Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic High Beams Limited Longhorn

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at some others in the tracking sheet and they all have Safety Group so they have auto headlights but it's an option on the window sticker. Oddly, those equipment listings show auto high beam under standard equipment. @SierraHog does not have Safety Group per his window sticker.

And I agree, completely contradictory. UNLESS Safety Group is automatically added but you can de-select it?? Still odd.

As far as I remember “safety group” was an option but was not automatically added when building a Longhorn. We need to see another Longhorn without the safety group to see where this is going….especially one built earlier. I’m wondering if this wasn’t another casualty of the tech option supply shortage that wasn’t advertised…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieL

Reaction score
Followed everyone’s advice and still no auto high beams. I used them for over 4 years on my Laramie and was able to disable them from time to time in the lights menu on the old Uconnect system. For whatever reason, the enable/disable feature is nonexistent in UC5 and the message center in the dash does not advise the auto high beams are enabled when I activate the high beams. My headlight switch is in Auto. Would anyone be able to provide a screen shot of the UC5 where I would find the enable button? Also, if you do have this feature, is your 2022 equipped with the safety group? I have all the other bells and whistles but not safety group that includes the adaptive cruise, lane assist, collision warning and adaptive steering. Thanks everyone for the continued advice.
Your situation is a real oddity. Here's the pics of my Uconnect 5 settings. If you don't have the Auto Dim under your Lights options, I would suggest doing a factory reset. What is the software version currently on your truck?

No, my truck is not equipped with Safety Group, but then it is a Laramie. The auto high-beam shows as part of the Laramie Level B Equipment Group on my window sticker.

Attachments

• IMG_4308.jpg
    IMG_4308.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 2022 Delmonica 77180K.pdf
    74.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

SierraHog

Reaction score
Your situation is a real oddity. Here's the pics of my Uconnect 5 settings. If you don't have the Auto Dim under your Lights options, I would suggest doing a factory reset. What is the software version currently on your truck?
That’s the button I’m missing! Auto Dim high beams. Looks like I do have a weird build. Like others are saying, it’s not clear what I’m supposed to have. I’ll have to look at my software version after work. Stay tuned…

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
That’s the button I’m missing! Auto Dim high beams. Looks like I do have a weird build. Like others are saying, it’s not clear what I’m supposed to have. I’ll have to look at my software version after work. Stay tuned…
I can explain why you don’t have auto high beams. This is one of those situations where an option will replace standard equipment, but the problem is, they don’t make it clear to the everyday car shopper.
Auto high beams is possible two different ways: either you have adaptive cruise/FCW, and the driver assist module for those features is also used for the auto high beams. Or, you don’t have ACC/FCW, and the mirror will be equipped with the auto high beam camera. The digital rear view mirror is not capable of having the auto high beam camera, so when you select the tow mode camera/mirror package, and you do not have a package that includes ACC/FCW, then it’s not possible to have the auto high beam feature.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I can explain why you don’t have auto high beams. This is one of those situations where an option will replace standard equipment, but the problem is, they don’t make it clear to the everyday car shopper.
Auto high beams is possible two different ways: either you have adaptive cruise/FCW, and the driver assist module for those features is also used for the auto high beams. Or, you don’t have ACC/FCW, and the mirror will be equipped with the auto high beam camera. The digital rear view mirror is not capable of having the auto high beam camera, so when you select the tow mode camera/mirror package, and you do not have a package that includes ACC/FCW, then it’s not possible to have the auto high beam feature.

Wow.

Thanks for that Jimmy! That makes perfect sense.

It’s a shame that isn’t better explained, or there isn’t a heads up to the customer before the order is placed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SierraHog

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. That does make sense. I’m just happy to have a 2022 in my driveway so I’m not gonna stress about the auto high beams. Too many people aren’t even getting their trucks after waiting 6 months so a silly little feature is no big deal. Thanks again for helping out.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Another mystery solved by the Jimmy-swami.

We're going to have to get him some Scooby snacks.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I had Auto High Beams on my 2021 Laramie, and when I got my Limited Longhorn I was surprised to see it did not have it... Wasn't an issue for me as I do not use my High Beams ...very rarely anyway...

I really like the digital rearview mirror when towing and being able to see what's behind the trailer is more useful for me. I'll gladly give up the auto high beams!!

When I did use the auto high beams on my Laramie it was sometimes fooled by the reflective road signs. Otherwise they worked well.

SierraHog

Reaction score
I had Auto High Beams on my 2021 Laramie, and when I got my Limited Longhorn I was surprised to see it did not have it... Wasn't an issue for me as I do not use my High Beams ...very rarely anyway...

I really like the digital rearview mirror when towing and being able to see what's behind the trailer is more useful for me. I'll gladly give up the auto high beams!!

When I did use the auto high beams on my Laramie it was sometimes fooled by the reflective road signs. Otherwise they worked well.
I agree! The rear view is definitely a better option. I had the same issues with my auto high beams. Paddle markers, big signs and some buildings would turn the darn things off when I needed them most.

hcrmotorworks

Reaction score
Found this out myself today upon inspecting my build.
Infuriating to say the least.

Laramie with level B package-Supposed to have auto headlights as an option within that package
Ordered digital rearview mirror in addition to that package (didn't want ACC/FCW) - Auto headlights gets deleted, no Asterisk, no option may override previous selection...just delete
But if you order the Safety group B you get the digital rearview mirror and Auto headlights.

makes no sense to me at all...

Lary0071

Reaction score
I have a 7/7/21 order date 2022 Limited Longhorn as well. I show the auto high beams in the build sheet under standard items, not as part of an option group. I attached the build sheet. To be clear, I do have the auto high beam headlights and auto wipers.

Attachments

• 2022 Lim Longhorn Build Sheet VIN 3C63RRKL1NG120317.pdf
    11.9 KB · Views: 7

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I have a 7/7/21 order date 2022 Limited Longhorn as well. I show the auto high beams in the build sheet under standard items, not as part of an option group. I attached the build sheet. To be clear, I do have the auto high beam headlights and auto wipers.
Like explained in post 24, auto high beam is standard. But if you add a package that includes the digital rear view mirror, but do not add a package that includes forward collision warning, it’s not possible to retain the auto high beam feature. You were able to retain the auto high beams with digital rear view mirror because you also have forward collision warning.

hcrmotorworks

Reaction score
Like explained in post 24, auto high beam is standard. But if you add a package that includes the digital rear view mirror, but do not add a package that includes forward collision warning, it’s not possible to retain the auto high beam feature. You were able to retain the auto high beams with digital rear view mirror because you also have forward collision warning.
That's the ridiculous part though in my opinion...

"The digital rear view mirror is not capable of having the auto high beam camera, so when you select the tow mode camera/mirror package, and you do not have a package that includes ACC/FCW, then it’s not possible to have the auto high beam feature."

But in safety group B you can have a digital rearview mirror and a whole bunch of other sensors in there and retain the feature, leading me and I'm sure many other people to believe that standard features selected in one package have no bearing on a stand alone mirror package from another selection.

Laramie B group is supposed to have this Standard option of auto high beams

I added a digital mirror that unknowingly removes auto high beams because I wanted a digital rear view mirror without the additional $820 difference in keeping the ACC/FCW available in safety group B
Digital rearview - 1045
safety group B -1865
comes with the digital rear view mirror and a whole bunch of other crap I didn't think I wanted to pay for so I elected to go with just the mirror.
The digital rearview mirror housing even has a cutout where the sensor could be located so not sure why they can't be pulled from the same power source/relay etc.

Safety Group B gives you a digital mirror AND ACC/FCW and somehow retains auto high beams leading many to believe auto highbeams would have nothing to do with rearview mirror selection if that feature came with a standard mirror and also comes with the digital mirror in Safety Group B.

I don't get how features can be listed within a package only to not be installed without any notification during the selection process as to what features you will lose if you select this and not that is all.

As always @Jimmy07 your knowledge and expertise is MUCH appreciated so big thanks to everything you do for us all!

digital rearview housing

20220707_173802.jpg

Jeep Grand Cherokee W/auto highbeams
20220707_174037.jpg

Attachments

• BuildSheetServlet.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 1
  • WindowStickerPDF.pdf
    70.8 KB · Views: 2

Jimmy07

Reaction score
The digital rearview mirror housing even has a cutout where the sensor could be located so not sure why they can't be pulled from the same power source/relay etc.
The digital rear view mirror mounting arm even has the exact mount for the auto high beam camera:
4058B10B-75A4-4244-AFAE-7149520A6350.jpeg19AAB556-6785-4E4F-B0A5-0FA1FEF4522A.jpeg

Randy1021

Reaction score
Well, that solves my confusion also. Just received my 22 Laramie 3500 with digital tow mode camera and couldn't figure out why Auto High Beam was not able to be selected in the UC menu as shown in the owner's manual. It does seem odd to drop that just because of the mirror option. Oh well, after waiting 7 months for the truck to arrive, I'll just keep manually switching the high / lo beams!

Tell3131

Reaction score
Well, I had this question last night on my 2022 Limited. This thread explained it, so thank you. I don't have it because I have the digital review mirror and didn't order anything with forward collision warning, so NO Auto Highbeams for me. What is funny is that on my TRX there is both the auto high beams and digital rearview mirror and don't have the forward collision thing. Well done Stallantis, well done.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Well, I had this question last night on my 2022 Limited. This thread explained it, so thank you. I don't have it because I have the digital review mirror and didn't order anything with forward collision warning, so NO Auto Highbeams for me. What is funny is that on my TRX there is both the auto high beams and digital rearview mirror and don't have the forward collision thing. Well done Stallantis, well done.
Your TRX uses the exact same digital rear view mirror that are in my pics above with no auto high beam camera. There’s no such digital mirror part number that does have it. Are you sure the TRX doesn’t have forward collision warning? Because on the 1500’s, it’s possible to have forward collision warning, but not adaptive cruise, in which case, it would have the windshield mounted DASM for auto high beams. You’ll know it has the DASM if the mirror cover looks like this:
EF1FB448-2A01-4DFC-AAC8-4D04EE50AC27.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread