Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what mileage is the 6.4 considered "broken in"?

rjmlakota

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2023 2500 6.4 PW that's just shy of 2600 miles. I've changed the oil at 500 miles and 1500 miles using the recommended PUP 0W-40 with a WixXP oil filter and plan on changing it again at 3000 miles. At that point I'll then plan on changing the oil every 3000 miles.

At what mileage is the motor considered broken in and when can I start towing with it?

Thanks in advance...

RJ

mountainears

Reaction score
Well if you’re concerned from a warranty perspective then it is whatever the owners manual says. That would be the minimum bar in most people’s book. Anything over that is being conservative.

lgjhn

Reaction score
I bought my 2500 last November. It had been sitting on the dealer's lot for several months.
I put a 1000 miles on it, then had the dealer change the oil (PUP 0W40) and filter (Mopar) and also had em check/top off the differentials.
At that point, I considered it: pretty much "broken in".
I then hooked onto a lightly-loaded, single-axle, enclosed utility trailer and towed it about 2000 miles. It was mostly interstate driving with varying speeds and some good bursts of acceleration on entrance ramps.
I just changed the oil (PUP 0W40) and filter (WIX 57060) yesterday right at 5000 miles and plan to do future changes at 5000-mile intervals. My truck sees mostly interstate travel with that light trailer.
Prior to yesterday's oil change, I checked the oil level and it was fine. The oil did come out slightly dark, but could easily have gone another 1000 miles, IMHO.
Also, IMHO, IF I were to run extended miles between oil changes to take advantage of synthetic oil life, the WIX 57060XP filter would be a better choice for me.
However, for my type of driving and usage, I plan on sticking to the 5000-mile intervals with the standard filter.

Last edited:

rjmlakota

Reaction score
That's problem... The manual doesn't really state a mileage.

So, is it 300 or 500?

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS—
GASOLINE ENGINE
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.

TOWING REQUIREMENTS
To promote proper break-in of your new vehicle drivetrain
components, the following guidelines are
recommended.
CAUTION!
• Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine,
axle or other parts could be damaged.
(Continued)
CAUTION!
• Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a
trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph
(80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle.
This helps the engine and other parts of the
vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

Grey

Reaction score
I can offer you this, I noted on my 24 PW that the mileage began to increase after 3000 miles. I did a oil change around 1500.

Enve46

Reaction score
My 2016 6.4 woke up quite a bit with noticeable fuel economy change at 12000 miles. Lots of “theory’s” but google your question. Not saying that in a condescending way but it’s a good read

Firebird

Reaction score
The 500 mile break in is for the ring and pinion, after 500 miles, drive it like you stole it!

lgjhn

Reaction score
I noticed a similar substantial mileage increase right at the 3000 mile mark as well.
IF it improves that way again at 12k, I'll certainly take it...lol.

mountainears

Reaction score

So, is it 300 or 500?

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS—
GASOLINE ENGINE
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.

TOWING REQUIREMENTS
To promote proper break-in of your new vehicle drivetrain
components, the following guidelines are
recommended.
CAUTION!
• Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine,
axle or other parts could be damaged.
(Continued)
CAUTION!
• Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a
trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph
(80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle.
This helps the engine and other parts of the
vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.
Well, it does. After 500 miles you can begin towing but take it easy for the first 500 miles of towing. You’re over 2500 miles now, if you haven’t started towing then you’re missing out :). Hook it up…and if you want to be safe take it easy for 500 miles. Your engine is plenty broken in at this point.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The break in is only for the axle gearing. And changing the oil that early is doing nothing but throwing away money your first oil change should be at 7500 miles or when the EVIC tells you nothing more. This is not the 80s where vehicles come with zinc break in oils and required the early oil change.

Enve46

Reaction score
The break in is only for the axle gearing. And changing the oil that early is doing nothing but throwing away money your first oil change should be at 7500 miles or when the EVIC tells you nothing more. This is not the 80s where vehicles come with zinc break in oils and required the early oil change.
Ram recommends oil change by the first 3k on the hemis. I knew this already but the dealer told me when I was waiting for finance.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Ram recommends oil change by the first 3k on the hemis. I knew this already but the dealer told me when I was waiting for finance.
I can’t find documentation of this recommendation anywhere…

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

So, is it 300 or 500?

You posted the mileage in the manual.

It’s both. 300 is for the engine, and the 500 mile break-in is when towing and for the drive train.

rjmlakota

Reaction score
I know I posted what was in the manual - I also did what the manual said to do for break-in on my 2013 RAM 1500 and ended up with a cylinder 3 misfire and was wondering if it was caused by not breaking in the motor correctly even though it's what RAM recommends. Plus, you read all sorts of different opinions online. I just want to make sure I do what ever I can to not have the cylinder issue with the 6.4.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yea just like my dealer said RAM recommends changing my oil at 7500 miles on my cummins for “severe duty” despite the manual saying different. Its a marketing ploy and they got you with it….

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I know I posted what was in the manual - I also did what the manual said to do for break-in on my 2013 RAM 1500 and ended up with a cylinder 3 misfire and was wondering if it was caused by not breaking in the motor correctly even though it's what RAM recommends. Plus, you read all sorts of different opinions online. I just want to make sure I do what ever I can to not have the cylinder issue with the 6.4.
If you had a misfire it would not be from break in its ether plugs or injector unless you mean you had a dead hole then that would be a fluke.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

That issue was unrelated to break-in.

Enve46

Reaction score
I can’t find documentation of this recommendation anywhere…

Yea just like my dealer said RAM recommends changing my oil at 7500 miles on my cummins for “severe duty” despite the manual saying different. Its a marketing ploy and they got you with it….
You may be right but I believe its good practice for all new motors to change the oil early to get out the metals the are definitely present from first time use. Necessary? Most likely not. But a DIY oil change is $100, hardly something I’m concerned about for peace of mind

mountainears

Reaction score
You already have over 2500 miles on the truck. Too late to ask this question. Your maintenance routine is better than what the manual recommends so you are covered from a warranty perspective. Don’t worry about it now, odd things happen and whatever someone tells you here won’t change it. Maintain the vehicle at least to the standards the manual recommends and cross your fingers like the rest of us.

Users who are viewing this thread