Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"beadlock ring" holes

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
had a thought this morning and wondering if anyone else has had the same thought or has done it.

On the "beadlock" ring, there are 8 more holes in the rim that were not drilled in the ring. I got to thinking about drilling the holes and adding the extra 8 bolts, just for a looks perspective. I know it will not make it a true bead lock. But was just thinking it may look better.

So what are your thoughts?

Anyone already done it?

Bcool1

Reaction score
I have not. I've looked for bead lock rings that may fit from other manufacturers. I have thought about trying some to see if they'd work.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Yea, RAM has not made any for these rims.
And they have a different bolt pattern/number of bolts than other rings out there.

The TRX has the same style of rim, but is a 18" and they do have a actual bead lock ring for them. But that doesn't help us any.

Bcool1

Reaction score
I have seen some 17" rings with the same number of bolts, have you tried any? I haven't taken mine off, do you think it would look good with ring off with bolts in all of the holes?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I haven't seen any that will fit our rims.
Here is what it looks like without the ring. I took this when I painted mine.
Screenshot_20230607_093124_Gallery.jpg

Bcool1

Reaction score

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
That could possibly work.
Just need to know the dia of the bolt holes, inner and outer dia of the ring to make sure it will fit.
Would like to see the back side of it as well.
And what the beadlock rim looks like to see if it's the same as our's.
I'll be pulling my rings off tomorrow as I'm getting new tires. So I'll get a picture of the back side and post it.

Bcool1

Reaction score
Well, I will go in halvsies if you want to order some and try! I just got new tires, I am tempted to order but don't really want to take the tire off again. I have asked if they can get me some measurements. Not sure the current bolt pattern, these appear to take 5/16"-18 x 1-1/4" bolts.

Pearce

Reaction score
A true bead lock ring is not going to work the same as simulated. A true 17" bead lock ring sandwiches the bead between the rim and ring for an R17" tire. It will be a different diameter. Need a simulated ring to do what your thinking about trying.

I guess you could bolt it up if the diameter is right but probably wont be the look you're after.

1686162199905.png

Last edited:

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Would be awesome if you guys found the correct rings to get these wheels from beadlock-ready to actual bead locks. Beadlocks are the best upgrade besides going to stickies.

I know y’all aren’t there yet but Fwiw I “glue” my inner beads on all my sets of beadlocks to help from burping air out at 4psi or whatever you decide to run. It helps a lot. It’s like super strong black rubber cement.

EC0188D6-CB9B-41F2-AE63-F1A39CD8762C.jpeg

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
The rims from RAM are bead lock rims.
Just they put on a beauty ring as a beadlock is not legal in some states for public roads.
Problem is, RAM never produced the beadlock ring for the 17" beadlock wheels that come on the Power Wagon.
But they did produce one for the 18" rims on the TRX.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Get some measurements for the hole pattern and diameters then its easy to have some made for a decent price

Hibiki54

Reaction score
had a thought this morning and wondering if anyone else has had the same thought or has done it.

On the "beadlock" ring, there are 8 more holes in the rim that were not drilled in the ring. I got to thinking about drilling the holes and adding the extra 8 bolts, just for a looks perspective. I know it will not make it a true bead lock. But was just thinking it may look better.

So what are your thoughts?

Anyone already done it?
Sure. If it's just for looks then there shouldn't be an issue. All you need is a mill and some basic machinist tools.

For those wondering, true beadlocks have teeth or grooves on the ring or on both the wheel and ring to securely hold the tire bead in place. The Mopar 75A wheels are true beadlocks but are shipped in the simulated beadlock form due to liability reasons. Even big box commercial tire places like Discount Tire and Just Tires (among others) will not install beadlocks wheels on your tires.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sure. If it's just for looks then there shouldn't be an issue. All you need is a mill and some basic machinist tools.

For those wondering, true beadlocks have teeth or grooves on the ring or on both the wheel and ring to securely hold the tire bead in place. The Mopar 75A wheels are true beadlocks but are shipped in the simulated beadlock form due to liability reasons. Even big box commercial tire places like Discount Tire and Just Tires (among others) will not install beadlocks wheels on your tires.
You dont need a mill to tap the holes or drill the rings and not all beadlocks have serrated rings nor do they need them i have made plenty of beadlock wheels out of old steel wheels for rock crawling never made any serrated rings unless you are rock bouncing or other high HP applications such as drag racing

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

One of the benefits of beadlock wheels is no longer needing a tire shop in your life.

Hegear

Reaction score
I’m talking to a machine shop who makes these for the mopar wheels that come on the v8 Jeep Jl. He thinks his may work but need a diameter measurement for the ring Bolt holes. Does anybody have that? I’m out of town at the moment so can’t measure mine. If any one can get that, we may even be able to come up with some sort of group buy.

Users who are viewing this thread