Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfaobd Hill Descent.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Mine will say it isn't available and stay there for a few seconds if I try to use it not on a hill.
Good info. Do you have a rough guess on how steep the hill has to be? I have the new switch sitting in the garage but haven't installed it yet.

clarkfred

Reaction score
I tried it the other day but didn't have go down a "grade of sufficient magnitude."

Here are the instructions from the manual -

Hill Descent Control (HDC) — If Equipped HDC is intended for low speed off-road driving while in 4WD Low. HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills during various driving situations. HDC controls vehicle speed by actively controlling the brakes.

HDC Has Three States:
1. Off (feature is not enabled and will not activate).
2. Enabled (feature is enabled and ready but activation conditions are not met, or driver is actively overriding with brake or throttle application).
3. Active (feature is enabled and actively controlling vehicle speed).

Enabling HDC
HDC is enabled by pushing the HDC switch, but the following conditions must also be met to enable HDC:
 The driveline is in 4WD Low.
 The vehicle speed is below 5 mph (8 km/h).
 The parking brake is released.
 The driver door is closed.

Activating HDC Once HDC is enabled it will activate automatically if driven down a grade of sufficient magnitude.

The set speed for HDC is selectable by the driver, and can be adjusted by using the gear shift +/-. The following summarizes the HDC set speeds: HDC Target Set Speeds
 P = No set speed. HDC may be enabled but will not activate.
 R = 0.6 mph (1 km/h)
 N = 1.2 mph (2 km/h)
 D = 0.6 mph (1 km/h)
 1st = 0.6 mph (1 km/h)
 2nd = 1.2 mph (2 km/h)
 3rd = 1.8 mph (3 km/h)
 4th = 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
 5th = 3.1 mph (5 km/h) 21_DJD2_OM_EN_USC_t.book
 6th = 3.7 mph (6 km/h)
 7th = 4.3 mph (7 km/h)
 8th = 5.0 mph (8 km/h)
 9th = 5.6 mph (9 km/h) – If Equipped

NOTE: During HDC the +/- shifter input is used for HDC target speed selection, but will not affect the gear chosen by the transmission. When actively controlling HDC the transmission will shift appropriately for the driver-selected set speed and corresponding driving conditions. Driver Override The driver may override HDC activation with throttle or brake application at any time. Deactivating HDC HDC will be deactivated but remain available if any of the following conditions occur:  Driver overrides HDC set speed with throttle or brake application.  Vehicle speed exceeds 20 mph (32 km/h) but remains below 40 mph (64 km/h).  Vehicle is on a downhill grade of insufficient magnitude, is on level ground, or is on an uphill grade.  Vehicle is shifted to PARK. Disabling HDC HDC will be deactivated and disabled if any of the following conditions occur:  The driver pushes the HDC switch.  The driveline is shifted out of 4WD Low.  The parking brake is applied.  The driver door opens.  The vehicle is driven greater than 20 mph (32 km/h) for greater than 70 seconds.  The vehicle is driven greater than 40 mph (64 km/h) (HDC exits immediately).  HDC detects excessive brake temperature. Feedback To The Driver The instrument cluster has an HDC icon and the HDC switch has an LED icon, which offers feedback to the driver about the state HDC is in.  The cluster icon and switch lamp will illuminate and remain on solid when HDC is enabled or activated. This is the normal operating condition for HDC.  The cluster icon and switch lamp will flash for several seconds then extinguish when the driver pushes the HDC switch but enable conditions are not met.  The cluster icon and switch lamp will flash for several seconds then extinguish when HDC disables due to excess speed.  The cluster icon and switch lamp will flash when HDC deactivates due to overheated brakes. The flashing will stop and HDC will activate again once the brakes have cooled sufficiently.

2021 Laramie 6.7 w/Hill Decent

Last edited:

rktjr1

Reaction score
I have an Alfa OBD II MX+. Is there anything else that I need to program my truck? I am wanting to add the hill descent control switch on my truck.
Thanks
Alfa OBD Configuration Process to add (Hill Descent Control) to a (5 GEN) 2021 Ram 2500 6.7
Here are the configurations needed in order to Add Hill Descent Control

Go to Line Item:
VehConfig 1:
Select: Hill Descent Feature Present:
Select: YES

Go to Line Item: VehConfig 8:
Select: HDC Button Location:
Select: HDC Present in TCSM (TCSM would be your selection if your Hill Descent Control button is on the panel where 4x4 is located.)

Go to Line Item: ECUConfig 3:
Select: Hill Descent Switch Feature Present:
Select: YES

Caution: Before making changes the first time you need to make a log of your original configuration. Here is the process to make that log.>

1. Connect Alfa OBD via Bluetooth
2. Select: Ram/Dodge
3. Select: Body Computer
4. Select: My 2021 (Yours may be different depending on the year of your truck)
5. Select: Connect
6. Click on Battery Icon on Alfa OBD App.
7. Select: Read System ID
8. Click on Tools Icon on Alfa OBD App.
9. Select: Upload to Google Drive
10. Select: Sign In
11. Select: Upload Faults and Status Log
12. Select: Body Control Module My 2021 (Yours may be different depending on the year of your truck)

The process to connect and add the Hill Descent Control feature:>
1. Connect Alfa OBD via Bluetooth
2. Select: Ram/Dodge
3. Select: Body Computer
4. Select: My 2021 (Yours may be different depending on the year of your truck)
5. Select: Connect
6. Go to Hood Icon
7. Select: Select procedure to start
8. Select: Car configuration changes

9. Go to Line item: VehConfig 1:
1. Select: Hill Descent Feature Present:
2. Select: YES > Then Select: Start > Then Select Next > Then Select: Start

10. Go to Line item: VehConfig 8:
1. Select: HDC Button Location:
2. Select: HDC Present in TCSM * > Then Select: Start > Then Select Next > Then Select: Start
*(TCSM would be your selection if your Hill Descent Control button is on the panel where 4x4 is located.)

11. Go to line item: ECUConfig 3:
1. Select: Hill Descent Switch Feature Present:
2. Select: YES > Then Select: Start > Then Select Next > Then Select: Start

12. Click on Battery Icon on Alfa OBD App.
13. Select: Read System ID
14. Click on Tools Icon on Alfa OBD App.
15. Select: Upload to Google Drive
16. Select: Sign In
17. Select: Upload Faults and Status Log
18. Select: Body Control Module My 2021 (Yours may be different depending on the year of your truck)
19. Click on Key Icon on Alfa OBD App
20. Select: Disconnect
21. Cycle key on and off for 30 sec.
22. Leave the vehicle for 5 minutes before trying the feature out.

rktjr1

Reaction score
Doh! Just saw need alfa. Trying to stay away from it, had some issues after my purchase and FCA gave me a 7 year warranty and really don't want to do any upset that.
Alfa OBD Configuration Process to add (Hill Descent Control) to a (5 GEN) 2021 Ram 2500 6.7
Probably. VehConfig 8 might be defaulted to not present on some trucks.

My trucks HDC button Location setting was set to not present. After I change this to TCSM hill descent control started working.

Go to Line item: VehConfig 8:
1. Select: HDC Button Location:
2. Select: HDC Present in TCSM * > Then Select: Start > Then Select Next > Then Select: Start

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi brutal, did you ever get it to work? I have a '19 3500 and I get the same error message as you when I try.

No, I haven't.

Apparently I haven't found a big enough/long enough hill to prove it isn't working. IOW, I think this is something akin to the off-road camera hack also not working on 3500 (was it air only?) trucks.

regal2800

Reaction score
No, I haven't.

Apparently I haven't found a big enough/long enough hill to prove it isn't working. IOW, I think this is something akin to the off-road camera hack also not working on 3500 (was it air only?) trucks.
it should at least activate itself on level ground. We can't even get it to activate. it starts and shuts off immediately. That ramp you were on should have been steep enough as well...

2powerwagons

Reaction score
No, I haven't.

It takes a *really* steep hill to be of any use anyway. The hill down from my cabin is very steep and I can engage it on my PW, but as steep as it is, 5mph is literally crawling down that hill. Wish I could set it to 10 mph.

Parkerlouis13

Reaction score
Hoping someone can answer this, I ordered the switch that the OP did before verifying that it would work. Checked in alfaobd and I don't have all the settings needed to enable this. I have a 2019 2500 cummins. Can I even enable this option? Thanks

kpecks

Reaction score
Agree. Just throws a message and goes completely off.
No, I haven't.

Following along to see if this ever gets resolved on a 3500 6.7L rear air truck....

copcarguy

Reaction score
I’m following to see if it works on a ’21 3500 HEMI with manual t-case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread