Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auxiliary Gas tank for 6.4 Hemi

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
Does anyone have an extra bed tank installed in their 6.4 Gas HEMI? I can’t find any that integrate with the fuel system. I’ve seen plenty of static tanks with pumps but I’m not sure if that’s my only option. I was also considering a tool box/gas auxiliary tank. Let me know if anyone has something to share. Thanks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Does anyone have an extra bed tank installed in their 6.4 Gas HEMI? I can’t find any that integrate with the fuel system. I’ve seen plenty of static tanks with pumps but I’m not sure if that’s my only option. I was also considering a tool box/gas auxiliary tank. Let me know if anyone has something to share. Thanks.
With gas that is the only legal option gravity feed is not legal though i have seen it done

sstoner911

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by Integrated ...but Titan and Transfer Flow are good options.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I don't think you are going to find a "integrated" system as in it automatically feeds the OEM tank. That is illegal in a lot of places I believe. Also imposable to find a larger OEM replacement (gasoline) tank as well.

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
So basically a bed mounted transfer tank and pump is my only option. I see similar posts on the forum but most of this type of stuff applies only for diesels. There are a bunch of tank manufacturers out there.

MtnRider

Reaction score
So basically a bed mounted transfer tank and pump is my only option. I see similar posts on the forum but most of this type of stuff applies only for diesels. There are a bunch of tank manufacturers out there.

Yeah, going to be tough to find something for gasoline. The gas HD Rams should have come with a bigger tank, 31 gallons goes quick.

Frank

Reaction score

It's illegal to gravity feed gasoline (US DOT and most states), therefore illegal to market any tank with bottom fittings for use with gasoline. It's also why every manufacturer has warnings not to do it, so when there is a leak or accident they aren't responsible for the fire. Those rules exist for very good reasons.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
FWIW putting in an low volume electric fuel pump at the top of the tank and then have it go to the filler neck is possibly an option and a work around...

KnuckleHead

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance here, but its not illegal to put in a larger replacement tank is it? Like actually replace your factory tank with a 50 gal tank or whatever size fits. Assuming no, why doesnt anyone make those?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance here, but its not illegal to put in a larger replacement tank is it? Like actually replace your factory tank with a 50 gal tank or whatever size fits. Assuming no, why doesnt anyone make those?
It's not illegal, there are simply no replacement gasoline tanks for our trucks... someone was trying to work with one company, but that project seems to be on indefinite hold (damned if I can find the thread)
There was some back and forth about buying the new 50 gallon tank and seeing it could be retro-fitted, but I don't know if anyone has done so.

MtnRider

Reaction score

Like mentioned, not illegal but there simply isn't one available. They have to be "certified" to meet emissions etc and I think that is the big problem with gasoline tanks vs diesel and why you don't see them. With fewer gas HD trucks vs diesel it's also probably not profitable for a company to put the investment into producing one.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Like mentioned, not illegal but there simply isn't one available. They have to be "certified" to meet emissions etc and I think that is the big problem with gasoline tanks vs diesel and why you don't see them. With fewer gas HD trucks vs diesel it's also probably not profitable for a company to put the investment into producing one.

I think I've found one company offering replacement gasoline tanks and that was for Ford... so really not helpful.

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
I only get about 190 miles to empty while towing. So i usually stop at around 150 and start looking. With Gasser it’s not always easy to find a station to fit a 20ft truck and 32 foot camper.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I only get about 190 miles to empty while towing. So i usually stop at around 150 and start looking. With Gasser it’s not always easy to find a station to fit a 20ft truck and 32 foot camper.

That is the biggest reason I got rid of my gas HD truck, the range was unacceptable (for me). Why they didn't offer at least a 36+ gallon tank option from the factory I will never understand?

Frank

Reaction score

That is awful. I got that same mileage in my 2019 1500 pulling a 33 1/2 ft camper and a 21 gal tank. It's the #2 reason I upgraded to a CTD.

IMO It's only hard finding a gas station until your hand is forced a few times and then it's no big deal. Most gas stations are tight where I live, either because they are in the city or because of the hills and mountains. I haven't found one that wasn't doable even if it took a 57 point turn.

NY-HD-RAM

Reaction score
Yea, I don’t think i have a 30 gallon tank either. Think mine came with a 27. when your in unfamiliar areas I try to keep an eye out for a station close to the interstate or highway, otherwise its you can get duped into taking a 10 mile detour for gas. It is what it is. That’s why i’m looking for a larger tank or transport. i always carry a 5 gallon for emergency, maybe i’ll just take a few more.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Are you guys really able to burn 30 gal of gas in the main tank before you need to pull over and take a wizz?
I can always piss on the side of the road.
Also, there are many places out west where there simply isn't a gas station within range...

Frank

Reaction score
I can always piss on the side of the road.
Also, there are many places out west where there simply isn't a gas station within range...
Right, my point is you can pee in the trees and then run your transfer pump before getting back in the truck. No need for a gravity feed.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Yea, I don’t think i have a 30 gallon tank either. Think mine came with a 27. when your in unfamiliar areas I try to keep an eye out for a station close to the interstate or highway, otherwise its you can get duped into taking a 10 mile detour for gas. It is what it is. That’s why i’m looking for a larger tank or transport. i always carry a 5 gallon for emergency, maybe i’ll just take a few more.

Pretty sure they are 31 gallon tanks... I ran the truck until it simply stopped running.... put in 30.88 gallons back in the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread