Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto wipers/headlights and dash lights

Lowbagg

Reaction score
I have this issue and wonder if anyone else has this. During the day if it rains and the auto wipers come on the headlights also turn on (that's normal), but the dash lights dim like its night time and you can barely see any of the gauges and the radio settings.

snayte

Reaction score
Yes that is an issue on both my Ram and Jeep. Wish they would have been smart enough to use the sensor for the head lights to make the dash lights not dim when it is not dark out.

Lowbagg

Reaction score
Yes that is an issue on both my Ram and Jeep. Wish they would have been smart enough to use the sensor for the head lights to make the dash lights not dim when it is not dark out.
OK.... Thanks... We have a 2021 Durango Citadel and it is smart enough to do that... so I was wondering why the RAM isn't.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
OK.... Thanks... We have a 2021 Durango Citadel and it is smart enough to do that... so I was wondering why the RAM isn't.
Could be onto something here on adjusting this for Rams. Your Durango uses the same sun sensor as the Ram. Any chance you have AlfaOBD so we can see what the day/night voltage thresholds are set to on the Durango?

Lowbagg

Reaction score
Could be onto something here on adjusting this for Rams. Your Durango uses the same sun sensor as the Ram. Any chance you have AlfaOBD so we can see what the day/night voltage thresholds are set to on the Durango?
I do have it and I can absolutely do any testing you need done. Just let me know what data you need.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I do have it and I can absolutely do any testing you need done. Just let me know what data you need.
Just need a copy of the Durango BCM settings. Connect to the body computer with AlfaOBD.
Click on the battery icon in the lower right.
Click read system ID, and let the list fully populate for about a minute.
Go into tools up top, and upload the “body_chrysler info” file to google drive, and post a link to it here (or PM me).

A security gateway bypass does not need to be installed to get the read on the BCM.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I have this issue and wonder if anyone else has this. During the day if it rains and the auto wipers come on the headlights also turn on (that's normal), but the dash lights dim like its night time and you can barely see any of the gauges and the radio settings.
You know you can rotate the dimming knob all the way up to turn the screen and instrument panel back to daytime lighting right? Or is it you don't want to have to do that? And I think you can turn off headlights with wipers....

mike_ct

Reaction score
I think my grand Cherokee dims the dash appropriately as well. I should read that BCM and do a compare as well.

Lowbagg

Reaction score
Just need a copy of the Durango BCM settings. Connect to the body computer with AlfaOBD.
Go into tools up top, and upload the “body_chrysler info” file to google drive, and post a link to it here (or PM me).

A security gateway bypass does not need to be installed to get the read on the BCM.
OK.. getting that info now.. just got back from a trip....

Lowbagg

Reaction score
You know you can rotate the dimming knob all the way up to turn the screen and instrument panel back to daytime lighting right? Or is it you don't want to have to do that? And I think you can turn off headlights with wipers....
I'm aware of what you can do, but the whole purpose is why do I have to? I have another Dodge vehicle that works correctly (no dimming with wipers during the day). So if it's just a simple value that needs to be enabled, then I want to get that enabled.

Lowbagg

Reaction score

Jimmy07:
I sent the file (correct one this time).

Lowbagg

Reaction score
Just a follow up on this. I made a complaint to FCA about this issue and I have been assigned case number and have an appointment at a local dealer to work with FCA engineers. I'll keep you guys posted about any outcome, but the folks I was talking with did mention that the vehicle should not be doing this.

Could just be nothing that FCA will do but I also made a claim with NHTSA about the reduced dash visibility.

Lowbagg

Reaction score
Took truck to dealer to have the problem verified. Tech wrote up issue and submitted it against the FCA case number that I have.

More info to follow as I get it.

Lowbagg

Reaction score
New updates... Still talking with the Ram customer care folks. But also have a case with the NHTSA. They have called me and want some details. So going to get some video and pictures together.

Lowbagg

Reaction score
Here is the FINAL word from Ram Customer Care:

They are now aware that this is an issue. A supervisor with level 2 (Jim) said he will make the notes and also send the concern to an engineer he knows at RAM. No promises, but he will let him know that the fix should be an easy code tweak and that it might (or might not get done) in the future.

All in all I felt good about the discussion I had with Jim (talked for about 45 minutes). Consider this topic closed (for now)

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread