Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto HVAC Delay

techman

Reaction score
When I set my climate to Auto, how long does it typically take to start warming the cabin? I know the engine needs to be able to supply hot coolant to the heat exchanger to provide heat, but does the system wait until the engine reaches normal operating temp?

Mine when set to auto, doesn't begin to operate until a good 15-20 minutes into the drive. While I may not be at operating temp (+/- 190) until then it seems like a unusually long delay. The outside temp is in the 60's currently, so not arctic cold at all.

If I go to manual mode I can get heat pretty quickly from start without a long engine warmup.

Normal?

Darmichar

Reaction score
From what I remember last winter, if I remote started the truck and let it run for a few minutes before going out to it, there seemed to be some kind of electric heater (I assume) that would provide heat until the engine got up to temp.
If I just went out and started the truck manually and took off, it didn't seem to generate heat until the engine started to rise close to operating temp.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
When I set my climate to Auto, how long does it typically take to start warming the cabin? I know the engine needs to be able to supply hot coolant to the heat exchanger to provide heat, but does the system wait until the engine reaches normal operating temp?

Mine when set to auto, doesn't begin to operate until a good 15-20 minutes into the drive. While I may not be at operating temp (+/- 190) until then it seems like a unusually long delay. The outside temp is in the 60's currently, so not arctic cold at all.

If I go to manual mode I can get heat pretty quickly from start without a long engine warmup.

Normal?
When you have the auto climate on, the blower motor will not start ramping up until the coolant temperature reaches about 105°. At about 125°, it should be at full speed.
Diesels have a supplemental electric cabin heater to help with warmup.

techman

Reaction score
Sounds like I might have an unusually long delay before mine kicks in. I'll keep an eye on it and see if cooler weather improves heater performance.

Users who are viewing this thread