Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind Spot Monitor doesn't work with my 5th wheel trailer

Derrickallard

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Ram 3500 Laramie. My Blind spot monitor turns off and the message on the dash says incompatible trailer when I plug in my fifth wheel. The dealer does not know why! Does anyone else have this problem?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I have a 2023 Ram 3500 Laramie. My Blind spot monitor turns off and the message on the dash says incompatible trailer when I plug in my fifth wheel. The dealer does not know why! Does anyone else have this problem?
From your owner’s manual:
IMG_0032.jpeg
Choose conventional trailer instead.

Mwkatm

Reaction score
I've recently run into an issue where the Conventional vs Goose/Fith wheel option came up and I could toggle up and down between each selection, but when pressing "ok" to make the selection for conventional, the screen would stay up. And would not dismiss this selection screen for miles. This meant that I was unable to access ANY of the dash guage options. After about 20 min I pulled into a gas station and turned the truck off, when I got back in and turned it on the selection screen was gone. It has done this about 3 more times since then. It should be noted that I was pulling a bumper-pull utility trailer WITHOUT trailer brakes, just lights. I will keep an eye on it to see if it does it with my gooseneck trailer with brakes.

2024 3500 Laramie Mega Cab DRW with towing technology group.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I've recently run into an issue where the Conventional vs Goose/Fith wheel option came up and I could toggle up and down between each selection, but when pressing "ok" to make the selection for conventional, the screen would stay up. And would not dismiss this selection screen for miles. This meant that I was unable to access ANY of the dash guage options. After about 20 min I pulled into a gas station and turned the truck off, when I got back in and turned it on the selection screen was gone. It has done this about 3 more times since then. It should be noted that I was pulling a bumper-pull utility trailer WITHOUT trailer brakes, just lights. I will keep an eye on it to see if it does it with my gooseneck trailer with brakes.

The truck uses the brake circuit to detect the trailer, so if you’re getting trailer notifications on a 4pin trailer then you’ve got a short somewhere.

bamorris2

Reaction score
The blind spot equipment is in the rear taillights. 5th wheels are wider than bumper pulls and will often block the equipment from working. Thus it is deactivated when you select 5th wheel.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

The conventional/5th wheel selection screen should not even be popping up unless a 7-pin trailer connector is plugged in and the brake circuit detects resistance.
It is normal for the blind spot system to automatically detect a trailer length, even if it’s one with a 4-way connector (note, that it will also auto detect a car as a trailer length if it is following you closely through turns or curves).

Users who are viewing this thread