Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUH failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobra

Reaction score
Thanks Regal, I appreciate you adding the information directly from Anderson; very helpful!
I've not had issues either. I do check the torque values on the hitch bolts, but will also make sure to be extra vigilant on checking the install and torque of those screws.

B

kobra

Reaction score
So, I had a chance to review the other thread and the posts here... I'm glad to have had this exchange, and it was helpful for me and I hope it will be for others.

I wondered if I was overly harsh in reacting on the other thread when I called it misinformation, but as I review it I really don't think so... on the other thread a dire warning was cast against the Anderson hitch even though that was not what was being discussed at the time. No other dire warnings were cast against any other products, even though there is information about hitch failures on some of those models that were discussed, if one looks to find such.

And, as to the examples presented of failures, I don't suggest these were doctored photos or deliberate misinformation (which is more correctly called "disinformation"). However, I used the word "misinformation" intentionally... misinformation does not mean someone has intentionally deceived, but it can mean that the information is not complete, potentially resulting in an inaccurate conclusion. In the case of the examples presented on this thread, the information is not complete. For example, there is no mention of investigations arising from these incidents nor information about the manufacturers response. Further, there is no information on whether they were installed incorrectly, or whether other recommendations were not followed or what the cause of the failures were.

If any of the incidents presented have had a formal investigation and a report from such, that would be very helpful. Otherwise it's like showing pictures of a particular model of a vehicle with something like bent axles and saying there is a safety issue on that model that everyone needs to be warned about... but that's not how the industry works. Unless and until there is a formal investigation and follow-up reports, the auto industry, regulatory bodies and the insurance industry all treat mechanical failures on vehicles as "accidents".

Now, if investigations have been done and do reveal there are safety issues with the AUH, I would definitely want to know. So if these do exist, I would hope that the OP can find them and present them here. Without such investigations, the above failures of the AUH are by definition "accidents". And, in my opinion "accidents" don't warrant unsolicited dire warnings, thus I stand by my original post in calling that out as misinformation.

Be and let be... each one needs to research carefully and make their own choices.

As always on forums, YMMV... and I'm pretty sure on this matter that some of us will end up agreeing to disagree...

B

Phil T

Reaction score
You sound like a lawyer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kobra

Reaction score
haha, nope...
Just give me facts, man!
All this stuff some random people on the internet post that came from some other random people on the internet is getting really tiresome. Wait a minute, I'm prolly getting really tiresome! LOL

B

kobra

Reaction score
But, seriously, insurance companies do an investigation if they think a manufacturer defect is at fault; they want the manufacturer or their insurance to pay up. And, especially if they see a pattern, they will push for more investigations that could involve regulatory bodies. After all, this involves vehicles and people's safety here; if there really was a widespread safety issue, there would be official investigations and/or recalls, etc.

I'm just asking that someone verify the information that has been presented.
Anything less than that, to me, is just hearsay...

B

regal2800

Reaction score
Ya I agree with kowbra. It’s important to know why something failed not just that there was a failure. If there is a product design failure then we need to know about it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I overlooked your first snarky comment with a reasonable response and solid evidence I had at my disposal. Apparently that's still not good enough.

You first asked to see more failures than the "one picture" circulated and then continue to ask for more proof. I've provided plenty.

The images and links I presented should be enough to cause anyone considering the product to think twice. I didn't fabricate them. You want irrefutable proof, go track down the authors of the posts.

The small margin of error for "improperly installed." or "improperly maintained" related failures is just unacceptable. This doesn't happen with conventional hitches.

I haven't seen a collection of standard fifth wheel hitch failures due to simple mishaps, short of not locking jaws which is 99.9% operator error.

This feels like the common practice of late of asking someone to prove their innocence.

You can justify your decision all day long but you'll never change my opinion that the AUH is unsuitable for towing and more importantly stopping a large fifth wheel. It's human nature to defend our choices, right or wrong and I believe that's what I'm seeing here.

I stand by every one of my statements.

kobra

Reaction score
I overlooked your first snarky comment with a reasonable response and solid evidence I had at my disposal. Apparently that's still not good enough.

You first asked to see more failures than the "one picture" circulated and then continue to ask for more proof. I've provided plenty.

The images and links I presented should be enough to cause anyone considering the product to think twice. I didn't fabricate them. You want irrefutable proof, go track down the authors of the posts.

The small margin of error for "improperly installed." or "improperly maintained" related failures is just unacceptable. This doesn't happen with conventional hitches.

I haven't seen a collection of standard fifth wheel hitch failures due to simple mishaps, short of not locking jaws which is 99.9% operator error.

This feels like the common practice of late of asking someone to prove their innocence.

You can justify your decision all day long but you'll never change my opinion that the AUH is unsuitable for towing and more importantly stopping a large fifth wheel. It's human nature to defend our choices, right or wrong and I believe that's what I'm seeing here.

I stand by every one of my statements.

No worries, I'm not actually trying to change your mind and I didn't think I would.

And, from where I sit you were not trying to prove anyone's innocence, in fact you were trying to prove their guilt. And that, my friend is where the burden of proof rests with you. As it should and as it always does when anyone makes an accusation. So far, you've not presented enough evidence to prove Anderson's "guilt"... maybe it's enough for others but not for me.

I'm sorry you saw my comment as snarky, but I'm glad it got you to take the action you did to start this thread, because I think some really good posts have happened. Based on what you, I, and others have shared, I think this actually may be one of the more helpful threads I've seen on the subject.
Some people may agree with you, others may agree with me, and I think that's ok. In fact, healthy disagreement is where there is often the most value on this or any other forum.

Despite our disagreement, I sincerely feel you've created value here. Thank you!

B

MB390

Reaction score
The forum is a great resource of information. You form your own decisions from the experiances of others in your situation, why reinvent the wheel. As for me, I got my new truck 6 months ago, figured I was going to get a new hitch too. I found the AUH, and thought it was a great idea and considered buying. Then I saw some pics. Wether poor design or improper installation, what ever the reason. It was enough for me after seeing some failure pics it would not be worth the risk.
I'm glad for people who use the stuff and post their experiances , keep them coming.

kobra

Reaction score
Oh, one other thing @Brutal_HO ... you mentioned how Anderson was quick to replace any products that might have issues.... based on this thread you started, I wanted to reach out to them; not to ask them about failures, but to ask them if they thought my hitch would be ok because I moved to a larger 5th wheel. My old 5th was ~14k loaded and new one is almost 17k gvwr; you've gotten me wondering if I've been ok with a smaller 5th but might have issues with this new, heavier one.

They asked me for pictures of my hitch, which is about 5 years old, which I sent. They just got back to me and said they are sending me a new hitch. I think that is great service!
...now someone might question why they think I need a new hitch; perhaps for others to debate

Either way, you got me asking questions about my decision, and the company responded beyond my expectations. So, another reason to say thanks!

B

Phil T

Reaction score
Only one reason that a company would send you a free replacement, they know the one you have will eventually fail and they don't want to be sued out of business.

Follow the money, companies don't have a heart.

regal2800

Reaction score
haha, kowbra, they are sending me a new one also. They have excellent service i agree with you.

This is an excellent thread though. Everyone sharing their opinion in a professional way. I wish our politicians did the same.

regal2800

Reaction score
Only one reason that a company would send you a free replacement, they know the one you have will eventually fail and they don't want to be sued out of business.

Follow the money, companies don't have a heart.

That's a very generalized statement Phil. Snap on replaced many tools for me for free no questions asked. Do they have an inferior product?

Phil T

Reaction score
Snap-on is an exception to the rule. They charge an enormous mark up to account for tools that are going to fail. You paid for the replacement when you bought the tool. Now, they do make a great product that feels nice in your hand. I doubt that your family would be killed from a broken ratchet.

kobra

Reaction score
Snap-on is an exception to the rule. They charge an enormous mark up to account for tools that are going to fail. You paid for the replacement when you bought the tool. Now, they do make a great product that feels nice in your hand. I doubt that your family would be killed from a broken ratchet.

If someone was killed by an Anderson hitch, or even injured, I'd really like to know the details. Please share...

B

Distillusion

Reaction score
One thing that does worry me, and this is NOT a comment on Anderson or any other company in particular. When you're towing something that weighs two or more times the weight of the vehicle you're driving, you want rock-solid connection. There's always the potential for brake failure in the trailer, and thus for a tremendous amount of pressure on the hitch. And I tend to be suspicious of anything advertised as "lighter" or "lightweight" for use in these applications. I'd rather have some extra heft for peace of mind. These things are already sitting way up off the frame, causing some serious leverage advantage, and I've seen several types fail. Just sayin'.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I've said it before. A blind man can walk back and forth across a highway and not be hurt a dozen times. Doesn't make it the right thing to do.

There are a number of engineering issues with the AUS. And AGAIN - I've pointed out (to no avail) that the hitch SHOULD derate the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle due to the fact that it displaces some amount of the weight behind the ball and axle. There is simply no way around that fact. Period. This isn't something I "heard from a friend", and I have no skin in this game because I'd never consider using one. I looked at them some time ago but quickly realized that the design was flawed and permanently disregarded them.

kobra

Reaction score
I've said it before. A blind man can walk back and forth across a highway and not be hurt a dozen times. Doesn't make it the right thing to do.

There are a number of engineering issues with the AUS. And AGAIN - I've pointed out (to no avail) that the hitch SHOULD derate the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle due to the fact that it displaces some amount of the weight behind the ball and axle. There is simply no way around that fact. Period. This isn't something I "heard from a friend", and I have no skin in this game because I'd never consider using one. I looked at them some time ago but quickly realized that the design was flawed and permanently disregarded them.

Actually, there is a way around it... and it is an option that is covered in the instructions... and I've done it with good success on my last 5th wheel installation. It's no wonder that when you point it out and say it's to no avail, that those who have taken the time to research the installation aren't listening...

B

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Actually, there is a way around it... and it is an option that is covered in the instructions... and I've done it with good success on my last 5th wheel installation. It's no wonder that when you point it out and say it's to no avail, that those who have taken the time to research the installation aren't listening...

B
Please describe this method. Because if the rear of that assembly is behind the ball, and behind the axle, nothing else matters. It's just math. I have never ever seen an AUS installed - in photos or in real life - where the rear of the assembly is not measurably to the rear. Now, I've also said, if there is no pressure or tension on the rear half of the assembly, then OK - but we'll need proof. Like a pic of a couple fingers beneath the AUS frame and the truck bed with a 22k trailer fully loaded.....

DaelorO12

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the Reese Goosebox as an alternative to the Anderson? I don't have an HD Ram or 5th wheel, genuinely curious on thoughts as I'm doing research future plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread