Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any tall guys found issue with lack of headroom/legroom?

Camstyn

Reaction score
Trying out a 2020 3500 Laramie with bucket front seats. I love the truck, but I was surprised that with the drivers seat all the way back my right knee is still almost touching the dash. If I scoot as far back into the seat as I can my head is against the headliner. I’m 6’5 with around a 35” inseam so I’m tall but not especially long legs. I find the legroom/footroom adequate just don’t like how my knee is almost hitting the dash.
Any work arounds for this? Can the seat be moved lower or rearward safely.
This truck does have a sunroof which probably contributes to the headroom issue, but my GM’s are way better in this regard, the seats adjust lower and further back.

John Jensen

Reaction score
My nephew had the same [roblem. Especially with the headroom. He tried different models, with and without the sunroof.
He bought a Ford which has lots of headroom for him.

Camstyn

Reaction score
Buckets are 8-way power so did you have the seat all the way down?

yes, all the way down and all the way back, really surprised that was as far as it would go in either direction. It’s a bit of a deal breaker for me, I love the truck but my Silverado is so much roomier up front.

Last edited:

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I am 6'7" with 36 inseam. I do not have the issue with the knees. But I bought a 2020 3500 Tradesman because the higher trims had the sunroof and I need the headroom. I do not fit in the Laramie or the Limited trim seats as well as I do the Tradesman seats. I have the manual seats. Nuttin fancy.

Distillusion

Reaction score
6'6" / 36" inseam. My knees are an inch or so from the dash but not touching (Laramie). Slightly less space than in my 2015 1500. I have considered fooling around with the seat rail, but honestly I'm fairly comfortable with it.

AndyS

Reaction score
6'7" / 36" inseam. This is the roomiest truck I've ever had. Having no center console helps a lot. I tried a Laramie with the console and was uncomfortable. Way better headroom too than my Y2K 2500 Cummins had.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I can remember back as far a 2002 and I too have had that problem with my right knee bumping the dash from time to time. It is just the way they designed the dash. If the had a telescoping steering column, I could move the seat back some more. I do believe the newer models give you even less room where you place your knee when driving.

wjcook68

Reaction score
I am a biggun too. 6'5" with 36" inseam. I have a Tradesman Crew Cab. I love the bench seat. No leg room issues at all.

Camstyn

Reaction score
Bummer, was really hoping someone might have found a simple solution to move the seat back a little or down a little or both. The only solution the dealer had wad to send the truck to an accessibility shop and it would have cost thousands. I really wanted that truck but had to pass, it’s a deal breaker for me.

I had a 2012 Ram 3500 crew cab and had no issues with it, was really disappointed that they’ve gotten smaller inside.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Bummer, was really hoping someone might have found a simple solution to move the seat back a little or down a little or both. The only solution the dealer had wad to send the truck to an accessibility shop and it would have cost thousands. I really wanted that truck but had to pass, it’s a deal breaker for me.

I had a 2012 Ram 3500 crew cab and had no issues with it, was really disappointed that they’ve gotten smaller inside.

What trim level of truck was it? Perhaps look at a different trim level as those seats may be different?

Camstyn

Reaction score
What trim level of truck was it? Perhaps look at a different trim level as those seats may be different?

it’s a loaded up 2020 Laramie dually. problem is I want all the bells and whistles but good luck finding a 2020 on the ground in the color/package I want without the sunroof and front bucket seats, that would be a custom order and I’d be missing out on the current 2020 rebates. It’s a carbon copy of this one here shown on their website but in granite metallic.

Attachments

• 6E6DA949-EAB7-4E3A-A272-09640ED4C4A5.jpeg
    6E6DA949-EAB7-4E3A-A272-09640ED4C4A5.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 16

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I also tried to find a Laramie or Limited without a sunroof. I couldn't so I bought a nicely out fitted Tradesman. At least it is not white!

wjcook68

Reaction score
I also tried to find a Laramie or Limited without a sunroof. I couldn't so I bought a nicely out fitted Tradesman. At least it is not white!

I hear you. Nothing wrong with white trucks but I was ecstatic to find a Tradesman in Hydro Blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I hear you. Nothing wrong with white trucks but I was ecstatic to find a Tradesman in Hydro Blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My last three trucks were white because that's what I found used at the time I was looking. My 2020 is my first new truck I have ever purchased. I almost ordered one in yellow, but they have 4 "yellow's", and my color blind self didn't know which was closest to the proper "Green Bay Packers" yellow. I would have been ill if I ordered the incorrect yellow.

The Delmonico Red Pearl Coat is beautiful. In the summers in NC, it is noticeably warmer than a white truck would be. But I no longer live in Florida...

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
These trucks definitely sit tall. And not just exterior wise. Just came from a 16 Silverado 1500 and that thing had a foot of adjustment up/down.

In my new 2500 I feel like my head is scraping the roof and that I'm sitting at what would be the max height of my last truck and my seat is all the way down. 6'2".

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
6’6”, almost 300 lbs here ... not a single problem with room, but no sunroof in mine ... but that being said, weirdly enough though my 2010 1500 slt quad cab did feel like it had more room from my knees to the dash and with where the steering wheel was. But all in all, not a single complaint about room in the 19 2500

Users who are viewing this thread