Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have power steering failure? 2020 3500

Somemofo

Reaction score
I went to pick up a new Power Wagon in Virginia on Friday. I did the paperwork and left the dealership to head home to MD. With 24 miles on the odometer I lost the power steering and had a message flash on the dash saying power steering was unavailable. The dealership took the PW back and gave me a loaner 1500. I have the option to walk away from the deal or to drive the new 1500 until the module replacement comes in.
Unless they’ve got the part immediately available (3 days or less) I would absolutely make them take the truck back. The electrical ghosts on these trucks are terribly disappointing and for the first time ever in a lifetime of owning RAMs, I would reverse my decision to buy this 2020 Power Wagon, given half a chance.

BikePilot

Reaction score
I went to pick up a new Power Wagon in Virginia on Friday. I did the paperwork and left the dealership to head home to MD. With 24 miles on the odometer I lost the power steering and had a message flash on the dash saying power steering was unavailable. The dealership took the PW back and gave me a loaner 1500. I have the option to walk away from the deal or to drive the new 1500 until the module replacement comes in.
Sorry to hear that! Did it have adaptive steering?

Somemofo

Reaction score
Yes I did. They replaced the power steering gear (an electronic component apparently) and I’ve driven about 5000 miles without issue, but it took 6+ weeks to get it.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Thanks, seems like all the steering failures I’ve seen reported had that option.

rickrfa

Reaction score
Count me in too! 2021 Ram 3500 Limited with Adaptive Steering.
3000 miles on it and the part has gone bad. Im going to to have to drive home with a 20K fifth wheel RV and no power steering.

I'm re thinking that F-450 I looked at

Torque Overlay Steering Gear

Maybe the '22 will be fixed?!?

Guess not, I have a 2022 bighorn 6.4 with about 5000 miles, when I started it this morning, power steering light was on and no power steering. On a trip of course 700 miles from home in Utah. Also have our 32' travel trailer, need to leave next Saturday for the next leg. Took it to a dealer in provo, said they may be able to get in in for diags Thursday. Then when I started it to leave, it was working fine, so assume it is in the electronics. Wasn't too bad driving without, so will probably take my chances and wait until back home.

Also have safety group with adaptive steering, lane assist etc.

Users who are viewing this thread