Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best hitch to use to tow 35ft TT with 2019 Ram Laramie

kan0wat

Reaction score
New to it all.!!! I am looking at what the best set up for me would be when it comes to getting the right Anti-sway / Weight distribution set up for towing 35ft TT #9000 - #10000 lbs. Have a Ram 2019 2500 Laramie 6.7l as TV with Bags. any help would be greatly appreciated

MikeXM

Reaction score
There are several options available at different price point.

I'm partial to the Hensley Arrow. This is guaranteed to get ride off trailer sway. But probably the most expensive system. Been using it for the last 10 years, and that was 100% trailer sway free years.

With a TT as long as yours, if you do a lot of travel, you might want to consider this system. If you are mostly local, it might be overkill.

See video here.:

kan0wat

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I will be moving from Idaho to Chesapeake VA. Thats about the longest trip i will be taking for a while. Maybe once a month to camp grounds around the east coast with the wife and kids. was looking at the Hensley Arrow, and the Blue OX i believe its called. just not sure what to get

Phil T

Reaction score
Equal-i-zer is the only weight distribution hitch that also has anti-sway built right in. I looked at them all and none come close to the Equal-i-zer setup. It's probably the most expensive, too. Check it out at etrailer.com. I bought mine from them several years ago and self installed and self adjusted it. It was straightforward by following the detailed instructions. I used it first on my old 1999 K2500 Suburban. When I got my new 2019 Ram, I hooked it up to check out and reset the weight distribution. To my surprise, it was perfect. The only thing I did was buy the shank that is correct for the class 5 hitch. I was not going to use a sleeve when towing such a big trailer.

Just my opinion and I am sure that there are as many different opinions as there are hitches.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Husky has a version of the same basic WD w/anti-sway Equal-i-zer has that a lot of RV dealers are pushing if not the Blue-Ox.

You can also look around for a Hensley or Propride refurbished or used if the sticker shock floored you and you want that level of anti-sway.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Phil, I gotta correct you:
Equal-i-zer is the only weight distribution hitch that also has anti-sway built right in.
Not at all. Please see for my post above on the Hensley Arrow.
Although you could say that technically the Hensley Arrow is an Anti-sway hitch (first) with build-in weight distribution.

I looked at them all and none come close to the Equal-i-zer setup. It's probably the most expensive, too.
Far from it. Equal-i-zer is $600 - $850. The Hensley Arrow is over $2500.

Equal-i-zer controls sway by friction. With enough force to overcome that friction you still can experience sway.
Hensley Arrow prevents sway to be even possible by design. And no friction needed in the loop.

You can go read more here. They review all types of hitches:

Quoted from above link:
"The above-reviewed weight distribution hitches use friction as a means to control trailer sway.
Friction can only do so much.
It helps control sway.
It doesn't prevent sway. (Yes, there is a difference). "

Wileykid

Reaction score
Hensley, and Pro-Pride, are probably the best, and most expensive. I have been towing a 10K lb, 30' toy hauler with a Husky Centerline WDH for a number of years, and all over the country in all weather. Never have had a problem, or sway. It just works. Equal-i-zer is also a very good WDH.

flan

Reaction score
I ran no WDH for a year. Passing semis and towing on windy days was just miserable. I went with the equalizer and it solved all my sway and bounce issues when going over bumps/expansion joints. I have never used anything else so cannot further comment.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Congrats on the truck and for reaching out to get some advice. I would just caution you to know the cargo capacity of your truck with the 6.7. Cummins before loading up and towing long distance. Sounds like you‘re moving house so you’ll be heavy I’m guessing. The heavier Cummins diesel engine is beast and can tow like a mother BUT can also eat up your cargo capacity in a 2500 truck. A 10,000 lb trailer Is heavy and I would guess your tongue weight will be over a 1,000 lbs which eats into the trucks cargo capacity - TT tongue weight, people, stuff etc combined weight. Towing is easy but you want to be able to stop and keep the vehicle under control while you’re underway. Second piece of advice make sure you have quality tires on your TT and have a TPMS on it.

You’re off to a great start, the auto level rear suspension is money well spent. You’ll have a pleasant tow experience and the ride will be cushy. Even though you have self leveling it’s definitely smart to use a WDH/anti sway hitch, my advice is don‘t ever tow without one. Since you’re new to this I’ll point out there’s a difference in weight distribution and sway control. Your truck has anti sway features built in but additional safety is important. Sway will vary dependent on size and type of trailer. If you’ve ever ridden a bicycle in the wind or carried a large flat object outside on a windy day you can relate to affects of wind and sway. The larger the TT the more surface area for wind to affect.

Weight distribution hitches will take the squat off the rear springs/air bags by distributing the weight partially from the frame of the trailer to the chassis of your truck. That causes the truck and trailer to ride fairly level and the front end of the truck/wheels to keep solid contact with the ground to ensure positive steering control. There are several good hitches on the market all claiming some advantage over others. The Equalizer has a huge reputation and seems to dominate the market. It’s made by the same company that also makes the Fastway E2 WDH. There is a price point difference between them but it’s a one time purchase, both are good products but the Equalizer is the king of anti sway control.

I pasted a video from a guy on YouTube, Big Truck Big RV, who does a good job in my opinion of explaining RV related tow stuff. He has a big following online and is a strong advocate for the Equalizer. Enjoy the video he has lots more on there that are informative. Feel free to PM me if you want, you’re headed my way. I’m located in Northern VA, let me know if you need any help when you get to the area.

Jim

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Weight distribution hitches will take the squat off the rear springs/air bags by distributing the weight partially from the frame of the trailer to the chassis of your truck. That causes the truck and trailer to ride fairly level and the front end of the truck/wheels to keep solid contact with the ground to ensure positive steering control. There are several good hitches on the market all claiming some advantage over others. The Equalizer has a huge reputation and seems to dominate the market. It’s made by the same company that also makes the Fastway E2 WDH. There is a price point difference between them but it’s a one time purchase, both are good products but the Equalizer is the king of anti sway control.

Jim

WD hitches also transfer weight to the trailer axles.

Here's a REALLY good video I often point new users to.

kan0wat

Reaction score
Congrats on the truck and for reaching out to get some advice. I would just caution you to know the cargo capacity of your truck with the 6.7. Cummins before loading up and towing long distance. Sounds like you‘re moving house so you’ll be heavy I’m guessing. The heavier Cummins diesel engine is beast and can tow like a mother BUT can also eat up your cargo capacity in a 2500 truck. A 10,000 lb trailer Is heavy and I would guess your tongue weight will be over a 1,000 lbs which eats into the trucks cargo capacity - TT tongue weight, people, stuff etc combined weight. Towing is easy but you want to be able to stop and keep the vehicle under control while you’re underway. Second piece of advice make sure you have quality tires on your TT and have a TPMS on it.

You’re off to a great start, the auto level rear suspension is money well spent. You’ll have a pleasant tow experience and the ride will be cushy. Even though you have self leveling it’s definitely smart to use a WDH/anti sway hitch, my advice is don‘t ever tow without one. Since you’re new to this I’ll point out there’s a difference in weight distribution and sway control. Your truck has anti sway features built in but additional safety is important. Sway will vary dependent on size and type of trailer. If you’ve ever ridden a bicycle in the wind or carried a large flat object outside on a windy day you can relate to affects of wind and sway. The larger the TT the more surface area for wind to affect.

I pasted a video from a guy on YouTube, Big Truck Big RV, who does a good job in my opinion of explaining RV related tow stuff. He has a big following online and is a strong advocate for the Equalizer. Enjoy the video he has lots more on there that are informative. Feel free to PM me if you want, you’re headed my way. I’m located in Northern VA, let me know if you need any help when you get to the area.

Jim

Jim thank you for your response, lot of great info. After reading posts I called the dealer and changed my order to the 2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 6'4" bed 4x4 Laramie with the Lv 2 equipment group 6.7l with the bags. I had that payload of around 2100# in the back of my mind from the beginning. Wanted that better ride as the truck will be a daily driver once I get the family and myself to Va. but like to carry more than myself in the truck.. Going to start off with the E2 Equalizer and see how that goes. Taking it SLOW down the road....lol

kan0wat

Reaction score
I want to than everyone for their responses, lot of great information and looking forward to the new adventures. I am sure that I will have many more questions as time goes on. Feels good to be able to ask questions and get honest answers. I will update my tag line once I move out of Alaska and pick up the new toys!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim thank you for your response, lot of great info. After reading posts I called the dealer and changed my order to the 2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 6'4" bed 4x4 Laramie with the Lv 2 equipment group 6.7l with the bags. I had that payload of around 2100# in the back of my mind from the beginning. Wanted that better ride as the truck will be a daily driver once I get the family and myself to Va. but like to carry more than myself in the truck.. Going to start off with the E2 Equalizer and see how that goes. Taking it SLOW down the road....lol

I recommend one of the 4-point systems. The 2-point is less effective controlling sway.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
You made a good decision moving up to the 3500 and keeping the air bags. You’ll be able to tow pretty much anything you want without worry about maxing out the cargo cap. The E2 trunion bars with 12,000 lb capability will work just fine for your rig. My advice is be smart towing, watch the 18 wheelers - keep your distance where you can - keep your speed reasonable and you’ll be fine. I pasted a link to the E2 video you’ll see the owner talks specifically about it providing sway control. Congrats again and send pics of your new truck and your trip along the way. Sounds like quite a journey towing from Alaska to here.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Hensley Arrow prevents sway to be even possible by design. And no friction needed in the loop.
That's why it's (ProPride too) referred to as an articulating hitch. It allows the trailer to move laterally without adversely affecting the trajectory of the TV. They work well but are costly and can be a PITA to hook up.

MikeXM

Reaction score
That's why it's (ProPride too) referred to as an articulating hitch. It allows the trailer to move laterally without adversely affecting the trajectory of the TV. They work well but are costly and can be a PITA to hook up.
I can usually hook up in 20 seconds except if I'm showing someone how easy it is to hook it up. Then, all hell breaks loose every single time.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Lots of other great comments here. I’m towing an 8k# Airstream with a 2500 Hemi using an Equalizer hitch. I’d have gone with the ProPride with the price weren’t so high, but the Equalizer is doing a great job. Seeing that ProPride sells the Equalizer on their site I feel pretty comfortable with my decision.

Either way you can’t go wrong with one of those hitches.

Good call on switching over to the 3500. If I had gone diesel I’d have done the same.

JLB

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Laramie etorque 3.90 rear pulling 2020 Grand Design 260RB. The equalizer didn't work well for me with friction sway control along with being really noisy. I purchased the ProPride & it made a big difference in sway/waggle & noise level. Both truck-trailer move together as one unit on windy days & big trucks producing no white knuckles. Yes, pricy but relieved road fatigue. I weighted truck, truck-trailer no wd & truck-trailer with wd. I moved 260 lbs to the front & 120 lbs to the trailer & no noise.

Users who are viewing this thread