Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks Monster Ram Air intake

Gr8WhiteRam

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this Forum. I am hope to be able to turn my truck into a functional monster in all directions. I purchased my truck in July of 2020. I have a 2017 Laramie, with the 6.7 Cummins. I am fully deleted with GDP SOF and the 68RFe protect kit. I am wanting to add the Banks Monster Ram Air intake but I can't find any info if it will work without the Grid Heater delete. I live in Alaska so the heater is a necessity for me. Does anyone know if I order this intake manifold if it will work with the Grid heater or have any suggestions on what to use?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this Forum. I am hope to be able to turn my truck into a functional monster in all directions. I purchased my truck in July of 2020. I have a 2017 Laramie, with the 6.7 Cummins. I am fully deleted with GDP SOF and the 68RFe protect kit. I am wanting to add the Banks Monster Ram Air intake but I can't find any info if it will work without the Grid Heater delete. I live in Alaska so the heater is a necessity for me. Does anyone know if I order this intake manifold if it will work with the Grid heater or have any suggestions on what to use?
It should work with the grid heater aswell

Xflight29

Reaction score
what do you want to achieve by going to a Banks air-intake ? A friend of mine did this and made no contribution to the truck at all.

clawdog79

Reaction score
what do you want to achieve by going to a Banks air-intake ? A friend of mine did this and made no contribution to the truck at all.

It increases the sound of the turbo whistle significantly. That’s the main reason I added a S&B cold air intake. I’m guessing the Banks intake would do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It increases the sound of the turbo whistle significantly. That’s the main reason I added a S&B cold air intake. I’m guessing the Banks intake would do the same.

Not the samething this is the actual pipe bend going in to the intake.... they do make a difference according to banks dyno videos but the biggest reason i have one on my 05 cummins is its already tapped for multiple uses... i found lots more power but that was with the whole kit from intake scoop to exhaust

clawdog79

Reaction score
Not the samething this is the actual pipe bend going in to the intake.... they do make a difference according to banks dyno videos but the biggest reason i have one on my 05 cummins is its already tapped for multiple uses... i found lots more power but that was with the whole kit from intake scoop to exhaust

My mistake. I assumed he was referring to a cold air intake. Carry on :)

carl2591

Reaction score
The banks Monster Ram Intake system looks cools and according to banks info improves flow to engine. "Flows 1008 cfm, a 133% increase over stock"

(thinking about a 2018 ram model.. )

My question would be with all the "stuff" behind the turbo would the increase in airflow be of ANY help on making the engine more efficient at min and produce some more HP at best. I am guessing short of a "diet" the intake will be on no use..

thought?? do you have one and what has been your experience??

"I understand this is a Race/Off-Road only product and is NOT for Sale/Use in California." saw this as well so that seem to indicate your ram is on a diet before this product.. HUMMMM

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The banks Monster Ram Intake system looks cools and according to banks info improves flow to engine. "Flows 1008 cfm, a 133% increase over stock"

(thinking about a 2018 ram model.. )

My question would be with all the "stuff" behind the turbo would the increase in airflow be of ANY help on making the engine more efficient at min and produce some more HP at best. I am guessing short of a "diet" the intake will be on no use..

thought?? do you have one and what has been your experience??

"I understand this is a Race/Off-Road only product and is NOT for Sale/Use in California." saw this as well so that seem to indicate your ram is on a diet before this product.. HUMMMM
They make you think you’re getting more power because they make more noise. That’s all

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
do it for the noise. don't let these pawpaws talk ya out of it. :D

carl2591

Reaction score
love the "noise" for sure.. LOL.. I watch a guy in spokane WA that runs a bunch of rams in a hot shot business.. He was saying they put a S&B air filter intake system on a 2020 I believe, and he noticed an improvement in the power.. or the power was lower in the RPM range and it just felt better.. plus,, it help with MPG. something like .75 or 1 mile a gallon more.. take a looksee.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They make you think you’re getting more power because they make more noise. That’s all
The monster intake is actually dynoed by banks and there is an increase i remember when i bought mine for my 05 watching their dyno vids i mainly wanted it for the pre taped 1/8 npt ports..... banks is one of the few company's that isnt full of s**t with their numbers

TXLaramie

Reaction score
Awakening a dead thread here...maybe I should just check the Banks website or call them, but does anyone here know whether the Ram Air Intake will void your warranty, or if it requires a tune to utilize? If it doesn't require a tune, is there truly any benefit to it. I.E. if my truck isn't deleted and do not have plans for a tune outside of emissions intact Derringer possibly until after warranty is up.

Thanks for any help here.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Awakening a dead thread here...maybe I should just check the Banks website or call them, but does anyone here know whether the Ram Air Intake will void your warranty, or if it requires a tune to utilize? If it doesn't require a tune, is there truly any benefit to it. I.E. if my truck isn't deleted and do not have plans for a tune outside of emissions intact Derringer possibly until after warranty is up.

Thanks for any help here.
Anything modified would void warranty… also look at tunes without emissions they are much better

carl2591

Reaction score
Watching any PD Diesel video is a waste of time too. Never gets to the point.

WELLL.. he does "get to the point" but sometime the "point" is a moving target.. main thing i got was the SB intake does not increase HP just the power band feels better.. and when towing .75 to 1 mile per gallon better. to me that's a good point.. more than likely the same for the bank intake but now you are spending 100 bucks more.. i see the banks a better benefit on a "lighter weight" truck with 4" pipe with flow through muffler.. then you can flow some air in and out..

jvbuttex

Reaction score
OP, its been quite a few months. What did you do? Did ya get the intake? intake only. I don't know the 6.7 efficiency well enough. However in my hot rodding knowledge, unless its the bottle neck, an Intake would only be part of the upgrade needed. Yes you will get some improvement ( banks vid shows good testing data), however if you open up the whole intake system filter to engine, you will get bigger bang. Also need to improve the exhaust side, to gain more improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread