Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have power steering failure? 2020 3500

Blackbrush

Reaction score
Ryan at Helfman fixed me up. New "steering module" which is the box eliminated the issue.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I also have this dangerous and unacceptable issue on my 2020 RAM 2500 Power Wagon. It started before I hit 600 miles and persists now, with a little over 2000 miles. It is definitely heat triggered and electrical/computer related.
I took it to the dealer and after weeks of not having my truck while they waited for a "steering gear" that I believe will not fix this issue, I just took my truck back because I need it (and I damn sure have to make my monthly payment on it. The part number for the steering gear is mentioned above. Do we know any instances of this actually fixing the problem? I have read one forum post that claimed this was resolved with a new wiring harness (didn't specify which harness).

During the recent Texas freeze, I enjoyed days of driving without any issues, but as soon as weather returned to normal, the issue once again occurs every day! @RamCares , anything to add here?
Hi there, we just had the chance to follow up with your PM. Please continue to work with us there in order for our team to assist in resolving this for you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Jeeps7777

Reaction score
@MPWolf - Any update on this? What was the solution? When did it get repaired?

I have a 2020 2500 Limited and on 12/27/2020 received the message "Power Steering Unavailable" as well with 4300 miles. We were 2000 miles from home in Texas with our Airstream. Went to nearest dealer (2-1/2 hours away) and was told that we had Internal Failure in Steering Assist Module. They looked up the part #68507900AB and it was 45+ days out! We opened a case with Chrysler Customer Care and drove home with our Trailer and NO POWER STEERING! We made it home (with stronger biceps now :) ) and now have an estimated date of Jan 20 to get the part. I am very disappointed with Dodge on this as this is not a safe condition. When you buy an $80k truck, you expect that Dodge could stock the appropriate parts. Electronic parts can file. I understand that. But they need to anticipate that. How widespread is this issue?
Hello, I just has got the same issue on my 2021 3500 RAM the dealer found the same code Internal Failure in Steering Assist Module. The question is was it enough to change #68507900AB part to get your power steering working well?

Somemofo

Reaction score
Hello, I just has got the same issue on my 2021 3500 RAM the dealer found the same code Internal Failure in Steering Assist Module. The question is was it enough to change #68507900AB part to get your power steering working well?

In my case, replacing 68507900AB did resolve the issue on my 2020 Power Wagon 2500. The part took a long time to get, but I’ve had power steering for ever since the replacement. I keep my fingers crossed that it doesn’t fail again on a really hot day in the future.

27ftToaster

Reaction score
Same here. They replaced the part and have had zero issues since. But after the repair, I did have to take it back twice to get the steering wheel adjusted so that the wheel was straight when driving down the road straight. That was part of the alignment issue as a part of the repair, not the PS issue.

Then the primary battery failed on another trip. Had to jump start every time (pulling a travel trailer) until I returned and got it replaced. Hopefully they will be all the Dodge failures, as we had only purchased it in November

MPWolf

Reaction score
Mine has been fixed however it was in the shop for 72 days. If not for the shortage of vehicles we would have gone another route. It was a steering modular replacement that took forever! We seem to be fine now, we have had different issues but I am with everyone here. When you buy new , the highest package and pay that much money there should be no issues except maybe wether I want hot or cold on my ass today!

Jeeps7777

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your comments there. So hope changing this bloody module will save the problem... What do you think it's won't cause any other problem if I use my truck without power steering waiting for the part?

MPWolf

Reaction score
Personally wouldn’t. Right now this is dodges issue but if you choose to use it and something happens

RiverRock

Reaction score
I had the same problem last night pulling trailer. Power Steering Unavailable. Service Required. 2600 miles on a 2020 3500 Diesel Dually.
Called dealer this morning. He is going to get back to me.

Jeeps7777

Reaction score
It's a pity to get stuff like this at the new expensive truck... Keep us informed when you now what has happened.

RiverRock

Reaction score
It's a pity to get stuff like this at the new expensive truck... Keep us informed when you now what has happened.
My local dealer (did not buy from him) got me right in this morning. Same as others , the steering assist module. Item is backordered. No idea when coming in. What's the best way to reach Customer Care and try to get part quicker?

Cmpdman2

Reaction score
I purchased my second 2020 Ram 3500 crew cab Limited in March 2021. I purchased the first 2020 Ram 3500 MegaCab Limited in Aug. 2020.

On June 8th 2021 my wife and autistic son were driving to Colorado from northern Utah. They were driving the 2020 crew cab limited. 2 months old and 2400 miles. Around Moab UT, on the freeway at 75 mph, pulling a trailer she had the “Power Steering Unavailable” on the display and the truck was near impossible (for my 120 lb wife) to steer. VERY VERY UNSAFE!! After towing the vehicle several hundred miles it was left at a dealer. Three days later I get a call from the dealer telling me the Power Steering module is bad and needs to be replaced. They looked up the part #68507900AB and it was 21 days out or longer. I opened a case with RAM customer care. Now my wife, son, truck and trailer are stranded several hundred miles from home. I’m beyond disappointed with Ram at this point. The dealer is great, they just need the part.

“I am very disappointed with Ram on this as this is not a safe condition. When you buy an $80k truck, you expect that Ram could stock the appropriate parts. Electronic parts can fail. I understand that. But they need to anticipate that. How widespread is this issue?”

Attachments

• 2BD041F5-0B66-43D9-84E6-44C327F331AA.jpeg
    2BD041F5-0B66-43D9-84E6-44C327F331AA.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

RiverRock

Reaction score
My part just came in on Thursday. Over 3 weeks. Now the dealer is not sure when he can fit it in. They gave me a loaner, but I need my truck for our RV. Truck sat at my house for the 3 weeks. Steering worked on my drive to the dealer. I hope there are not on going issues with the new part. There was no need to add electronic components to the power steering.

RAMDRVR76

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram 3500 and also had my power steering fail at 4100 miles. We were heading to Texas from Washington State. After arriving in Texas I reached out to the local dealership but they were unable to help us so I continued to drive my truck. All in all it was 4000 mile plus driven with no power steering.... Actually every once in a while after turning the truck off and restarting it the PS would come on for 5-10 sometimes 15 minutes before going out again. My WA local dealer has had the truck for 11 days now. First they said part will be here on the 9th now they are saying the 14th. If my part is not in and my truck done by June 17th I will take it back against their advice. They did not pay for my truck, they wont reimburse me for lost revenue and I NEED MY TRUCK.

I call Ram Care and was basically told to pound sand. They refused to look into it, they refused to provide a part number, they refused to provide inventory status of the part. @RamCares really does not care about their customers who purchase their trucks.

MikeXM

Reaction score
@RamCares really does not care about their customers who purchase their trucks.
Oh, no they do. They absolutely love you. :rolleyes:
But just not as much as their shareholders. Sales and profits first, then manage with left-overs parts the poor souls who bought their products. They can't be waiting for parts so they can ship out new trucks and make profit.
But you on the other hand, can wait for those parts. Even if that cost you your earnings.
:mad:

BikePilot

Reaction score
Are these electric failures only on the trucks with adaptive steering or do all Ram HDs now have electric steering? We’ve had a bad enough experience with the wife’s JGC electric steering that I’m not inclined to buy another vehicle from FCA with the electric setup. Other than that I’m all set to pull the trigger on a ‘22 3500.

27ftToaster

Reaction score
I can't speak for others, but I have a 2500 Limited with all the bells and whistles related to lane keep assist and adaptive steering, and my PS steering failed. Not due to anything mechanical. Just the electronics. Had to drive our travel trailer home from Texas to NC without PS and wait 30 days for the part to get it fixed.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Thanks for the intel, sounds just like my wife’s Jeep. Was working totally fine, she stopped to pick up dry cleaning and when she went to restart the car it said service steering and had no PS. $3k later it works again. I just want a normal mechanical steering system.

brian0128

Reaction score
I went to pick up a new Power Wagon in Virginia on Friday. I did the paperwork and left the dealership to head home to MD. With 24 miles on the odometer I lost the power steering and had a message flash on the dash saying power steering was unavailable. The dealership took the PW back and gave me a loaner 1500. I have the option to walk away from the deal or to drive the new 1500 until the module replacement comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread