Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else have the loose shift lever issue? Does it reoccur?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
On my 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman 3500 CC LB dually HO Aisin -

I just did a google and found this -

I will tighten mine up today. Anyone else have this? Should I expect this to reoccur? Is it a bad design that will plague this truck.

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Prior to ordering a 21' 2500 bighorn i was looking used and test drove a former plow truck. It was a 15' limited longhorn with 90,000 km
Shifter was very loose which had me concerned. One of the reasons i walked away from it. Not the only reason, but one of them.. Had i know it was potentially an easy fix, maybe i would have ended up with it.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Nah, it's just not torqued properly at the factory for some reason.
Set it once - if yours is loose. Not all shifter are loose from factory.

Just like the fuse box. Assembly robot is not strong enough to push the fuses all in :D

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nope no issues after just like the wiper arm torque

RTillery

Reaction score
Mine loosened up after a couple of months from new. I snugged it up, It's been good for over 40,000 miles now.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Took me longer to get out and return the 10mm wrench than to adjust the nut to tighten up the shift lever. All is good now.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
Mine was loose when I purchased (used). Randomly saw that video and tightened it up. I was pretty disappointed with the feel when it was loose, so I'm glad it was an easy fix.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Mine has come loose at the ~9000 mile mark. I'll tighten it back up today and add a drop of blue loctite

gen5020

Reaction score
I wish I would have found this sooner! Truck was in for a different reason. Dealership told me the shift lever was loose, it was a known issue that needed to be fixed because it could be dangerous. I authorized the repair and they charged me $200 to fix it. Need to check repairs here first!

hexplor1

Reaction score
Yep, my 2019 had this issue, but a drop of Loctite fixed it right up. My 2022 is nice & tight from new,

flan

Reaction score
I wish I would have found this sooner! Truck was in for a different reason. Dealership told me the shift lever was loose, it was a known issue that needed to be fixed because it could be dangerous. I authorized the repair and they charged me $200 to fix it. Need to check repairs here first!
$200! Wtf man that’s a ripoff...

jbncccb

Reaction score
If under warranty there is a TSB on it. They change the entire assembly out. The replacement isn't supposed to work back loose. Not sure what's different.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

MikeXM

Reaction score
I would come back to them with the TSB and get them to explain the charge.
Don't let them get away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread