Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anderson WDH w a 38' TT? Edit: Bumper Pull

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has used an Anderson WDH w a long TT? A few questionable sources saying it's not good for sway on long TT's. I really want to try this one out as it's lighter and seems infinitely easier to use than the Centerline one I was using on my old TT.

38' TT w a 3500 srw hemi. Both payload and pull are way under max.

Last edited:

Adam06

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has used an Anderson WDH w a long TT? A few questionable sources saying it's not good for sway on long TT's. I really want to try this one out as it's lighter and seems infinitely easier to use than the Centerline one I was using on my old TT.

38' TT w a 3500 srw hemi. Both payload and pull are way under max.
Careful with the Anderson hitch it voids your frame warranty on a travel trailer.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’ve seen the Anderson WDH literally fold under pressure. I’d stay with Equalizer or the new B&W Continuum.

Adam06

Reaction score
I went with the goose box it tows great my toy hauler is 18,500 lbs

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I’ve seen the Anderson WDH literally fold under pressure. I’d stay with Equalizer or the new B&W Continuum.
Wow - really? This marks the second or third bad thing I could dig up about it. I really want to like it, it looks so damn easy to manage. Really hated using the centerline, though it did perform very wel.

waveslayer

Reaction score
I have one and it works great on several TT. Not sure how they fold... it's a chain so yes technically it can fold?....

I haven't had any issues and I have no complaints. I have used an Equalizer in the past and now use Anderson. Just set it up properly and you should be GTG

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use one on any trailer. There isn’t any physics behind it’s ability to effectively transfer weight.

Think of a WDH as a wheelbarrow. You want to lift the wheelbarrow handles to get the weight onto your arms and the tire. That’s how a traditional WDH works. The anderson would be the equivalent of pulling the handles towards you, which wouldn’t put any weight onto your arms or the front tire.

Adam06

Reaction score
Ok - I was wondering about that. You think it puts any more stress than a traditional WDH?
Not sure I had the Anderson hitch for my fifth wheel I guess differently from travel trailer. But for the fifth wheel I have a warranty forever on it. Took it in for inspection and was told lipert the maker of the frame voided the warranty. They only have a few hitch’s they approve. The place I bought the rv had sold me the Anderson system and bought back the system and put the goose box and had to take the front cap off for inspection of frame (stress cracks) and send pictures and inspection report to lipert. Anderson has had issues with cracking frames

Summit1

Reaction score
Something worth consideration... feet don't matter but pounds do. This is never mentioned on Faecesbook, which is mostly just folks tepeating what they see elsewhere on FB and voting as such.

Consider the tongue/pin weight of the trailer to be towed and go from there. Also, you get what you pay for. A hitch from BlueOx or Equal-i-Zer will last much longer, be easier to set up and use, and provide better stability and sway control.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I have one and it works great on several TT. Not sure how they fold... it's a chain so yes technically it can fold?....

I haven't had any issues and I have no complaints. I have used an Equalizer in the past and now use Anderson. Just set it up properly and you should be GTG

I can’t find the photos now, but on all of the ones I’ve seen the little flat triangle that the chains attach to had twisted and folded back on one or both sides.

waveslayer

Reaction score
I can’t find the photos now, but on all of the ones I’ve seen the little flat triangle that the chains attach to had twisted and folded back on one or both sides.
Mine never has, they must not have torqued it properly..

jsalbre

Reaction score
Mine never has, they must not have torqued it properly..

I don’t think it has anything to do with proper installation. If the angle between the trailer and truck vertically becomes great enough then the chains are pulling on that tiny little plate in a direction that it isn’t strong.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Something worth consideration... feet don't matter but pounds do. This is never mentioned on Faecesbook, which is mostly just folks tepeating what they see elsewhere on FB and voting as such.

Consider the tongue/pin weight of the trailer to be towed and go from there. Also, you get what you pay for. A hitch from BlueOx or Equal-i-Zer will last much longer, be easier to set up and use, and provide better stability and sway control.
Not sure I follow with the feet/pounds thing? Also as for $$ the Anderson is in, roughly, the same range. significantly more $$ than the Centerline hitch I've been using.

I'm really torn on this decision. I often travel in a group and I feel I sway the least (w the centerline) - AND my old rig was over payload capacity by probably a lot. We all have different brands, but relatively similar set ups. The allure of the simple use of the Anderson is too much to not consider though. I'm thinking I may give it a shot. Worst case (other than flipping) is I sell it and buy the centerline and hope I don't take too much of a hit...

bobbo7915

Reaction score
I have almost 7,000 miles on my anderson WD setup, zero issues and no complaints. tow a 35' travel trailer with no sway or bouncing.

i havent weighed my truck but i do get a measureable difference in vehicle height at the front once the chains are tightened on the hitch so it does shift weight.

Buckrub

Reaction score
Many of my camping buddies have the Anderson for their 5th wheels. I have zero interest in it. Their claim is "It is easy to remove from the bed", as if that is why I buy a 5th wheel hitch.

GMC I had for 7 years had a B&W and it was great. But when I traded it in, the hitch went with it. So I got the best for heavy 5th wheels, the Trailer Saver BD5D. Towed my first time last weekend and I can't tell you which is most responsible, but the towing experience was amazing, compared to the GMC. Hensley makes the best hitches, 5th wheel or Bumper Pull. They sell directly to consumer, though, so word of mouth is about all they do. But wowzers.....what a difference the truck and that hitch made, whichever one is most responsible!!!

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I have almost 7,000 miles on my anderson WD setup, zero issues and no complaints. tow a 35' travel trailer with no sway or bouncing.

i havent weighed my truck but i do get a measureable difference in vehicle height at the front once the chains are tightened on the hitch so it does shift weight.
Good to know - seems that 35' is the longest TT review I can find...

We just got the camper in at the dealer the other day. it is LOOOOOONG, lol. Going to be a much different experience than my old 30' rig. But, for a change, I'll be way under capacity w the truck...

Users who are viewing this thread