Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Have Any Issues with the new HD's yet?

regal2800

Reaction score
My fill line for DEF pushes down through the mounting surface of the filler compartment each time I fill up with DEF at the truck stop. I have to fish it back up into the filler compartment and hold it with my fingers while I put the cap back on. It is a total pain. I have to take it in to get fixed.
ya i have the same issue. not sure if something is wrong or if it's just a bad design.

loop

Reaction score
Ive noticed I get a lot of wind noise when Im traveling around 80mph down the highway and every now and then a slight whistle. Anyone else having this issue. 2019 2500HD Longhorn. Will be going to the dealer to replace all the weather stripping once I get some free time.

Camr

Reaction score
Had my first issue today after about 4K miles. It rained hard for a while and my drivers side grab handle in the cab was dripping water. First start and stop about a tablespoon of water poured out. Has anyone experienced or heard of this? I’m wondering if it’s a clearance light on the cab or sunroof drain not hooked up? Really not looking forward to visiting the dealer.
I have had exactly the same issue on my 2019 3500 Longhorn. I’ve taped around the left most clearance light and sat radio antenna. We’ve had two rains and no leaks. I’ll remove the tape on the clearance light and see if it is the problem. I noticed that the sat radio antenna appears to have a break in the gasket at the centre rear of the mount. Whether this is by design I don’t know.

jakalafus

Reaction score
New one for me, wife was driving and got a service DEF type error twice. We had disconnected from our trailer so we were not pulling. Didn’t go to limp mode but I am not seeing the error and the dpf shows 0 full. Only 3000 miles. Bad Def at a truck stop maybe? Hope I get this thing home.

D

Deleted member 80

New one for me, wife was driving and got a service DEF type error twice. We had disconnected from our trailer so we were not pulling. Didn’t go to limp mode but I am not seeing the error and the dpf shows 0 full. Only 3000 miles. Bad Def at a truck stop maybe? Hope I get this thing home.
Marion Blair is a youtuber who is a CTD owner and did a video on draining the DEF. You may want to drain it and put fresh DEF in. Bad DEF will be cloudy and/or discolored. From what I have read, the system on the newer trucks will tolerate DEF that is as low as 22% concentration(i.e. diluted with distilled water)before throwing a code for "wrong DEF". If you fear contamination with fuel or foreign material, I'd try to drain it now rather than later.

MyFavreInABox

Reaction score
I have had exactly the same issue on my 2019 3500 Longhorn. I’ve taped around the left most clearance light and sat radio antenna. We’ve had two rains and no leaks. I’ll remove the tape on the clearance light and see if it is the problem. I noticed that the sat radio antenna appears to have a break in the gasket at the centre rear of the mount. Whether this is by design I don’t know.
I have the same gap in the gasket on the antenna.

Dino Diesel

Reaction score
Just over 4 kms on my 19 Tradesman with the cummins. Squeaking brake pedal and the column shift had a lot of play in it. Both items have been fixed by the dealer.

jakalafus

Reaction score
No issues coming back from St. George to Phoenix. Put my code reader on and no codes. No messages either on the dash. Weird. One question, should I see any movement on my DPF percentage? Only 3500 miles but it shows nothing.

D

Deleted member 80

No issues coming back from St. George to Phoenix. Put my code reader on and no codes. No messages either on the dash. Weird. One question, should I see any movement on my DPF percentage? Only 3500 miles but it shows nothing.
This is a good question. When I took delivery mine did have a reading on it which I chalked up to idling during loading, pdi etc. It went into regen and has read zero ever since. BUT it still goes into regen despite reading zero. I have been unable to get an explanation of the regen strategy. Either the DPF gauge is a complete joke, or other parameters are at play, whether miles, hours, cold starts???

snowmiser68

Reaction score
I have 5k miles on my 2019 2500 Hemi 6.4 with 4.10s. About half of that mileage is towing 7-8k pounds. No issues towing across Idaho, Utah, and Montana. So far, I'm loving everything about this truck. My last truck was an '01 F250 7.3 Powerstroke. I was concerned about the move from diesel to gas, but this truck is a big improvement. I would recommend the 2019 (and the new 8 speed transmission) all day long!

IMG_3412.jpg

brucie

Reaction score
About 1700 miles on my 2019-2500 gas and had a number of issues since my first report.
As mentioned before-
The AC system isn't blowing cool enough air to keep the truck cool in 95 degree temps until it has been driven about a half hour. That issue is put on hold by the seasonal change of temperatures.

Three times now it has popped out of reverse, causing the truck to roll forward. This is so dangerous. This is not user error as best as I can determine. There is no way to half-way lock the transmission. The knob is either in gear or not.

I have little to no faith in the collision prevention system. There is no evidence it is working and in fact the other day a warning light popped up saying it was turned off. Sure enough the Unconnect menu showed the system off. Turning it on didn't work because it would just turn itself off after a few seconds. Stopping the vehicle, turning it off and opening the door solved the light issue, but I very much doubt the system is working at all. The manual says there is no way to test it. I suppose that means "just have faith." My faith is lacking.

Twice now, the camera system has failed with "camera system unavailable" message on the screen. Nothing seems to fix it powered up, but turning off the vehicle and opening the door seems to reset it.

I don't know if this is normal, but my automatic wipers turn on in dry weather randomly at odd times. I've never owned automatic wipers, so I don't know what is normal.

Getting terrible mileage with the 6.4. Hand calculated mileage is steady at 11 mpg. I've seen 18 mpg on the computer with over 100 miles of highway driving, but it reverts back to a very low number rapidly. I drive about 20-25% highway and the computer calculated mileage during the 1700 miles of ownership is about 12 mpg. I've hand calculated the last three tanks of gas and they have all been right at 11 mpg. I've found the computer to be .6 mpg too optimistic. I'm not sure if this mileage is an issue or just normal. One thing I have noticed is this truck drinks a lot of gas when just idling. I can live with this, but I am a bit disappointed that the 8 speed isn't doing better.

To say the least, I am no longer impressed by this vehicle. I am already looking forward to the day when I can get rid of it and not lose half my 20K downpayment.

I was hoping the first trip to the dealer would be for an oil change and minor adjustments. I'm not sure I can wait that long.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
As you've seen, the EVIC is an overall average... I've got close to 4K and I'm getting 13 or so around town... my limited highway driving has been 16+
My overall average per Fuelly has gone down a little because of the 30ft Airstream I was towing... even then I was getting just over 10mpg.

Sitting at a light you are going to suck gas... go easy on the throttle and keep it at 70 (or less) on the highway... the 8 speed is light years ahead of the old 6 speed, also realize it is geared for towing and wants to rev high to hit the power band. These are HD trucks, they don't get an EPA MPG rating because it generally suck, however, I will say my 2500 is getting the same, if not better, mileage than my 2019 1500.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Hmm... my average is low to mid 11s after 2000 miles. My average has been the same since the beginning, and although it's not great the fact that it's consistent is good. My driving habits and trips have not changed

brucie

Reaction score
Hmm... my average is low to mid 11s after 2000 miles. My average has been the same since the beginning, and although it's not great the fact that it's consistent is good. My driving habits and trips have not changed
That is exactly what I am seeing.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Oh not really a problem for me per se, but I find with my reflector-style LEDs I get flashed a lot like my high beams are on. It can be on flat ground, too

Personally, I like the headlights a lot, but I'm sure it's going to get worse when I tow at night and the front comes up ever so slightly. I'd say they aren't the absolute best headlights I've had of all my vehicles, but they are my first all LED and they are pretty damn good. Nighttime vision is extremely important to me

Do the projector premium headlights have any leveling capabilities, auto or manual?

brucie

Reaction score
As you've seen, the EVIC is an overall average... I've got close to 4K and I'm getting 13 or so around town... my limited highway driving has been 16+
My overall average per Fuelly has gone down a little because of the 30ft Airstream I was towing... even then I was getting just over 10mpg.

Sitting at a light you are going to suck gas... go easy on the throttle and keep it at 70 (or less) on the highway... the 8 speed is light years ahead of the old 6 speed, also realize it is geared for towing and wants to rev high to hit the power band. These are HD trucks, they don't get an EPA MPG rating because it generally suck, however, I will say my 2500 is getting the same, if not better, mileage than my 2019 1500.

Glad to hear you are getting 10 with the Airstream. I have yet to tow our 24 foot (about 6K loaded) but was a little worried I would get something insanely low towing. I had two Tundras before this and was getting 9-11 towing depending on the geography. Doesn't sound like it will be that much different.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
Glad to hear you are getting 10 with the Airstream. I have yet to tow our 24 foot (about 6K loaded) but was a little worried I would get something insanely low towing. I had two Tundras before this and was getting 9-11 towing depending on the geography. Doesn't sound like it will be that much different.

unless you tow an Airstream, it's important to note that when one does, they usually get better gas mileage than others that tow the average travel trailer.

Airstreams are lower to the ground and are more aerodynamic. that helps a lot with milage.

brucie

Reaction score
unless you tow an Airstream, it's important to note that when one does, they usually get better gas mileage than others that tow the average travel trailer.

Airstreams are lower to the ground and are more aerodynamic. that helps a lot with milage.

I will find out soon enough. I had a Forest River R-Pod with my first Tundra. It was only about 10 feet tall and only 6 feet wide with a totally curved front end and got no better mileage with that than with my 8 foot wide current house on wheels. I'm sort of hoping the higher and more aerodynamic profile of the 2500 will help with improving mileage with my current trailer. I've found speed plays a great role determining what kind of mileage you get towing. It's aerodynamics and RPMs in my experience. We have route we take to go to the shore where you never go above 55 mph for 90% of the trip and often get 12 mpg on it. I never exceed 62 mph towing except during a rare pass, but at that speed, 10.5 was about as good as it got with the Tundra on flat road. Anything hilly or mountainous and you dropped below 10. I'll be happy if I don't drop below 9 on a regular basis with the 2500. I may take it on a test drive this weekend as I need to make sure I have the WDH rigged correctly.

brucie

Reaction score
Oh not really a problem for me per se, but I find with my reflector-style LEDs I get flashed a lot like my high beams are on. It can be on flat ground, too

Personally, I like the headlights a lot, but I'm sure it's going to get worse when I tow at night and the front comes up ever so slightly. I'd say they aren't the absolute best headlights I've had of all my vehicles, but they are my first all LED and they are pretty damn good. Nighttime vision is extremely important to me

Do the projector premium headlights have any leveling capabilities, auto or manual?

I'm not aware of any leveling capability. I will miss that too, as I had a manual adjustment on the dash of my previous truck. The way I handle it is by using the auto-high beams. They are slow enough responding to show most people that it can get a lot worse if the high beams were on, so leave me alone. I don't need to flash anyone back. I haven't done a huge amount of night driving but I can't say I have had anyone flash me yet. Only 1700 miles under my belt though.

snowmiser68

Reaction score
I'm averaging 9.5 (hand-calc'd) towing about 7k pounds - bumper pull 26' travel trailer. My old F250 with the 7.3 diesel averaged about 11, so it's almost a wash given the difference in fuel prices. The power seems very comparable to older diesels - I haven't bogged down once going through the mountains of Idaho and Montana. Like you, my truck computer seems to be about .5-.6 too optimistic in mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread