Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black smoke and the EPA

senecagreen

Reaction score
Have you heard there is a app for that?

With technology evolving so rapidly it's easier than ever to get anonymously reported. Because of the few who think it's making a statement to roll coal all diesel truck owners will soon potentially be able to be harrased by EV owners or others who think diesels should face extinction whether you are blowing black smoke or not.

The EPA already has a online form to anonymously report your tag and is not far off from a app where all a person has to do is upload a pic of your tag and then the EPA takes it from there.

That places the burden on us to prove we are legal when we are notified to report to a inspection station for a verification and its a inconvience when you are stock with all emmission equipment intact.

It's just a matter of time and it is a sad trend in our culture today.

jetrinka

Reaction score
While I agree with your premise, I also think rolling coal is dumb. It’s just throwing money out your tailpipe while being much harder on the engine. If you want to burn more fuel then you should be prepared to add the necessary air too. High EGT’s are diesel killers

If you’re blowing black smoke there’s work left to be done on a street truck

senecagreen

Reaction score
Loud motorcycles won't be far behind, we are entering an era of big brother enabled by the people. Millions of cell phone cameras and "for the good of the environment and future generations" make it too easy.

mcarey

Reaction score
We have this system in place out here in UT, and I've absolutely used it before. Have no issues around admitting that. The last time I reported someone, the guy was in an older white 3500 that was slammed with some incredibly obnoxious chrome wheels. His choice in looks aside, he passed me like an absolute buffoon dumping vision disrupting amounts of black smoke all over the freeway out of a hilariously large exhaust tip. It was like a coal powered train going down the road.

The only other time I used it was at an intersection, with a guy (again driving like an *******) who was seemingly getting his rocks off flooding the road with soot at each light. I'm cool with him wanting to breathe that stuff in, but unfortunately he was one of the only people who didn't have to. And maybe it's Karen-like, but I enjoy having my windows down and breathing fresh air.

If you want to do that kind of stuff out in the middle of no where, have at it. But forcing others to deal with your excess pollution is unacceptable.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
They already have a noise nanny here in kommieforina. All bike shave to have a ACRB approved exhaust system. You are not allowed to change them. One of the reasons I no longer have a bike.
Yes, the loud straight pipe noise is annoying, especially when they "ape" on the bike keeps revving it. Makes the rest of us look like fools to the cagers. But there are other exhaust systems that actually improve performance but are not obnoxiously loud, but not approved my the commies at CARB.

mcarey

Reaction score
They already have a noise nanny here in kommieforina. All bike shave to have a ACRB approved exhaust system. You are not allowed to change them. One of the reasons I no longer have a bike.
Yes, the loud straight pipe noise is annoying, especially when they "ape" on the bike keeps revving it. Makes the rest of us look like fools to the cagers. But there are other exhaust systems that actually improve performance but are not obnoxiously loud, but not approved my the commies at CARB.

Younger kid in my neighborhood picked up a bike this summer, and instantly swapped the pipes. After a few weeks of him ripping it up and down our road at WOT- waking up my 2 year old, my wife and I, and just generally being completely obnoxious - I finally walked over to his (parents) place one afternoon when he got home. Simple "dude, sweet bike but can you not rev it out in the neighborhood when you're coming and going?" stopped his antics instantly.

No idea if he just didn't realize how annoying it was to everyone, how loud it actually was, or if he's just a reasonable person who respects others - but I'm glad that **** stopped.

sanda

Reaction score
While I agree with your premise, I also think rolling coal is dumb. It’s just throwing money out your tailpipe while being much harder on the engine. If you want to burn more fuel then you should be prepared to add the necessary air too. High EGT’s are diesel killers

If you’re blowing black smoke there’s work left to be done on a street truck
Rolling coal is BS and should be prosecuted. It's not enforced in Colorado. A few times I've been sitting at stop lights, three lanes of traffic, and the idiot in front of us takes off from the light and blinds all of us, stopping all traffic. That ain't cool. I'm not a tree hugger and don't believe in government over reach but that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I've got no problem with the guys dumping signt distance impairing amounts of black smoke being reported. They're the dumbshits that F'd it up for all of us. I used to run a D'd truck that burned about as clean as any, ran cooler, cheaper and didn't require DEF. The only time you would ever see it blow any smoke was if I romped on it at high elevation, which was very rarely. I typically drive like I'm the one paying the fuel bill.

But thanks to all the dumbshits, those days are over. I'm back to pouring in DEF.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I will report anyone I don’t like…those who advocate brown-shirting of any kind, typically

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I once spent a weekend cleaning unburnt cooked diesel off the front of my (back then) new Audi.

I'm a big fan of MYOFB (mind your own F*ng business) and limited government overreach. However, rolling coal is juvenile asinine just plain stupid behavior. Delete all you want, just get decent tune for cryin' out loud.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I once spent a weekend cleaning unburnt cooked diesel off the front of my (back then) new Audi.

I'm a big fan of MYOFB (mind your own F*ng business) and limited government overreach. However, rolling coal is juvenile asinine just plain stupid behavior. Delete all you want, just get decent tune for cryin' out loud.
This. Exactly

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hopefully someone uses this on the tool I encountered the other night.

My wife and I were returning from a camping trip after dark with our travel trailer, descending a twisty mountain road. Some dbag in a 4th gen comes blasting up the mountain pouring out so much smoke I had to stop in the middle of the road for about 45 seconds because my headlights couldn’t penetrate it. Visibility was less than the length of my hood. Good thing I stopped as there was a sharp curve and a drop off right ahead of us.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hopefully someone uses this on the tool I encountered the other night.

My wife and I were returning from a camping trip after dark with our travel trailer, descending a twisty mountain road. Some dbag in a 4th gen comes blasting up the mountain pouring out so much smoke I had to stop in the middle of the road for about 45 seconds because my headlights couldn’t penetrate it. Visibility was less than the length of my hood. Good thing I stopped as there was a sharp curve and a drop off right ahead of us.
And those are the tools that are ruing it for everyone…

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Do they set up road blocks and do equipment checks on bikes?
If it's just a yearly inspection it's a quick job to swap a bikes pipe.

NightTrain

Reaction score
Have you heard there is a app for that?

With technology evolving so rapidly it's easier than ever to get anonymously reported. Because of the few who think it's making a statement to roll coal all diesel truck owners will soon potentially be able to be harrased by EV owners or others who think diesels should face extinction whether you are blowing black smoke or not.

The EPA already has a online form to anonymously report your tag and is not far off from a app where all a person has to do is upload a pic of your tag and then the EPA takes it from there.

That places the burden on us to prove we are legal when we are notified to report to a inspection station for a verification and its a inconvience when you are stock with all emmission equipment intact.

It's just a matter of time and it is a sad trend in our culture today.
A little off topic but, thought I'd share. NYC actually pays people to record idling trucks and turn them in - been going on for a while. Fighting the tickets is a PIA and they're not cheap. I've had drivers tell me they see people watching them for when they're about to pull over for a stop.

Enve46

Reaction score
While I certainly understand the "ruining it for everyone else" mindset but that doesn't change the fact of the over-reaching EPA. There's nothing more efficient about what they've done to diesels with these plastic DEF jugs everywhere, trucks getting WORSE fuel mileage which in turn uses MORE oil/fuel etc... You all know the argument Im making. A well-tuned, deleted diesel will be way more efficient. Whether asshats or not exist, EVERYONE needs to continue to stand against it and support things like the RPM Act and most importantly, vote in representatives the support our beliefs.

I will say there are few things more annoying than these idiots pouring black smoke out the back of their diesels but every group of the car industry has the select few that make us all get a bad label. This does NOT excuse the over-reach EPA or government in my opinion. Its my belief you're either ALL IN or ALL OUT. There's no middle ground with these people, we must be the same way

senecagreen

Reaction score
There is probably a market for used oem emmissions parts and wise to hang on to oem parts if you think you will need them. Even just picking up a super low mile dpf for when it needs to be replaced down the road.

jetrinka

Reaction score
A little off topic but, thought I'd share. NYC actually pays people to record idling trucks and turn them in - been going on for a while. Fighting the tickets is a PIA and they're not cheap. I've had drivers tell me they see people watching them for when they're about to pull over for a stop.

Hilarious! Especially because diesels run so lean at idle its ridiculous!

NightTrain

Reaction score
It's a joke and just a money grab for the city. New diesels run cleaner than most other vehicles on the road right now but, no one is promoting that in the industry. Most people still have the misconception that trucks run dirty.

jsalbre

Reaction score
It’s not just for diesels, the same law applies to gas engines there as well.

One or two vehicles don’t make much impact, but many thousands of vehicles of both types idling at once are a pretty substantial polluter. I’d expect it makes a difference in noise pollution as well. The noise level of the average NYC street approaches OSHA limits, and many of them surpass it. Obviously you’re never going to silence the city, or completely eliminate all pollution, but that doesn’t mean efforts shouldn’t be made to improve it.

Users who are viewing this thread