Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware Shattered windows caused by (in channel) vent visors

whitexc

Reaction score
The wind noise is substantial and as much as I don’t like it mine are in for the haul. I like em enough to deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44Dan44

Reaction score
Thanks to the OP for this PSA so I can get you all to contact AVS, Lund, etc and ask for this with me ;)
Rant (pic heavy) photo dump 1 of 2

I have used in-channel successfully in the past with no damage.....but, all the usual problems, occasional window reverse, pulled a bit of tint on the edge from the extra pressure, sometimes a real pain to install, etc.
So, I was happy enough with the product but not in love with in-channel.

A few cars I have owned looked really great with the tape-on style visors and they all had one thing in common (the ones that looked great) :the visors met in the middle, meaning no obvious gap at the pillars. What is available for the 20-23 Ram HD however is not acceptable TO ME, no offense intended to anyone who has gone this route, some people see things differently, some people could care less, as long as it keeps out the rain.

Once I see this, I can't unsee it, and I can't put in on my truck. This problem is made even worse when the pillar tape on the Ram is slightly higher or lower than needed so it looks even wonkier with the visors adding another layer of "this offends my eyes" appearance.
5 examples of what I don't like.
Image 12-20-22 at 9.57 AM.jpgImage 12-20-22 at 9.58 AM.jpgImage 12-20-22 at 10.03 AM.jpgImage 12-20-22 at 10.04 AM.jpgImage 12-20-22 at 10.05 AM.jpg

Reactions: AFF

44Dan44

Reaction score
Photo batch 2 of 2, if it merges great, if not separate post.

Here is what I want, way better aesthetically in my opinion. I can find nothing available for 20-23 Crew Cab. Note how the visors meet in the middle on the B pillar.
Image 12-20-22 at 9.56 AM.jpgImage 12-20-22 at 9.54 AM 2.jpgImage 12-20-22 at 9.54 AM.jpgImage 12-20-22 at 9.52 AM 2.jpgImage 12-20-22 at 9.52 AM.jpg

Reactions: AFF

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
The wind noise is substantial and as much as I don’t like it mine are in for the haul. I like em enough to deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well worth the chance of an odd broken window, between the nonexistent rain channels and switches arrayed in the door…
The ability of stealthy and rain proof window cracking while parked here in our heat, broken glass pffft.
Yep, those stick on type look horrible but if a window would break the bank they are better than nothing.

Chris1911

Reaction score
If these are Weathertech, I'd put money on the metal retention clip being installed incorrectly and chipping the edge of the window causing it to shatter.
I've installed these on the last three trucks I've had. Luckily, never had an issue like this.
Those clips are a real pain in the ass to install and I can see them easily being installed incorrectly as well.

I think you are correct. I have Weather Techs. The first set i originally bought did not have the metal clips and were fine, except that i rolled my windows down one day while driving and the right rear flew off and got ran over by the car behind me. The replacement they sent me had the metal clips. The next morning after installing it, when i was about to head to work, i found the glass shattered. Thought someone had broken in. I don't think i installed the clips wrong though.

After getting the glass replaced, i reinstalled the shade, but without the clip. I just put extra tape on it. Haven't had a problem since and it's been around two years.

52018909604_7a2dae2eb3_c.jpg

DeadEnd

Reaction score
I think you are correct. I have Weather Techs. The first set i originally bought did not have the metal clips and were fine, except that i rolled my windows down one day while driving and the right rear flew off and got ran over by the car behind me. The replacement they sent me had the metal clips. The next morning after installing it, when i was about to head to work, i found the glass shattered. Thought someone had broken in. I don't think i installed the clips wrong though.

After getting the glass replaced, i reinstalled the shade, but without the clip. I just put extra tape on it. Haven't had a problem since and it's been around two years.

52018909604_7a2dae2eb3_c.jpg
That exact same thing happened to my 05 when I rolled the window down on the highway....Have yet to replace it lol.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks to the OP for this PSA so I can get you all to contact AVS, Lund, etc and ask for this with me ;)
Rant (pic heavy) photo dump 1 of 2

I have used in-channel successfully in the past with no damage.....but, all the usual problems, occasional window reverse, pulled a bit of tint on the edge from the extra pressure, sometimes a real pain to install, etc.
So, I was happy enough with the product but not in love with in-channel.

A few cars I have owned looked really great with the tape-on style visors and they all had one thing in common (the ones that looked great) :the visors met in the middle, meaning no obvious gap at the pillars. What is available for the 20-23 Ram HD however is not acceptable TO ME, no offense intended to anyone who has gone this route, some people see things differently, some people could care less, as long as it keeps out the rain.

Once I see this, I can't unsee it, and I can't put in on my truck. This problem is made even worse when the pillar tape on the Ram is slightly higher or lower than needed so it looks even wonkier with the visors adding another layer of "this offends my eyes" appearance.
5 examples of what I don't like.
View attachment 49064View attachment 49065View attachment 49066View attachment 49067View attachment 49068
My black tradesman looks better than these with my stick ons thankfully 94644515-43EE-4947-8714-3646FD06D610.jpeg

Darmichar

Reaction score

The issue with the clips is it's very hard to tell if they are installed properly. The tool they send doesn't really give you enough leverage to easily shove the clip up into the channel and seat it properly. It takes a lot of pressure to seat them.
I've found that if you can wait till the weather is hot or can install them in a heated garage or have access to a heat gun to warm the weatherstripping, they go in much easier and you have a better chance of being successful.
I've installed them enough times on my own vehicles as well as other people's vehicles that I'm now more concerned about the finely ground edge getting screwed up working it around the clips more than I am worried about the clips being seated properly.

Darmichar

Reaction score
Photo batch 2 of 2, if it merges great, if not separate post.

Here is what I want, way better aesthetically in my opinion. I can find nothing available for 20-23 Crew Cab. Note how the visors meet in the middle on the B pillar.
View attachment 49073
I like the 'bolted' look of these. Bought a truck way back in the day that had a set of stick on visors and I loved them.
I loved them right up until the point that the front edge got loose enough one day while I was driving down the interstate and the wind hit just right and peeled the front edge off and shattered the visor about halfway.
It sounded like a shotgun going off right by my head. Scared the **** out of me and took me a minute to figure out what was going on.
I know the adhesives they use now have come a LONG way from what it was back in the 90's when I had these, but I'll deal with the little bit of wind noise I get with the in channels and not have to worry about it.

Firebird

Reaction score
The issue with the clips is it's very hard to tell if they are installed properly. The tool they send doesn't really give you enough leverage to easily shove the clip up into the channel and seat it properly. It takes a lot of pressure to seat them.
I've found that if you can wait till the weather is hot or can install them in a heated garage or have access to a heat gun to warm the weatherstripping, they go in much easier and you have a better chance of being successful.
I've installed them enough times on my own vehicles as well as other people's vehicles that I'm now more concerned about the finely ground edge getting screwed up working it around the clips more than I am worried about the clips being seated properly.
I have to admit, that my clips were amazingly easy to install, only took less than a minute per window. I assume there could be differences between the brands though?

44Dan44

Reaction score
I like the 'bolted' look of these. Bought a truck way back in the day that had a set of stick on visors and I loved them.
I loved them right up until the point that the front edge got loose enough one day while I was driving down the interstate and the wind hit just right and peeled the front edge off and shattered the visor about halfway.
It sounded like a shotgun going off right by my head. Scared the **** out of me and took me a minute to figure out what was going on.
I know the adhesives they use now have come a LONG way from what it was back in the 90's when I had these, but I'll deal with the little bit of wind noise I get with the in channels and not have to worry about it.
I'm not on the record complaining about wind noise though many do on both styles. Also reports of in-channels flying out or breaking while driving so I don't think its a choose this and they fly off or choose this and you get wind noise, etc. I just want nicer stick ons for a crew cab, those bolt style are only for quad cab according to their website.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe this is crazy, but worth mentioning as a hypothetical. Is there any possibility that the addition of the in-channel vent visors could, in some instances, be creating some high-level road noise that the active noise control is picking up and then trying to cancel? I don’t know much about those ANC systems other than they can hear noises and then create sounds or frequencies to cancel out unwanted road noise or engine sounds. Ram was pretty adamant about reducing NVH on this generation of trucks. Just not sure if the ANC system can put out a frequency to such a degree that it could potentially break glass. Not sure if these breaks are only happening while stationary, or when moving. It just seems odd to me that we’ve had in-channel vent shades for decades and I don’t recall them causing breakages before. Probably making myself look like a fool but just figured I’d toss it out there. I’ve been called worse lol

Users who are viewing this thread