Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Audio Steering Controls Retrofit

Reaction score
Alright folks,

So I traded my 2019 2500 gasser big horn (with a bunch of options) for a 3500 Dually Tradesman CTD (with a bunch of options..)

No real complaints, I miss my console, and somewhat the Alpine.

But I was amazed when I went to change tracks and realised the Tradesman doesn’t have steering wheel audio controls. On a $61K truck! What gives!?!

Anyway - it is what it is, but I REALLY miss this, and frankly find it unsafe skipping a bunch of tracks from uConnect.

Anyone have any experience retrofitting the controls? Still can’t believe this is needed..

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
Someone over at allmoparparts.com mention there is an update showing more parts of the 2019+ steering wheels are populating the parts lists now and they are seeking someone to verify the ability to upgrade the audio controls.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Alright folks,

So I traded my 2019 2500 gasser big horn (with a bunch of options) for a 3500 Dually Tradesman CTD (with a bunch of options..)

No real complaints, I miss my console, and somewhat the Alpine.

But I was amazed when I went to change tracks and realised the Tradesman doesn’t have steering wheel audio controls. On a $61K truck! What gives!?!

Anyway - it is what it is, but I REALLY miss this, and frankly find it unsafe skipping a bunch of tracks from uConnect.

Anyone have any experience retrofitting the controls? Still can’t believe this is needed..
It’s not possible to retro install the switches into a 2019+ HD steering wheel the way that it was able to be done on the 4th gens. The entire back of the non radio control steering wheel is all solid foam, so it would have to be cut/dug out, and the switch pods would have to be glued in, somehow. Otherwise, you need the steering wheel that already has the switches.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
"There's been some new developments as the steering wheel back cover is now shown as a serviceable part" - 7/20/2020

Jimmy07

Reaction score
"There's been some new developments as the steering wheel back cover is now shown as a serviceable part" - 7/20/2020
I have one on the bench right now from a tradesman that I’m going to swap into my 4th gen. Tomorrow, I’ll disassemble every piece possible, and show pics as to why they can’t be retroed in (as far as swapping parts).

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
That is the easiest way. Sounds like Jimmy07 will be able to provide some photos of what the dealer is looking for to examine hot the newer parts will swap out.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
That is the easiest way. Sounds like Jimmy07 will be able to provide some photos of what the dealer is looking for to examine hot the newer parts will swap out.
Here’s a 2019 tradesman steering wheel-
3veWQQw.jpg

Everything removed from the wheel-
BOs2Oob.jpg

Here’s the back of the wheel taken apart as far as possible. The locations of the radio switch pods include the screw hole area, where a screw goes through into the back of the front left and right steering wheel switches, “clamping” them together. This area is solid foam, but on a wheel with radio controls, it would be manufactured to accept the switch pods-
MrKtmSL.jpg

Here’s the front of the wheel, with arrows pointing to where the switch pod wire pigtails come through to be plugged into the wheel harness-
znGkIZ1.jpg
tUB6rSD.jpg

JNAIL89

Reaction score
Is this upgrade available yet. Or does the 2019 kit fit the 2020?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
See the posts directly above yours, where I explain how there is no kit because you can’t add them to a wheel that doesn’t have them. You need a whole new steering wheel to get the radio controls.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
See the posts directly above yours, where I explain how there is no kit because you can’t add them to a wheel that doesn’t have them. You need a whole new steering wheel to get the radio controls.
Apart from the wheel is the rest of the harness able to support the audio controls or did they leave out the connectors for them

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Here's the steering wheel from a 2019 1500 with the radio button cutouts. It could be possible to retrofit if someone's good with a xacto knife.

Attachments

• 20201216_124203.jpg
    20201216_124203.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20201216_124221.jpg
    20201216_124221.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 72

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Apart from the wheel is the rest of the harness able to support the audio controls or did they leave out the connectors for them
All wiring and connectors exist for any wheel to be plugged into the steering column control module.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
So do the non-radio button wheels have the button wiring already or does that have to be sourced also?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So do the non-radio button wheels have the button wiring already or does that have to be sourced also?
Since there is no such thing as a “kit”, you would buy the buttons and the whole wheel harness that has the connectors for the radio controls.

sdu

Reaction score
Since there is no such thing as a “kit”, you would buy the buttons and the whole wheel harness that has the connectors for the radio controls.
I had not seen a report that the audio control will work on a truck that doesn't come factory-equipped with it, not on the current gen. Can anyone confirm that?

UpInSm0kE

Reaction score
I swapped in a steering wheel from a big horn on my tradesman and the audio buttons work with no issues.

sra2ssgt

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have the correct part number for the steering wheel that has the spot for radio controls to be installed?

sdu

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have the correct part number for the steering wheel that has the spot for radio controls to be installed?
6WR73TX7AA
I got the part number from a parts guy from another forum. I gave him the VIN of a bighorn that comes with a leather-wrapped steering wheel so it should be correct.
Although I haven't actually bought it yet... Still waiting for my truck to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread