Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B&W 5th Wheel Hitch Problem

The1adman

Reaction score
I have searched and have not found anything about the issue I am having, other than a couple of Superduty's. I have a 21 3500 with puck system and just purchased a new B&W RVK3600 5th wheel hitch. The hitch does not sit flat on the pucks and rocks. The hitch on the concrete is flat with no gaps or rocking. All of the Superduty's with this issue it ended up being the truck not the hitch. Has anyone ran into this problem. A shim would correct this issue but there is no mention of shims in the instruction.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I have searched and have not found anything about the issue I am having, other than a couple of Superduty's. I have a 21 3500 with puck system and just purchased a new B&W RVK3600 5th wheel hitch. The hitch does not sit flat on the pucks and rocks. The hitch on the concrete is flat with no gaps or rocking. All of the Superduty's with this issue it ended up being the truck not the hitch. Has anyone ran into this problem. A shim would correct this issue but there is no mention of shims in the instruction.

Photos or a video link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Had one on a pick system a few trucks ago. Once it was in the pucks and secured there was no rocking or movement of any kind. I would think something is not lined up correctly or maybe even installed correctly. Hard to say without pics or vid, but I don't think it should be moving.

The1adman

Reaction score
I had the same system in my last truck and had no issues. Its like a 4 leg table when one of the legs is to short and it rocks back and forth. The hitch has adjustment to align the 4 pucks but no adjustment for taking up gap if a puck is to low. I will contact B&W when they open on Monday. The hard part is weather its the hitch or the truck. I will try to get a video posted showing the issue.

The1adman

Reaction score
I tried to post a video but can’t get it to work. Here is a picture of the gap. Hopefully it’s the hitch and not the truck.

Attachments

• D2B18A29-E677-4A24-A1F6-3104BA0CA1EA.jpeg
    D2B18A29-E677-4A24-A1F6-3104BA0CA1EA.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 52

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Looks like your connection on the bottom of the hitch isn't lined up right with the puck system. I think it should go down in there further. I haven't had one in a few years, but can you adjust the hitch connections so it will line up correctly?

The1adman

Reaction score
Looks like your connection on the bottom of the hitch isn't lined up right with the puck system. I think it should go down in there further. I haven't had one in a few years, but can you adjust the hitch connections so it will line up correctly?
It won’t go down if the other corner is down that’s the problem. I have had this system in my previous truck without issue. I was trying to see if anyone else has had this issue and if it was the truck or hitch. Seems very uncommon.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It won’t go down if the other corner is down that’s the problem. I have had this system in my previous truck without issue. I was trying to see if anyone else has had this issue and if it was the truck or hitch. Seems very uncommon.
You can always loosen the “pucks” on the frame all 4 of them clamp the hitch down then re tighten the pucks on the frame it could be the 2 are sitting higher causing the rocking

The1adman

Reaction score
You can always loosen the “pucks” on the frame all 4 of them clamp the hitch down then re tighten the pucks on the frame it could be the 2 are sitting higher causing the rocking
Great idea! Unfortunately it didn’t work, I tried that yesterday. It halved the distance but wasn’t enough to get all 4 sitting flat.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Great idea! Unfortunately it didn’t work, I tried that yesterday. It halved the distance but wasn’t enough to get all 4 sitting flat.
Sounds like the holes in brackets or frame is off a touch dealer can take that on, id take a carbide bur and open up the holes on the ones that sit high just enough to level them out

The1adman

Reaction score
Here hopefully this shows what I’m trying to explain. One of the three pick is off or the hitch is tweaked.

The1adman

Reaction score
Update...Contacted B&W and explained my issue. They asked for a video showing what the hitch is doing installed. They are sending out a new base by truck freight and I will send back the one I have. Hopefully its the hitch base and not the truck pucks. I will update once I have the new base to install.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Update...Contacted B&W and explained my issue. They asked for a video showing what the hitch is doing installed. They are sending out a new base by truck freight and I will send back the one I have. Hopefully its the hitch base and not the truck pucks. I will update once I have the new base to install.
Im hoping its the base for your sanity lol

The1adman

Reaction score
Im hoping its the base for your sanity lol
Me to! His suggestion if its the truck pucks is to shim the hitch with washers. Not sure I want the dealer (at least any near me) doing the amount of work associated with replacing the pucks on my new truck.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Me to! His suggestion if its the truck pucks is to shim the hitch with washers. Not sure I want the dealer (at least any near me) doing the amount of work associated with replacing the pucks on my new truck.
Its pretty simple to replace them but i would take a carbide burr and just open the holes up a touch to lower the 2 hick pucks instead of replacing them

Users who are viewing this thread