Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anderson WDH w a 38' TT? Edit: Bumper Pull

Chuck754

Reaction score
I’m sure everyone knows by now that Anderson 5th wheel hitch was in a law suit following an accident several years ago-and there are strong opinions about that hitch. But Anderson also makes a WDH for travel trailers that has revolutionized the TT industry (use of lighter weight components to accomplish the same results as heavy and greasy bars/balls).

When I purchased my 2023 TT the dealer that had installed my old WDH on my 2013 TT explained how they had completely changed all their customers over to the Anderson because of price, ease of use and performance. The thing I didn’t like about my old trailer was the weigh of the hitch, the grease, the time it took to attach and the popping noise it made turning. All those issues are eliminated with the Anderson and it has been a joy to have on my new trailer.

With that all said I realize you are asking about bigger TTs (mine is only 24’). My opinion is that if your TT is over 11K pounds you might be better served by a conventional heavy duty WDH, utilizing heavy bars.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Love hitch threads. They are about as polarizing as Muslim vs Jew opinions.

Go with the hitch where the company's customer service ranks the highest -- meaning they stand behind their product full stop, period.

/thread.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Love hitch threads. They are about as polarizing as Muslim vs Jew opinions.

Go with the hitch where the company's customer service ranks the highest -- meaning they stand behind their product full stop, period.

/thread.
I can’t say I have any experience with Andersen customer support, but I do know the owner carved graffiti on an Arch in Utah a couple years ago.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I’m sure everyone knows by now that Anderson 5th wheel hitch was in a law suit following an accident several years ago-and there are strong opinions about that hitch. But Anderson also makes a WDH for travel trailers that has revolutionized the TT industry (use of lighter weight components to accomplish the same results as heavy and greasy bars/balls).

When I purchased my 2023 TT the dealer that had installed my old WDH on my 2013 TT explained how they had completely changed all their customers over to the Anderson because of price, ease of use and performance. The thing I didn’t like about my old trailer was the weigh of the hitch, the grease, the time it took to attach and the popping noise it made turning. All those issues are eliminated with the Anderson and it has been a joy to have on my new trailer.

With that all said I realize you are asking about bigger TTs (mine is only 24’). My opinion is that if your TT is over 11K pounds you might be better served by a conventional heavy duty WDH, utilizing heavy bars.
That is the very reason I'm looking into it. I'm under 11k# by a little, I think my gvwr is 9750. Hoping back over all my research there were just a few people saying they're "not sure" of this on longer or heavier trailers. No one I could find w direct experience. As I mentioned in a previous post 35' seems to be the biggest I can find. I'm likely going to go w this. It seems too good to pass up.

Buckrub

Reaction score
That is the very reason I'm looking into it. I'm under 11k# by a little, I think my gvwr is 9750. Hoping back over all my research there were just a few people saying they're "not sure" of this on longer or heavier trailers. No one I could find w direct experience. As I mentioned in a previous post 35' seems to be the biggest I can find. I'm likely going to go w this. It seems too good to pass up.
Are we talking bumper pull or 5th wheel? I have lots of friends with 5th wheels of 40, 41, 42 feet that have Andersens, and have had for several years. They seem to like them. One guy has had the red plastic cup thing fall apart but it turned out to not have anything to do with functionality. It's not for me, but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla and strawberry.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Are we talking bumper pull or 5th wheel? I have lots of friends with 5th wheels of 40, 41, 42 feet that have Andersens, and have had for several years. They seem to like them. One guy has had the red plastic cup thing fall apart but it turned out to not have anything to do with functionality. It's not for me, but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla and strawberry.
Bumper pull...

I actually really wanted a fifth wheel this time around but didn't find one that checked off all my boxes the way this white hawk does...

ammdrew

Reaction score
If you are bumper pulling, worried about sway then there really is no other hitch to recommend then ProPride. The hitch works like a train coupler and the pivot point is projected forward to the rear axle. Best ride you will have with a bumper pull and well worth the exspensive. I would guess I have crossed the country 4 or 5 times now with our ProPride hitch on everything from a 30ft camper to 38ft toyhauler.

silver billet

Reaction score
I've used the andersen no sway wdh for a few years now, I came from a husky centerline ts system. I prefer the andersen by a wide margin, the ease of setup/tear down, the ability to tweak the system depending on your load, it's lightweight, silent, no grease anywhere, no bars to store/lose/grease up the trailer etc.

It performs flawlessly for me, my trailer is a dual axle but relatively small at 23-ish feet long. 0 sway, and I ended up getting rid of my porpoising which I had with the husky.

I've also read that the anderson isn't the best with excessively long or heavy trailers but I personally have no experience with that setup. I do know guys that have used them on 3/4 ton setups (my truck is a 1500) and heavier loads without issues.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
I’ve used an equalizer on a 25 foot hybrid for 3 years and it was great. Recently bought a 37 foot and upgraded to Pro Pride hitch, which is essentially a more modern Anderson hitch. I’ve got about 2k miles on it so far and it’s been solid. No sway at all.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Interesting hitch. I wasn't familiar with it so I had to go research it. The anti-sway mechanism is simple and looks like a good concept. From reviews, sounds like it's pretty effective.

The weight dist brackets don't exactly inspire confidence the way they clamp to the trailer tongue. Maybe once pressure is applied and the bottom of the bracket pulls fwd, the clamp bolts dig into the frame members to keep them in place? Definitely looks like they'll have their hands full with a long trailer so I understand your concern. Anderson says 16k rated? Seems like a stretch. I'm thinking you'd have limited weight dist function at that weight. They might not fail but I'd be shocked if you didn't experience porpoising with a 16k trailer.

I know I didn't provide any value, basically just replied so I'll see future posts. I know...there's a button for that.

Red Rider

Reaction score
I tried using the Anderson on a lightweight 37 ft trailer (8000 lbs) with about a 900 lb tongue weight. I could never get it to transfer adequate weight back to the front axle. I contacted Anderson about the issue and they admitted that with a long trailer, the weight transfer might not be ideal. They told me to try tightening everything up some more and I tightened the chains to the point that the compression parts were bulging out considerably (this was Anderson’s suggestion) and still could not get a decent weight transfer. End up selling the hitch to someone with a much shorter and lighter trailer. It’s a great concept and is easy to hook up but it does seem to have some design limitations.

Nick

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has used an Anderson WDH w a long TT? A few questionable sources saying it's not good for sway on long TT's. I really want to try this one out as it's lighter and seems infinitely easier to use than the Centerline one I was using on my old TT.

38' TT w a 3500 srw hemi. Both payload and pull are way under max.
With a trailer that long you better have a hitch with serious anti sway capabilities . The same company that makes Trailer saver (Hensly) also make a tow hitch it is called the Equalizer 4 point anti sway . When Semis come blowing you ,you better have the best you can afford to keep it straight. My 5th wheel is 35 ft I couldn't imagine having to maneuver a 35 ft TT. Good luck and enjoy your new TT .

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
With a trailer that long you better have a hitch with serious anti sway capabilities . The same company that makes Trailer saver (Hensly) also make a tow hitch it is called the Equalizer 4 point anti sway . When Semis come blowing you ,you better have the best you can afford to keep it straight. My 5th wheel is 35 ft I couldn't imagine having to maneuver a 35 ft TT. Good luck and enjoy your new TT .

Somebody drank the kool-aid.

Sway control is a gimmick and a bandaid. The best way to not experience sway is also the cheapest, have a properly loaded trailer with adequate tongue weight. If the trailer is built and loaded correctly it won’t sway, period. Anyone who says different is either selling you something or justifying their purchase.

If semi’s are blowing you all over the road then you’re setup is wrong, it really is that simple.

Hensley and Equalizer are competitors, not sister companies.

Nick

Reaction score
Somebody drank the kool-aid.

