Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B&W or Fastway?

Highcountry

Reaction score
I did a search but am not seeing what I'm after. I've had my 2500 about a month and the next item I want to purchase is a good quality hitch. I like the versatility of a multi-ball system. I find myself choosing between the B&W tow and stow and an aluminum fastway hitch. They both seem to be quality. The B&W looks like a bulletproof unit and very heavy duty. The fastway is attractive for handling and storage and also looks to be a quality piece. I currently only tow a ski boat and occaisional a car on a flatbed trailer, but also plan to buy a travel trailer so I'd like to have my bases covered, Any tips would be appreciated

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I did a search but am not seeing what I'm after. I've had my 2500 about a month and the next item I want to purchase is a good quality hitch. I like the versatility of a multi-ball system. I find myself choosing between the B&W tow and stow and an aluminum fastway hitch. They both seem to be quality. The B&W looks like a bulletproof unit and very heavy duty. The fastway is attractive for handling and storage and also looks to be a quality piece. I currently only tow a ski boat and occaisional a car on a flatbed trailer, but also plan to buy a travel trailer so I'd like to have my bases covered, Any tips would be appreciated
Curt has a nice one 21,000lbs the fastway is really nice aswell

diode_ee

Reaction score
Also may want to check out Gen-Y as an option as well. I don't have any personal experience, but they seem to get good reviews.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

woody284

Reaction score
I have the BW, I bought it in the three ball and 2.5 shank. I didn’t need the 1.78” but went ahead and got it anyway. I’m a fan. It’s a heavy (weight) hitch. I haul a 25ft Tritoon, 20 ft equipment trailer with tractor to a utility trailer with no complaints. I bought a locking anti rattle receiver pin so I never remove it. Just flip and go. I looked at it as a little extra protection if rear ended and I’m not hitting my shin on it.

Also pending on what size travel trailer you get, your going to want a weight distribution hitch with anti sway so your choice hear won’t matter.

Last edited:

Pronto

Reaction score
I went with the BW with a 9" drop and twin balls. It's a really nice well built hitch. I'm very happy with it. I wish I could have got by with the 7" drop. I like how it easily stows out of the way.

Highcountry

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it's nice to hear real world experience

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
FWIW, I have the Fastway HD 10" drop (steel) and have been very pleased with it... I don't see why it would be any different with the aluminum.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My bulletproof hitch is 2” or 2-5/16” with a 2.5” solid shank and up to 8” drop. I usually run it at the 6” drop for my car hauler but it’s at the lowest setting for this pic. One of the only options I found with a 2.5” shank with an 8” drop when I was looking for hitches when I bought my 19 back in 19

A340BD0D-D098-4F5C-A98F-4E147A43C476.jpeg

Highcountry

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I ordered a fastway billet aluminum in an adjustable 8" drop. I went with the model that has integrated locks and 2" and 2 5/16" . I checked out alot of review and B&W was also very well thought of. For my use the lighter weight and more compact size was attractive for storage

flgboy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I ordered a fastway billet aluminum in an adjustable 8" drop. I went with the model that has integrated locks and 2" and 2 5/16" . I checked out alot of review and B&W was also very well thought of. For my use the lighter weight and more compact size was attractive for storage
I just bought the 8" drop fastway and really like it for the reasons you cite.

housedrx

Reaction score
If you are going to tow a TT you should be using a weight distribution set up with sway control not just a ball. Very different from a boat or utility trailer. I have towed TT's over 250000 miles and prefer the old school Reese hitch with 2 adustable friction sway controls.

Highcountry

Reaction score
Well that was disappointing. My fastway hitch arrived and when I opened it I couldn't get the key to align. upon closer inspection it was dropped really hard at some point. Hard enough to damage the corner and knock the lock out of alignment. So it's getting returned. Now I'm asking myself whether to choose a different type

Attachments

• IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 41

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Well that was disappointing. My fastway hitch arrived and when I opened it I couldn't get the key to align. upon closer inspection it was dropped really hard at some point. Hard enough to damage the corner and knock the lock out of alignment. So it's getting returned. Now I'm asking myself whether to choose a different type
Steel > aluminum

Drop my hitch you’ll chip the concrete, not the hitch.

Darkone

Reaction score
@Rockcrawlerdude I’ve been looking at the bulletproof 2.5” hitches as a single replacement for all my 2” shank. How has yours held up paint wise being steel? I know it’s a hitch and with use it will eventually show signs of wear. Also does it fit the receiver aka is there much “slop” as compared to using a 2“ with the sleeve? Thanks in advanced for the information

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Steel > aluminum

Drop my hitch you’ll chip the concrete, not the hitch.
I thought about making one out of stainless for this exact reason i dont trust aluminum (i work with it every day) and steel rusts to easy

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
@Rockcrawlerdude I’ve been looking at the bulletproof 2.5” hitches as a single replacement for all my 2” shank. How has yours held up paint wise being steel? I know it’s a hitch and with use it will eventually show signs of wear. Also does it fit the receiver aka is there much “slop” as compared to using a 2“ with the sleeve? Thanks in advanced for the information
The powder coat on the ball actually didn’t start to show wear until after a few tows. I was surprised by that. I keep a light coat of grease on the ball so that isn’t a big deal.

Mine fits well, there is a little wiggle. I never used the 2” sleeve because my 2” hitch didn’t drop far enough to use with this truck but I imagine stacking tolerances would be much wigglier. I tighten up my hitch-receiver rattles with composite cabinet shims. Rubber hammer it in and snap it off just like you do on a cabinet.

woody284

Reaction score
I added this to my BW hitch setup. It has several features to protect your investment. It has the spring and block that fit inside the shaft of your hitch and the hitch pin is threaded. So when you screw the pin in (through) the hole it tightens down the block inside and removes the slop or rattle. The other end is a keyed lock. Although I have not heard about any hitch theft in my area, I watch several videos of how easy some locking hitch pins were to break off. Slip a pipe over the lock end and with little leverage snap it off. If that happens with this one, you would still have to have something to break lose the lock washer and unscrew the pin. I figured for a $300.00 plus hitch it was a good sales pitch or idea as well as taking all the rattle out.

Attachments

• 47523A2E-19E6-4991-B431-563FECED1D0B.png
    47523A2E-19E6-4991-B431-563FECED1D0B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

Xflight29

Reaction score
I added this to my BW hitch setup. It has several features to protect your investment. It has the spring and block that fit inside the shaft of your hitch and the hitch pin is threaded. So when you screw the pin in (through) the hole it tightens down the block inside and removes the slop or rattle. The other end is a keyed lock. Although I have not heard about any hitch theft in my area, I watch several videos of how easy some locking hitch pins were to break off. Slip a pipe over the lock end and with little leverage snap it off. If that happens with this one, you would still have to have something to break lose the lock washer and unscrew the pin. I figured for a $300.00 plus hitch it was a good sales pitch or idea as well as taking all the rattle out.
I bought the same pin lock as you, best 40 $ I have spent when it comes to the hitch for sure.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That would last 1/2 a winter here before it was impossible to remove the hitch the liquid calcium they pour on the roads rusts everything fast

Users who are viewing this thread