Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware Shattered windows caused by (in channel) vent visors

UglyViking

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO I've seen this happen all over the internet, luckily no personal experience, but I don't think it's ever been directly attributed to in channel vent visors. Frankly, I'm struggling to see how such a thin piece of plastic, wedged between the glass and a piece of rubber, are able to cause this sort of damage. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but I do think there may be more to this, or too many unknowns to make it a guaranteed thing. Is there any more information you have on this?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Brutal_HO I've seen this happen all over the internet, luckily no personal experience, but I don't think it's ever been directly attributed to in channel vent visors. Frankly, I'm struggling to see how such a thin piece of plastic, wedged between the glass and a piece of rubber, are able to cause this sort of damage. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but I do think there may be more to this, or too many unknowns to make it a guaranteed thing. Is there any more information you have on this?

Just the myriad of pics and first person accounts posted on a thread.

It takes very little highly focused energy (spike) to break tempered glass. I can foresee an issue where the material deforms/buckles under sever temperature variance and puts pressure on the glass.

Make note I used the words PSA and "apparently." You can take it or leave it as you wish. I notice the most butthurt often seems to come from someone that has invested time or money into a product or service when said item is even slightly disparaged. Not calling you butthurt or anything. ;)

ZaTHRaS

Reaction score
Don't know about the cold but, apparently tungsten carbide is a tempered glass killer!
When installing my vent shade, I was test fitting the RR with the glass most of the way down, when lowering the vent shade, my hand touched the top of the glass and it exploded! Initial thought was someone shot at me o_O but, the only thing behind me was my house. After some time of total confusion and google, realized my tungsten carbide ring was likely the cause as it has happened to others. We're talking "touch" without any force. I was pissed and shocked and out $100. Thankful for glass coverage.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
All that I have installed will have a pronounced transition when the glass hits the shade so I shave and file the shade until that becomes seamless, whether the safety rebound feature has issue or not.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Just the myriad of pics and first person accounts posted on a thread.

It takes very little highly focused energy (spike) to break tempered glass. I can foresee an issue where the material deforms/buckles under sever temperature variance and puts pressure on the glass.

Make note I used the words PSA and "apparently." You can take it or leave it as you wish. I notice the most butthurt often seems to come from someone that has invested time or money into a product or service when said item is even slightly disparaged. Not calling you butthurt or anything. ;)
Perhaps there is a unique mounting component that I've not had with previous in-channel visors. All my previous visors had flat plastic that touched the window, so there would not have been any "spike" that transferred energy, not to mention that the difference in hardness between the two materials.

Luckily for me, I don't sell these and have no vested interest in their success or failure. So I don't have to worry about any weird circular logic on not being called butthurt.

Thanks for sharing!

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
My father kept wanting these on his 22…I keep telling him they look stupid, block part of the windows that are already on the short side (compared with his old 2nd gen). My biggest issue is they ruin the window seal after a while- add the potential breakage issue as another reason

Chris1911

Reaction score
When it happened to me, it looked just like the third pic. I thought someone had broken into my truck. It was not cold when it broke.

What's weird is that it mostly seems to happen to the right rear glass (as did mine).

DeadEnd

Reaction score
Was definitely looking at adding some in channel visors when my truck arrives. Second guessing it now...maybe stick on ones? Any good brands?

flan

Reaction score
Was definitely looking at adding some in channel visors when my truck arrives. Second guessing it now...maybe stick on ones? Any good brands?
I’ve had them for decades, along with dozens of people I know. Not an issue, until it’s a issue lol. I have the oem Ram ones. Probably not much different than the rest...

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
My father had AVS on his 1996 Cummins. Stick on no issues lasted 10 years and broke from the sun, replaced under warranty.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I run the AVS stick ons as i like them much better than the in channel i have been running em for ever on all my trucks no issues

Darmichar

Reaction score
If these are Weathertech, I'd put money on the metal retention clip being installed incorrectly and chipping the edge of the window causing it to shatter.
I've installed these on the last three trucks I've had. Luckily, never had an issue like this.
Those clips are a real pain in the ass to install and I can see them easily being installed incorrectly as well.

UglyViking

Reaction score
If these are Weathertech, I'd put money on the metal retention clip being installed incorrectly and chipping the edge of the window causing it to shatter.
I've installed these on the last three trucks I've had. Luckily, never had an issue like this.
Those clips are a real pain in the ass to install and I can see them easily being installed incorrectly as well.
Totally forgot about those little metal clips. On the first/second and last images I could see this being the issue, as it looks like the crack started towards the top. First crack looks like it was towards the front of the vehicle, and the last image looks like the rear. If memory serves there are 2 clips per window? If so, that looks to be about where they were positioned.

The third image looks like it could have been a rock from a lawnmower or anything else that may have introduced a micro crack that closing the door or something else pushed over the edge. Or a break in.

Good call out about those clips, totally forgot about them!

Users who are viewing this thread