Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Have Any Issues with the new HD's yet?

OverlandtheRam

Reaction score
1st step: check your fuses to see if they're tight.
THIS. I had a weird issue w/ the truck thinking it was towing a trailer and the auto blind spot turned off on it's own and it went into auto trailer mode. Checked the fuses under the hood and ALL of them along with the relays were barely seated. No issues since that happened.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
First experience in snow with stock transforce AT's...... absolute crap. Thank the MOPAR lord I have a TJ with some aggressive tread.

Left work to go home and get snow gear since it started earlier than expected. Was NOT confident in the least and i was sliding everywhere in 4wd.

I guess I wouldn't mind it so much since I have the wrangler but I also tow a boat and the truck can't even exit the ramp empty without a couple tire skips.

I'm probably just going to leave them on since I only have about 13k miles on them. It sucks to tell ppl at work that my "bigass 4x4" can't pick them up during snow because we might all die

Wmhjr

Reaction score
First experience in snow with stock transforce AT's...... absolute crap. Thank the MOPAR lord I have a TJ with some aggressive tread.

Left work to go home and get snow gear since it started earlier than expected. Was NOT confident in the least and i was sliding everywhere in 4wd.

I guess I wouldn't mind it so much since I have the wrangler but I also tow a boat and the truck can't even exit the ramp empty without a couple tire skips.

I'm probably just going to leave them on since I only have about 13k miles on them. It sucks to tell ppl at work that my "bigass 4x4" can't pick them up during snow because we might all die

Hmmm. I have them on my '20 2500 Bighorn. I've been out in about 18" of snow for the past few days - including a bunch of unplowed stuff. They've been perfectly well behaved for me. And I'm here in SW PA. The only thing we have that's flat are bowling alleys.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Hmmm. I have them on my '20 2500 Bighorn. I've been out in about 18" of snow for the past few days - including a bunch of unplowed stuff. They've been perfectly well behaved for me. And I'm here in SW PA. The only thing we have that's flat are bowling alleys.

I was not getting any of that. I had a 2012 3500 cummins and those stock tires worked wonderfully.

I will admit the weather type was not good at all. Started snow, then sleet, then rain, then sleet, then snow, etc. So it was already a layer of ice. But I've been in that before, and I switched vehicles and had a completely different driving experience with the wrangler

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I was not getting any of that. I had a 2012 3500 cummins and those stock tires worked wonderfully.

I will admit the weather type was not good at all. Started snow, then sleet, then rain, then sleet, then snow, etc. So it was already a layer of ice. But I've been in that before, and I switched vehicles and had a completely different driving experience with the wrangler

Not to be a jerk, but if you're expecting a Ram HD to behave like a wrangler I don't care what tires you put on it. Not gonna happen. Physics just won't let it. Not saying your experience was good or bad - just that it's a really unfair comparison to make. Hell, the front end of the HD weighs more than the entire wrangler, and the weight distribution isn't even close.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Not to be a jerk, but if you're expecting a Ram HD to behave like a wrangler I don't care what tires you put on it. Not gonna happen. Physics just won't let it. Not saying your experience was good or bad - just that it's a really unfair comparison to make. Hell, the front end of the HD weighs more than the entire wrangler, and the weight distribution isn't even close.

I hear you. But for this truck to be the worst out of 3 other rams to me is all tire, which was my original gripe. I've never had less confidence in the snow except for my old mazdaspeed3 with summer tires

ajutzi

Reaction score
I have the same rattle! My truck is at dealership and this is on the list. I checked everything to see if there was something loose and could not locate anything!

Didn't have the truck long enough to really determine anything about the transmission.
I also have it. I am thinking mine is the hitch adapter.

kristof

Reaction score
I hear you. But for this truck to be the worst out of 3 other rams to me is all tire, which was my original gripe. I've never had less confidence in the snow except for my old mazdaspeed3 with summer tires
I miss my mazdaspeed3. Had to sell it cause we were buying a house and needed the cash

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The OEM Transforce ATs are known bean-counter hot garbage. I figured they would suck in weather because they can't even grip dry pavement in 100F. Good for dry highway towing and that's it. Part of the reason the corny, very un-original "4x4 Off-Road" sticker had to go. To think they actually upcharged for those lame treads.... Last gripe: White walls out? Really? To what? Advertise the wanna-be wack Firestones? Even on the Night Edition? Had to be the same guy that thought up the glitter bomb pump decision.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Didn't t you see it before you bought it?
I saw the OEM 20" transforce AT tires, asked the dealer for fair credit to remove and replace with BFG AT KO2 rubber, they said that they can't remove and resell a tire. Call a tire shop.

I called my buddy at his shop, he said that he would do it, but I wouldn't like it.... he would offer $40 each the day I buy the truck. At that point, I'll stick it up and get the miserable 15k or so tread life (I'm at 8,800 and at about 50%) and I'll go buy the KO2 tires.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Xflight29

Reaction score
I agree they are far from a quality tire but I'm at 16000 on these still look real good.
I pull a 8000 Ib boat on a slippery ramp and have never spun a tire.

kristof

Reaction score
I have a snow package on my 2500 and those tires spin most of the time it rains.

Lary0071

Reaction score
I agree they are far from a quality tire but I'm at 16000 on these still look real good.
I pull a 8000 Ib boat on a slippery ramp and have never spun a tire.
Maybe it's a weight issue, I used to pull light trailers like that with my half ton and it didn't appear to effect the tires wear at all. But pulling heavy on my Ram HD with gooseneck and fifths that have 2,500 to 3,000 lb pin weight, I can almost see the tire wear change between fuel fills!

I'm voting that these tires just can't put up with the leads once you leave the world of light trailers and light loads. And maybe I'm wrong about them and maybe the KO2 will wear nearly as bad?

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Maybe it's a weight issue, I used to pull light trailers like that with my half ton and it didn't appear to effect the tires wear at all. But pulling heavy on my Ram HD with gooseneck and fifths that have 2,500 to 3,000 lb pin weight, I can almost see the tire wear change between fuel fills!

I'm voting that these tires just can't put up with the leads once you leave the world of light trailers and light loads. And maybe I'm wrong about them and maybe the KO2 will wear nearly as bad?

That's not the issue. Comparing rear tire wear on a gasser 1/2 ton to a Cummins isn't even remotely possible. The torque being applied to those rear wheels is insane compared to the itty bitty torque of a 1/2 ton gasser. THAT is what wears the rear tires so much more. I don't care what tire you put on - that's going to be the case. I've been towing for years and years, with both gassers and Cummins. Without exception and regardless of what tire I selected, the Diesel goes through rear tires towing ANYTHING at way faster a rate than the half ton.

Lary0071

Reaction score
That's not the issue. Comparing rear tire wear on a gasser 1/2 ton to a Cummins isn't even remotely possible. The torque being applied to those rear wheels is insane compared to the itty bitty torque of a 1/2 ton gasser. THAT is what wears the rear tires so much more. I don't care what tire you put on - that's going to be the case. I've been towing for years and years, with both gassers and Cummins. Without exception and regardless of what tire I selected, the Diesel goes through rear tires towing ANYTHING at way faster a rate than the half ton.
Your statement almost had merit.... but mine is a gasser HD.... and the massive torque of that big 6.4L Hemi is what destroys tires.

Okay, back to reality. It's the weight.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Your statement almost had merit.... but mine is a gasser HD.... and the massive torque of that big 6.4L Hemi is what destroys tires.

Okay, back to reality. It's the weight.

Statement still has merit - just does not apply to you.

3_Rams

Reaction score
I went to install a block heater cord, in the process removed turbo intake. I noticed there was oil leaking from the turbo. Is this normal?
I have 11,000 miles on the truck which is a 2109 2500.

Attachments

• D6171838-0830-4E9B-ABC9-1472D64FA05B.jpeg
    D6171838-0830-4E9B-ABC9-1472D64FA05B.jpeg
    591.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 492CE6C1-23FF-49D6-B468-2A44BB408B10.jpeg
    492CE6C1-23FF-49D6-B468-2A44BB408B10.jpeg
    509.9 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread