Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin transmission TEMPS?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My 2022 Ram 3500 SRW with the Aisin hit 217 F today while pulling heavy up a steep dirt road. It typically runs between 163 and 173.

Was it in 2nd gear or higher the whole time?

If the TC is not locked, the temps are going to go up. The transmission cooler is also affected by higher coolant temps.

bigbendrecycle

Reaction score
Was it in 2nd gear or higher the whole time?

If the TC is not locked, the temps are going to go up. The transmission cooler is also affected by higher coolant temps.
I'm pretty sure it was in 2nd. It was also in 4wd. It sounded like the cooling fan was tacked out! Next time on approach I'll manually keep it in second. The coolant was running in low 200s along with the oil. It's the worst conditions for the tranny, slow steep grade and loaded down heavy.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Two or three times a year I tow my 9800lb pull trailer on a 120 mile trip to our dry desert camping spot. The return trip home has an 8 mile 6% grade coming out of the desert into mountains gets to 8% in parts. I put the truck on cruise @ 65 mph and in tow haul. The truck ran consistently in 6th and 5th gear up the grade. The Tranny ran at 163 degrees except topping the grade it hit 167 - amazing! Topping the grade the coolant hit 222 and oil 228 for about 1/8 mile, then quickly down to normals. EGT1 peaked @ 924 degrees.
The truck stayed at 65mph and pulled like the trailer wasn't there, with power to spare.

I am Calibrated tuned. The above data was while running their heavy tow tune (+40hp).

bigbendrecycle

Reaction score
Two or three times a year I tow my 9800lb pull trailer on a 120 mile trip to our dry desert camping spot. The return trip home has an 8 mile 6% grade coming out of the desert into mountains gets to 8% in parts. I put the truck on cruise @ 65 mph and in tow haul. The truck ran consistently in 6th and 5th gear up the grade. The Tranny ran at 163 degrees except topping the grade it hit 167 - amazing! Topping the grade the coolant hit 222 and oil 228 for about 1/8 mile, then quickly down to normals. EGT1 peaked @ 924 degrees.
The truck stayed at 65mph and pulled like the trailer wasn't there, with power to spare.

I am Calibrated tuned. The above data was while running their heavy tow tune (+40hp).
My temps typically range 168-173, and seem to be dependent on outside temps. This hill is especially hard on rigs, I had it in 4wd the whole time towing around 19k GN with equipment. I'm going to be hauling steers tomorrow around ranches and will see what it does.

John Jensen

Reaction score
My temps typically range 168-173, and seem to be dependent on outside temps. This hill is especially hard on rigs, I had it in 4wd the whole time towing around 19k GN with equipment. I'm going to be hauling steers tomorrow around ranches and will see what it does.
The outside temp in my example was in the 80s coming out of the desert and up the grade. You are probably hauling more weight than me, I think your temps are OK

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was in 2nd. It was also in 4wd. It sounded like the cooling fan was tacked out! Next time on approach I'll manually keep it in second. The coolant was running in low 200s along with the oil. It's the worst conditions for the tranny, slow steep grade and loaded down heavy.

At that slow speed up a steep grade, 220F max is not unexpected for a load that big.

You can't prevent a downshift, but if it's shuttling between 2nd and 3rd, it might be best to limit it to 2nd and prevent those shifts that are creating more heat. If you have to go slower, or run in 1st I'd consider using 4-lo or also consider getting a 2-Lo lockout box. The only downside is 4-Lo (or 2-Lo fake) turns off the EB.

With the loads you're running, you may want to look into an aftermarket thermal bypass valve to replace the stocker if you're in a consistently warm climate.

Not sure if this Mishimoto fits 19+ but it has the option to run a bypass or thermostat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread