Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are fuel additives recommended? (Dealer says no)

Lary0071

Reaction score
I haven't had diesel in 13 years, and back in day everyone ran an additive. My dealer says that this is not needed except for anti gelling in extreme temps. What is the verdict on my 2021 CP3 S.O. Cummins?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
I used opti-lube on the duramax. Nothing on the Cummins.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
There are a few threads about additives. Here is one. It has links to other threads as well.

MtnRider

Reaction score
From your manual...

"In addition, commercially available fuel addi-tives are Not necessary for the proper opera-tion of your Cummins® diesel engine. However, if seasonably adjusted fuel is not available and you are operating below 20°F (-6°C), Mopar® Premium Diesel Fuel Treat-ment (or equivalent) may be beneficial to avoid fuel gelling."

Last edited by a moderator:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
From your manual...

"In addition, commercially available fuel addi-tives are Not necessary for the proper opera-tion of your Cummins® diesel engine. However, if seasonably adjusted fuel is not available and you are operating below 20°F (-6°C), Mopar® Premium Diesel Fuel Treat-ment (or equivalent) may be beneficial to avoid fuel gelling."

Please don't use WHITE text to highlight. It doesn't show on the light theme.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
A vehicle MFG would never come out and say, "You should add something extra to our product because it could break otherwise". That said, if you have a 2019-2020 with a CP4.2 fuel pump, it's going to break, otherwise. Best defense is up the fuel lubricity. I use 1oz HSS EDT + 2.5oz LX4 every tank. At the least, it's a low cost false sense of security. At the best, it's glitter party prevention.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
From your manual...

And yet according to Cummins:

Cummins Filtration offers an array of fuel additive products to enhance the fuel system performance and support new emission standards. Changing regulations that have lead to the use of biodiesel blends and ULSD fuels have created unique maintenance needs across the globe. The addition of high quality fuel additives is now an important element in every good diesel engine maintenance program.

Of course, both what the manual says and the statements have been thoroughly hashed already in the above links on the forum.

Snaps3500

Reaction score
Since all the issues that have come forward about the injector pumps and lubrication questions and speculation I started doing some serious research relating to fuel and actually what is and what is not in the diesel fuel. The fact that US diesel fuel has the lowest sulfur rating as well as I lower cetane rate that places US fuel quality lower than the standards of other countries.

Every vehicle requires a certain amount of fuel quality. Some of these components are designed and produced in other countries which have different fuel standards. Research these other fuel standards in other counties and you will see the difference. Putting fuel additives in your fuel will only help the quality of the fuel and will assist with the lubrication of the working parts and for better combustion, which produces more power and increased fuel economy. My thought now is , I want my vehicle to stay running and not be out of service due to part failures and the fact that their are no available replacement parts readily. So during these uncharted times I will continue to add these products to my fuel and enjoy my truck. The choice is ours to make. Granted their are some issues with pumps and while some last and why do some quit and leave you stuck along the side of the road and without a truck. Every year specific truck has the same parts and the only thing different across this country is the fuel that is distributed for sale. My bet is that not all fuels are created equally so I make sure my fuel is of a higher standard by adding additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
EDT & LX4 since 3rd tank of fuel over 9,300 miles and the filters came out looking like daisies at "12%".

Dunno if the additive had an effect, but usually these pics show a little glitter on the top of the rear one and I have the non-symmetrical glitter bomb POS pump.
20210701_093932.jpg

20210701_101017.jpg

Snaps3500

Reaction score
I have been using the same additives Epsilon plus has been using and my MPG have improved as well. On avg I am getting 1 to 2 MPG in the city . Also my engine seems to be quieter since I have been using this additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
I use additives in all my diesel trucks for preventative maintenance. Especially my 2020 HO where Ram installed the dreaded CP4 pump, I also add lubricity.

To the nay sayers, I have NEVER heard of a problem caused by an additive.

Razzman

Reaction score
Hot Shot Secret EDT here to, with the CP4 I'm not taking any chances.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have run Hot Shot Secret EDT since the second tank. Dealer filled the first one, all 50 gallons. LOL

MEGA-HO

Reaction score
my 22 manual says that if i continiously use for an extended period of time below 20f that i can use climatized number 2 or i can dilute with 50% diesel number 1.

Users who are viewing this thread