Sway control is a gimmick and a bandaid. The best way to not experience sway is also the cheapest, have a properly loaded trailer with adequate tongue weight. If the trailer is built and loaded correctly it won’t sway, period. Anyone who says different is either selling you something or justifying their purchase.

If semi’s are blowing you all over the road then you’re setup is wrong, it really is that simple.

Hensley and Equalizer are competitors, not sister companies.
You are right . Hensley makes the Arrow . Obviously your opinion differs on sway control .

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I tried using the Anderson on a lightweight 37 ft trailer (8000 lbs) with about a 900 lb tongue weight. I could never get it to transfer adequate weight back to the front axle. I contacted Anderson about the issue and they admitted that with a long trailer, the weight transfer might not be ideal. They told me to try tightening everything up some more and I tightened the chains to the point that the compression parts were bulging out considerably (this was Anderson’s suggestion) and still could not get a decent weight transfer. End up selling the hitch to someone with a much shorter and lighter trailer. It’s a great concept and is easy to hook up but it does seem to have some design limitations.
HHmmm this is my fear... I reached out to anderson and they said it will be fine too. I think in spite of all of this I'm going to give it a whirl...i have a lot of local trips booked next season before we go on any long trips. I'm too lured in by the ease of use and greaseless design. The Propride comes in at $4k. Thats a bit insane (granted, so is flipping the trailer) I never even remotely had a performance issue w the centerline so that will be my backup plan.

I should also mention my camper has wide stance axles which are supposed to help a bit w sway too. Hoping the combo of the 2 gets it done.

@AH64ID I think we should be good with this rig. We learned a lot...like we packed WAY too much crap we never used. I think we will be lighter. Plus, unlike my last rig, we will be well within payload specs of the tv.

The new camper is in! Now, just waiting on the truck. Gonna pull the trigger on the hitch in the next few days.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
You didn’t have enough tongue weight to begin with. Adding a wdh is actually making it worse. The problem is usually not enough tongue weight.

There is zero reason, In my opinion, to need a WDH on a trailer that light with that light of a tongue weight. throw the WDH in the scrap pile and load the trailer correctly.

Perhaps, and this is a big perhaps, you may need a WDH if you have way too much tongue weight and you literally cannot load your trailer any better and you need to shift some tongue weight off the ball.

silver billet

Reaction score
Interesting hitch. I wasn't familiar with it so I had to go research it. The anti-sway mechanism is simple and looks like a good concept. From reviews, sounds like it's pretty effective.

The weight dist brackets don't exactly inspire confidence the way they clamp to the trailer tongue. Maybe once pressure is applied and the bottom of the bracket pulls fwd, the clamp bolts dig into the frame members to keep them in place? Definitely looks like they'll have their hands full with a long trailer so I understand your concern. Anderson says 16k rated? Seems like a stretch. I'm thinking you'd have limited weight dist function at that weight. They might not fail but I'd be shocked if you didn't experience porpoising with a 16k trailer.

I know I didn't provide any value, basically just replied so I'll see future posts. I know...there's a button for that.

For heavier setups, to prevent the brackets from moving, I believe Andersen recommends drilling a screw into the frame. I haven't done that, over 2 years and thousands of KMs towing its stayed in the exact same spot.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Yeah - screwing into the frame makes me a little nervous. I'd definitely wait for movement before I resorted to that...

silver billet

Reaction score
Yeah - screwing into the frame makes me a little nervous. I'd definitely wait for movement before I resorted to that...

IIRC it's more of a set screw than a through bolt. You just put a little dimple in the actual frame, then the set screw goes through the brackets and into the dimple in the frame providing enough friction that the bracket could never slide around again.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
IIRC it's more of a set screw than a through bolt. You just put a little dimple in the actual frame, then the set screw goes through the brackets and into the dimple in the frame providing enough friction that the bracket could never slide around again.
Ah, makes sense. The way these TT's are built, putting unnecessary stress or holes on anything seems like a bad idea. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread