" LED Bars (and Auxiliary Switch #2).

Wired so when shifting to reverse, this will turn on the truck's backup lights and the rear LED light bars. Or, when Aux Switch #2 is activated, only the rear LED light bars are turned on

Rear Bumper LED Bars - NiLite.jpg.

Attachments

• 52b-Nilight Backup LED Bars-Wiring.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 124

Thedaran

Reaction score
I used Baja Designs rear bumper brackets and Nilight 6.5" LED Bars (and Auxiliary Switch #2).

Wired so when shifting to reverse, this will turn on the truck's backup lights and the rear LED light bars. Or, when Aux Switch #2 is activated, only the rear LED light bars are turned on

View attachment 28827.
Care to detail how you wired this up for the duel operation?

MrHankbot

Reaction score

relbus

Reaction score
John,

I followed these instructions to a T, except I chose to only have them activate with aux2 and not with reverse lamps. When I plug the jumper harness in under the dash, my backup lights stay on constantly.
Any idea what I did wrong?

View attachment 28827

John Jensen

Reaction score
Your
John,

I followed these instructions to a T, except I chose to only have them activate with aux2 and not with reverse lamps. When I plug the jumper harness in under the dash, my backup lights stay on constantly.
Any idea what I did wrong?
your aux switch is probably set to a constant 12v, you need to change it to 12v on with ignition. you do that in the evic settings
I'm in Oregon trout fishing, don't have that instruction with me. Just go into your Evic settings and select the one above speedo

relbus

Reaction score
Your

your aux switch is probably set to a constant 12v, you need to change it to 12v on with ignition. you do that in the evic settings
I'm in Oregon trout fishing, don't have that instruction with me. Just go into your Evic settings and select the one above speedo

I believe there is only ignition or battery. Switch either works with ignition on only or with battery so works any time. That’s how my light bar works on aux 1.

relbus

Reaction score
Just verified on EVIC. I have the choice between latching/momentary and batt/ignition. I want batt on my lights cause sometimes we unload at the cabin and don’t need to idle the truck but want lights.

I’m thinking something has to be wrong at the jumper plug under the dash. Anyone wiser than me able to help?

Jumper between 1 and 6 was cut. 1 was spliced to 5.

a8a0fc5497180467c1c2ae9108c93e8d.jpg

John Jensen

Reaction score
This may help. I have found that some trucks have different wire colors. This diagram should help you check yours.

Attachments

• 02a-Auxillary Switches - Wiring Diagram.png
    02a-Auxillary Switches - Wiring Diagram.png
    253.9 KB · Views: 32

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just verified on EVIC. I have the choice between latching/momentary and batt/ignition. I want batt on my lights cause sometimes we unload at the cabin and don’t need to idle the truck but want lights.

I’m thinking something has to be wrong at the jumper plug under the dash. Anyone wiser than me able to help?

Jumper between 1 and 6 was cut. 1 was spliced to 5.

a8a0fc5497180467c1c2ae9108c93e8d.jpg

As I posted in the other thread, you have it wired correctly but connected your fog lights to the wrong wire at the chassis (12V BAT+) instead of the IGN+ wire you are trying to use.

GBourne

Reaction score
I have a set of Federal Signal Micro Pulse Ultra's mounted under the tailgate. They are wired into the reverse circuit and come on in reverse and also when I push the button to come on, but only while the truck is running, or 30 minutes after shut off, or if the battery drops past 12.2VDC.

My wiring is a little more complex than that, but it's the general idea in the end... IMG_7012.jpg

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Is it bad to run the extra LEDs off both the reverse circuit and an auxiliary switches since it may back feed without a diode?

GBourne

Reaction score
Is it bad to run the extra LEDs off both the reverse circuit and an auxiliary switches since it may back feed without a diode?

I would indeed run a diode on the OEM side to prevent back feed into the OEM wiring.

As I said before, my wiring is a little bit different due to having a siren installed in my truck. The OEM reverse wire is tapped and goes into my siren controller as an input, the controller is programmed to turn my extra reverse lights on when I go into reverse, or when I press the button, or I can turn them off when I don't want the reverse function being used, eg. if I have my warning lights on.
unnamed (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread