Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Regen too often

Jeeper93436

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Do you have any tips regarding how to start the arbitration process? You mentioned it is a free process; I would like to pursue a similar action, if possible, but I can't find information that explains how the process works or how to get started.
I live in CA so the laws favored the consumers. I had to lemon law a 20 Expedition. The vehicle had 2k miles and they wanted to take the motor apart to inspect it, the transmission had a downshift clunk and the panoramic sunroof had already been replaced but had an air leak. I spent a lot of time back and forth with the dealer but got no where. I got a hold of a lemon law lawyer and they asked for all the repair orders. They informed me I qualified for a lemon law case. They explained how it worked and their fee is not deducted from my money, they charge the manufacturer on the side. I decided to proceed and I couldn’t believe how easy it was. Not messing around with the price. In Ca once you hire a lawyer the service department will stop communicating you and go directly to the manufacturer, mainly applies if you have the vehicle at the dealership.

scdo

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this information. It is very helpful. Do you have a digital version? I would like to give it to the technicians at my dealership.

My 2023 2500 does not actually say it is regenerating, but it clearly is happening due to other indicators. If it matters, the trim is Limited, so my dash looks different than what has been posted in this thread. I basically stare at the DPF gauge, but I have never seen it announce a regen cycle. Not one time - even when the gauge reading decreases in front of my eyes.

I also have a 2023 with the digital dash. It’s frustrating but appears these trucks do not notify when in regen.

I setup a dashboard on OBDLink and can see when the regen is active… I watched the last regen cycle… it kicked in minutes after hitting 40% and off shortly after coming back to 0%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riddick

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this information. It is very helpful. Do you have a digital version? I would like to give it to the technicians at my dealership.

My 2023 2500 does not actually say it is regenerating, but it clearly is happening due to other indicators. If it matters, the trim is Limited, so my dash looks different than what has been posted in this thread. I basically stare at the DPF gauge, but I have never seen it announce a regen cycle. Not one time - even when the gauge reading decreases in front of my eyes.

The 19-22 models will tell you when the truck is in regen mode if you have the DPF gauge displayed. I could be wrong but I think the 23+ trucks do not have this feature. However, they will alert you if your truck has not completed a regen after multiple attempts (you shut the truck off during a regen). You will receive a message to drive around until the truck completes a regen.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I live in CA so the laws favored the consumers. I had to lemon law a 20 Expedition. The vehicle had 2k miles and they wanted to take the motor apart to inspect it, the transmission had a downshift clunk and the panoramic sunroof had already been replaced but had an air leak. I spent a lot of time back and forth with the dealer but got no where. I got a hold of a lemon law lawyer and they asked for all the repair orders. They informed me I qualified for a lemon law case. They explained how it worked and their fee is not deducted from my money, they charge the manufacturer on the side. I decided to proceed and I couldn’t believe how easy it was. Not messing around with the price. In Ca once you hire a lawyer the service department will stop communicating you and go directly to the manufacturer, mainly applies if you have the vehicle at the dealership.
Would you mind sending me your Lemon Law attorney contact info in a PM? I'm considering going down this path. I also live in CA

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

The digital dashboard trucks (starting in 2023), for some, reason do not provide a message for normal active regeneration cycles. They do, however, still provide intervention messages if the regeneration cycles are not being completed as needed. Not sure if that was an intentional or unintentional omission on the part of the programming. IMG_4074.jpeg

Units

Reaction score
The 19-22 models will tell you when the truck is in regen mode if you have the DPF gauge displayed. I could be wrong but I think the 23+ trucks do not have this feature. However, they will alert you if your truck has not completed a regen after multiple attempts (you shut the truck off during a regen). You will receive a message to drive around until the truck completes a regen.
I have a ‘23 Bighorn with the 3.5” color Evic and you have to switch it over to the DPF status and when in regen it will tell you.

