Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black smoke and the EPA

mcarey

Reaction score
Have you seen the areas where they mine lithium? Have you researched how many billions of gallons of fuel are used each year to make electric vehicles?

There is decades and decades of data showing just how bad living near mine sites are for ones health. Similarly, the same exists for exhaust particulate. I've got no idea what emission-deleted trucks have to do with EVs though. Both of these points are strawman arguments at best, and pretty bad ones at that.

Enve46

Reaction score
Ok at the risk of a new guy being flamed I'll give my 2 cents ....

I don't dislike the EPA. I'm old enough to know what the pre-EPA industrial situation looked like. Local rivers could be lit on fire or turned interesting colors at times. Raw sewage pumped into rivers and lakes. Air choked with soot from coal plants. Heavy metals from various fuels being emitted unchecked. To me, the EPA was a needed force to bring things into some sort of responsible method for keeping clean air and water. I do consider myself an environmentalist, but then again I drive a truck that gets 14 mpg. It's a balance and the way I see it if we all try to some extent we don't have to be perfect.

Is there over-reach, or mismanagement? Yes, at times there is. I happen to agree with the general thoughts on this thread, that the dpf push has reduced efficiency and raised costs in a way that isn't correctly evaluated. Some of that overreach is the EPA, some is Congress and administrations directing the agency. It doesn't make it all bad, just in need of better leadership and some checks on power. Another glaring example is ethanol policy, it's not a good solution but was pushed so hard that it's here to stay.

I truly don’t think everyone in this thread hates the EPA in entirety. And I can’t really argue with your points on what they have don’t that’s good… But just because, at one point in time they’ve done good, doesn’t mean they still are. There are things the EPA can do to move the needle more than deleted diesels but they turn their heads to it due to special interests of the government. They’ve lost a lot of credibility because of it. And while life isn’t fair people do like to see consistency with how things are regulated with some level of competency and common sense. None of which exist currently

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
I truly don’t think everyone in this thread hates the EPA in entirety. And I can’t really argue with your points on what they have don’t that’s good… But just because, at one point in time they’ve done good, doesn’t mean they still are. There are things the EPA can do to move the needle more than deleted diesels but they turn their heads to it due to special interests of the government. They’ve lost a lot of credibility because of it. And while life isn’t fair people do like to see consistency with how things are regulated with some level of competency and common sense. None of which exist currently
Just don't forget, the EPA is carrying out the laws and regulations that congress has passed. The agency might carry out the enforcement, and even provide guidance and "lobby" for certain laws to be imposed, but ultimately if you are mad at what they are doing you should write your representatives and make sure you vote.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Just don't forget, the EPA is carrying out the laws and regulations that congress has passed. The agency might carry out the enforcement, and even provide guidance and "lobby" for certain laws to be imposed, but ultimately if you are mad at what they are doing you should write your representatives and make sure you vote.

The EPA has written rules and regulation historically, unelected doofuses enacting and acting out, not merely enforcing genuine law.
A recent SCOTUS ruling would have curbed that a bit except that they are already working around and yes….vote properly and often.
I hate overreaching bureaucracy and screw it every chance I get, I hate rats also. Neighbors squealing on neighbors for the innocuous, sickening and sociopathic.

NightTrain

Reaction score
@Gondul would definitely approve! He's a fan of the Gestapo cant wait for it to grow (even more) in the US.

I never read that before. Don't like your neighbor or want anyone out of your way, just drop a dime and poof, gone - ruthless.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I never read that before. Don't like your neighbor or want anyone out of your way, just drop a dime and poof, gone - ruthless.
Look into McCarthy and the “House Committee on Un-American Activities”.

Interesting aside, the above is the genesis for “under god” being added to the pledge of allegiance.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
We have this system in place out here in UT, and I've absolutely used it before. Have no issues around admitting that. The last time I reported someone, the guy was in an older white 3500 that was slammed with some incredibly obnoxious chrome wheels. His choice in looks aside, he passed me like an absolute buffoon dumping vision disrupting amounts of black smoke all over the freeway out of a hilariously large exhaust tip. It was like a coal powered train going down the road.

The only other time I used it was at an intersection, with a guy (again driving like an *******) who was seemingly getting his rocks off flooding the road with soot at each light. I'm cool with him wanting to breathe that stuff in, but unfortunately he was one of the only people who didn't have to. And maybe it's Karen-like, but I enjoy having my windows down and breathing fresh air.

If you want to do that kind of stuff out in the middle of no where, have at it. But forcing others to deal with your excess pollution is unacceptable.
Had a fella in WV that thought it would be funny to do that on a group of motorcycles. Didn't end well for him and his diesel buddies.

mcarey

Reaction score
Had a fella in WV that thought it would be funny to do that on a group of motorcycles. Didn't end well for him and his diesel buddies.
Good. That's such a scumbag thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread