Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another reason why I hate dealers...

GPurcell01

Reaction score
I took my truck in to get the Y76 recall done. From where I was sitting in the waiting room, I could hear a truck being revved and tires squealing. I thought for sure that wouldn't be mine, right?

Went ahead and looked at my dash cam and lookie what I found. Am I right for being pissed about this? Or am I getting my panties in a wad for not having enough coffee this morning? I know they didn't cause any damage, but come on... it's not yours to treat that way.

Apparently the mods I've done made them quite giddy.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Ask to speak to the manager and show him the videos and ask why?
It's obvious they were doing it on purpose.
Granted the tires will squeal easier on the slick shop floor. But they are doing it on purpose. It's not their truck to play with.

Probably didnt hurt anything, but you didnt give them permission to drive like that I'm sure.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I think my initial reaction would be the same as yours, however watching the whole video, its not a big deal. He seemed genuinely excited to check out your truck.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Ask to speak to the manager and show him the videos and ask why?
It's obvious they were doing it on purpose.
Granted the tires will squeal easier on the slick shop floor. But they are doing it on purpose. It's not their truck to play with.

Probably didnt hurt anything, but you didnt give them permission to drive like that I'm sure.

Definitely not. I called the service advisor back and his answer was "I'm sorry man but the best I can do is an apology and a free oil change." He was a nice guy to work with so my problem is not with him.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
I think my initial reaction would be the same as yours, however watching the whole video, its not a big deal. He seemed genuinely excited to check out your truck.
I don't mind them checking it out at all. It was kind of funny listening to their reactions in all honesty. Just the excessive revving and tire squealing that bothers me

MtnRider

Reaction score
You must have a throttle booster on there by the way they were acting. What ever mods you did got their curiosity up but I think it was pretty innocent in the end. Not like they too kit out for a joy ride, I've seen much worse.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The tire chirping on the shop floor seemed fairly innocent, you possibly have a throttle booster and they are used to driving dead pedal trucks. Slick shop floors, parking complexes, etc. tires squeal super easy especially when dusty.

The no load high revving and particularly the going through my stuff would set me off big time and I'd want a personal apology from both those goons.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
The tire chirping on the shop floor seemed fairly innocent, you possibly have a throttle booster and they are used to driving dead pedal trucks. Slick shop floors, parking complexes, etc. tires squeal super easy especially when dusty.

The no load high revving and particularly the going through my stuff would set me off big time and I'd want a personal apology from both those goons.
But they also tried to spin the tires outside and even commented on it. So they were doing it on purpose.
But yea, going thru my personal stuff is a big no no.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
No throttle booster. Weight loss made it much more responsive. In one of the videos they were thinking about taking it out. If I would've seen it leaving I really would have raised hell since I know it's not needed for the recall.

Just solidifies my reasoning for doing all maintenance and work myself. I'll be locking the compartments from now on if it does have to go in ever again. Pretty sad I have to do that but oh well...

Service advisor is aware of it. Dealer is aware of it. Both parties have the videos.

WildBill138

Reaction score
I love that you have your dash cam running while in the shop. This needs to be more common.
These guys dont seem too bad. When i worked on a race team it was very normal to rev cars etc to see if anything sounded off. Little different but could be argued to be a check for your benefit. The laughing is a bit unprofessional, but happy mech happy truck right?

Chris1911

Reaction score
What i saw wouldn't bother me at all. They were impressed with your truck and it sounds like you have a pedal commander or similar installed, which they are not used to.

Grayson

Reaction score
I leave a firearm in my truck on the rare occasion that its taken in for service. I have cameras also and going through my compartments without need could be construed (with video) as a felony.

I have never had this happen, I would be more concerned about the rambling through your truck more so than being giddy; while unprofessional its unlikely it did any damage. If I were the GM or owner of that dealership that employee would be terminated regardless of labor shortages for rambling through your stuff.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I love that you have your dash cam running while in the shop. This needs to be more common.
These guys dont seem too bad. When i worked on a race team it was very normal to rev cars etc to see if anything sounded off. Little different but could be argued to be a check for your benefit. The laughing is a bit unprofessional, but happy mech happy truck right?
They always disable mine by unplugging it, the last time i was at the dealer i lost it on them for doing it as it is not part of the work order to unplug my cameras…..

I remember one time i had my jeep in for service i had aftermarket led headlights they were playing with them showing all the guys in the shop including the service manager i was watching them through the shop window i just went in to the shop and asked them when did they require you to play with the headlights for an oilchange…

Last edited:

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
They seemed to be enthusiastic about your truck which is positive but I agree, a little childish.

The few times I went to shops (normally do most repairs and service myself):
- Stolen Ray Ban sunglasses 200$, wasn't able to get them back, even after contacting manager.
- Broken electrical connector on the BMW motorcycle spark plug coil, of course was covered up but got replaced for free 1 year later after me complaining. Value about 200$ bike was 2 years old.
- Missing screws on the motorcycle fairing. Got fixed after complaining
- Wrong oil in rear drive- red color instead of dark grey. Cost cutting I guess. BMW rear drive oil was 40$ per qt.
- Cross threaded bolts to connect the underfloor on my Tacoma. It was 2 years old at the time. Only Toyata shop worked on it.
- Scratched wheels by the tire shop, 2x 400$ brand new M- wheels. No fix from the shop. They said it was my fault because the Auto X tires were stiffer than normal tires.
- Another tire shop scratched my wheels on the curb when parking it next to the shop- no fix.
- Tire shop did not balance the front wheel correct on my motorcycle, was too much work to change the machine from car tire to motorcycle. Just put a weight to a random position. That nearly threw me off the bike going 80mph. The fixed it but no apology.

I bet there are way better stories available from other members but the above "learnings" will keep me away from dealers if possible.

Basser53

Reaction score
The first chirp I think was an accident.. reving it before he shut it down and trying again in the parking lot wasnt.. I would have let them know about it for sure..
Curious what dash cam are u using?

Users who are viewing this thread