Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpha OBD help!!!

texasspartan

Reaction score
Hey yall, I'm new here because I'm running short on getting help on fbook forums. I just bought an AlphaOBD scanner, the SGW bypass from OBDGenie and the AlfaOBD app. First I need clarification on the 4 digit PIN for the truck, what exactly is this pin called?. I think the one my dealer gave me is not working. Secondly, I used the scanner to adjust my tire pressure thresholds and my tire size. After doing that, I turned my truck on and my tpms light was off, but ALL other warning lights AND my speedometer isn't working at all. What do I do? AlphaOBD customer care is zero help. Thanks for any tips!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
OK first, welcome to HDRAMS.

Now, let's clear up right away; it's AlfaOBD.

What year and class truck?

If it's an HD, you bought the wrong bypass. A cable bypass to pug into the CAN bus blocks is recommended. What you have requires you to pull the EVIC to install.

2019+ don't require a PIN for RF hub reset or anything.

There are specific steps to be performed wen changing the tire size. All documented here: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...s-code-mods-and-common-alfaobd-settings.3468/

and here: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...ed-but-with-abs-camera-faults.1449/post-15336

Very good video in that link that's here:

texasspartan

Reaction score
OK first, welcome to HDRAMS.

Now, let's clear up right away; it's AlfaOBD.

What year and class truck?

If it's an HD, you bought the wrong bypass. A cable bypass to pug into the CAN bus blocks is recommended. What you have requires you to pull the EVIC to install.

2019+ don't require a PIN for RF hub reset or anything.

There are specific steps to be performed wen changing the tire size. All documented here: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...s-code-mods-and-common-alfaobd-settings.3468/

and here: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...ed-but-with-abs-camera-faults.1449/post-15336

Very good video in that link that's here:
Yes thank you Alfa but my phone autocorrects because I'm in the Military and I'm too lazy to fix it. Anyways lol thanks for the welcome, I have a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4L, Tradesman with a few upgrades like 8.4inch display, etc. I have the OBD genie that plugs into the SGW module behind the instrument cluster. It allowed me to make changes on the apl, it just screwed everything else up. When I went to do an RF hub reset it asks me for a pin. I put enter the pin my dealer gave me and hit enter and it says it failed or whatever verbiage it uses and says "please wait" at the top. I drove it as well and it says to enter commercial number on my instrument panel and the truck is driving funny. Almost like it wants to stay in gears longer. Thank you for the help as I'm a total newbie at this computer stuff on vehicles.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes thank you Alfa but my phone autocorrects because I'm in the Military and I'm too lazy to fix it. Anyways lol thanks for the welcome, I have a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4L, Tradesman with a few upgrades like 8.4inch display, etc. I have the OBD genie that plugs into the SGW module behind the instrument cluster. It allowed me to make changes on the apl, it just screwed everything else up. When I went to do an RF hub reset it asks me for a pin. I put enter the pin my dealer gave me and hit enter and it says it failed or whatever verbiage it uses and says "please wait" at the top. I drove it as well and it says to enter commercial number on my instrument panel and the truck is driving funny. Almost like it wants to stay in gears longer. Thank you for the help as I'm a total newbie at this computer stuff on vehicles.

Well, thanks for your service. I served 1980-1988.

It didn't screw everything up, you didn't finish the procedures required.

You don't need to do a RF hub reset, that's only for pre-SGW (pre 19) trucks.

Follow the procedures for the ABS Init steps.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Spend a little time figuring out how to use Alfa OBD before making changes.

Make sure you follow the steps to SAVE THE CONFIG before you start making changes.

Make sure you have a google drive account

Read System ID and upload faults and status log to drive

You can also save the BCM config file for recovery if needed. (don't try to read it, it's coded)

texasspartan

Reaction score
Well, thanks for your service. I served 1980-1988.

It didn't screw everything up, you didn't finish the procedures required.

You don't need to do a RF hub reset, that's only for pre-SGW (pre 19) trucks.

Follow the procedures for the ABS Init steps.
Thank you for yours as well Sir. So I tried to follow those instructions for the ABS. However when I get to ABS initialization, it doesn't allow me to press start. The start and stop button are both grey. So I can't go past step 6.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for yours as well Sir. So I tried to follow those instructions for the ABS. However when I get to ABS initialization, it doesn't allow me to press start. The start and stop button are both grey. So I can't go past step 6.

The ABS Init is just a list of steps, it doesn't do anything.

Just follow the steps listed.

Take a screen shot or write them down. Do them in order and the way it's described in the video.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
You have to complete the reset procedures. There are several areas you need to clear/reset.
Been there done that. Once you complete them, everything will clear.

texasspartan

Reaction score
Update, I followed the ABS initialization steps even though some of them didn't do anything or let me choose and it worked. It cleared everything but the check engine light. My speedometer is spot on to GPS and TPMS light is off. So mission accomplished, just need to clear check engine light. Also, is there a way to turn the dumb fuel low signal off? It comes on at like 1/4 of a tank.
Also much thanks to Brutal_HO

Users who are viewing this thread