Units

Reaction score
The digital dashboard trucks (starting in 2023), for some, reason do not provide a message for normal active regeneration cycles. They do, however, still provide intervention messages if the regeneration cycles are not being completed as needed. Not sure if that was an intentional or unintentional omission on the part of the programming. View attachment 66928
That’s strange…..

scdo

Reaction score
MAP sensor cleaning unfortunately didn’t help mine.

Was just driving it back to the dealer to have them install the new (better?) MAF sensor. On the way (6 mile drive), DPF went from 20% to 40% and regen started AND check engine light came back on.

I’m leaving early next week on a long camping trip pulling a 10,000 pound trailer.

Sounds like most only have this issue when unloaded, right? I’m a little nervous about using this truck for the trip but it is what I bought it for in the first place. Frustrating to say the least.

I’ll update here once I get the new MAF sensor installed and have 1-2 hours behind the wheel (unloaded, prior to the trip).

Wish me luck!

Firebird

Reaction score

Was just driving it back to the dealer to have them install the new (better?) MAF sensor. On the way (6 mile drive), DPF went from 20% to 40% and regen started AND check engine light came back on.

I’m leaving early next week on a long camping trip pulling a 10,000 pound trailer.

Sounds like most only have this issue when unloaded, right? I’m a little nervous about using this truck for the trip but it is what I bought it for in the first place. Frustrating to say the least.

I’ll update here once I get the new MAF sensor installed and have 1-2 hours behind the wheel (unloaded, prior to the trip).

Wish me luck!

My 21 would do it even while pulling my camper

scdo

Reaction score

Wish me luck!

UPDATE

Dealer advised that the new MAF Sensor did NOT fix the issue. They are continuing to go back and forth with additional troubleshooting with STAR.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated
UPDATE

Dealer advised that the new MAF Sensor did NOT fix the issue. They are continuing to go back and forth with additional troubleshooting with STAR.
did they scope the DOC and DPF to inspect for physical failure?

scdo

Reaction score
Updated

did they scope the DOC and DPF to inspect for physical failure?

Not that they told me.

I’m going pick the truck back up in the current state since I need it for my trip.

Here’s more detail they got back from STAR.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:29:26 - Other Communication Kevin, Thank you for the information. Engineering is still under investigation; they still do not have a root cause yet. In the meantime, we need to do our due diligence at testing the air handling system, Fuel system and exhaust systems. I would like you to Perform the Intake air system pressure test diagnostic procedure. Please make sure to use soapy water to test all the connections in the system. Disconnect the TMAP Sensor harness connector. Remove the TMAP Sensor and reconnect the wiring to the sensor. Turn the ignition on. With the scan tool in, monitor the Charge Air Cooler Temperature (CAC) Sensor while heating the sensor with an external heat source (DO NOT USE OPEN FLAME). Does the reading from the sensor increase at least 5°F on the scan tool? Perform the following EGR system checks: Look for visible signs (soot streaks) of an external EGR system leak. Remove the EGR Outlet Temperature Sensor from the thermostat outlet. Check the outlet for blockage or debris. Remove EGR Crossover Tube from EGR Cooler and EGR Valve. Inspect the tube for a restriction. Verify that the EGR cooler is not leaking. Check for coolant in EGR plumbing, and low coolant level. Check the Air Intake Grid Heater for excessive soot build up or restriction. Were any problems found?

DougB

Reaction score
Seems like eventually someone is going to have an epiphany (O-SH*T moment.)
After the hardware engineers exhaust all options to confirm it’s not a hardware problem, only then will the software team take a look and end up finding that one line of code screwing everything up.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
After the hardware engineers exhaust all options to confirm it’s not a hardware problem, only then will the software team take a look and end up finding that one line of code screwing everything up.

I feel their pain.

Sounds like me and any customer's network team. You know what usually gets it fixed? Getting EVERYBODY on a webex and figuring it out together. Each side can show the other what they're doing.

FWIW, It's them 99% of the time, or at the very least miscommunication.

Users who are viewing this thread