Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin transmission TEMPS?

GTMF

Reaction score
I have a question; My truck just hit 4.000 miles and i've noticed once in Colorado Denver traffic, my transmission temps went up to 185, Sometimes in traffic on hot days in goes between 167-180? My last truck never did that, Should i be worried?

NordicNevs

Reaction score
You’re fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I just did a 1700 mile trip hauling a 13 k fiver running in all conditions up and down grade and speeds from infer city congestion up to 80 and my asin tranny would not budge off of 165. I was beyond impressed. water temp moved around but tranny was a soldier

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I have a question; My truck just hit 4.000 miles and i've noticed once in Colorado Denver traffic, my transmission temps went up to 185, Sometimes in traffic on hot days in goes between 167-180? My last truck never did that, Should i be worried?

Hi @GTMF - If at any point you do need to work alongside your Ram dealer, we are more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf so that you have an additional layer of support through that process. Our team is always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

GTMF

Reaction score
I just did a 1700 mile trip hauling a 13 k fiver running in all conditions up and down grade and speeds from infer city congestion up to 80 and my asin tranny would not budge off of 165. I was beyond impressed. water temp moved around but tranny was a soldier
yeah that's how it supposed to be, I wasn't even towing and my temps would fluctuate.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Just towed 5ver with 100* + temps, at @ 19-20K GCW. I only saw 171* trans temps. Coolant temps no higher than 212*.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just towed 5ver with 100* + temps, at @ 19-20K GCW. I only saw 171* trans temps. Coolant temps no higher than 212*.
My coolant temps with 13 k fiver fluctuated between 188 and 219 at its peak but that was running 75-80 mph up a steep long grade in utah, but then instantly came back down. Nothing I'm concerned over.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
What was the transmission temperature while pulling that grade.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
As stated in post #4. It stayed on 165 degrees no matter what. Up or down grades snd outdoor temperature got up to 96 one day while pulling. I started wondering if it wad struck on that #. So the next day I checked it first thing when I took off and it wasnt up to temp yet but it got there shortly and never wavered. Rock solid at 165, no matter what, weird i know

GTMF

Reaction score
today it got to 189 again!!! while just sitting in traffic no trailer or anything!

D

Deleted member 80

How long does it have to idle in gear to do this? Have you tried popping into neutral while just sitting for long periods? The torque converter is pretty "tight", and it might build heat just sitting. I had an '04 Chebby with the phony Allison and it was stated in the manual not to let it idle in gear for long periods. That thing would easily be over 200 pretty darn quickly in traffic.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Must not have been big grades. I towed 14k up 8% and hit 188 two days ago 91° ambient

You all do realize that city traffic that is stop and go is hell on a trans and really bad for heat dissipation right.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Must not have been big grades. I towed 14k up 8% and hit 188 two days ago 91° ambient

You all do realize that city traffic that is stop and go is hell on a trans and really bad for heat dissipation right.

Guys, by no means am I suggesting or implying that we ran up through the Rockies into Teton. In saying that, the dtiving we were doing was not normal by any means. I'm not saying we ran the gauntlet, who gets to actually do that right, but for the normal guy from the great smoky mountains in TN, these hills were long and steep on numerous occasions. Again, I wasnt babying it, my obdll reader said i was 100% tq while climbing as I normally run around 80 regardless of hills or traffic, that's how I know what a good vehicle can handle. Again rock solid tranny temp, never budged off of 165, ever, on the steepest longest climb coolant got up to 219 at 100% tq and turbo was around 27 hp.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Guys, by no means am I suggesting or implying that we ran up through the Rockies into Teton. In saying that, the dtiving we were doing was not normal by any means. I'm not saying we ran the gauntlet, who gets to actually do that right, but for the normal guy from the great smoky mountains in TN, these hills were long and steep on numerous occasions. Again, I wasnt babying it, my obdll reader said i was 100% tq while climbing as I normally run around 80 regardless of hills or traffic, that's how I know what a good vehicle can handle. Again rock solid tranny temp, never budged off of 165, ever, on the steepest longest climb coolant got up to 219 at 100% tq and turbo was around 27 hp.

You’re good @Rich I didn’t mean to come across as rude if I did. Oddly enough I was towing through the Rockies (southern) and it was getting warmer similar to OP. I recall stop go traffic my temps creep up. When it comes to the trans and coolant.

OP as long as you’re under 200 you’re ok. 220-230° where ATF starts to break down substantially.

you’re ok. The temperatures are fine and considerably under the warning level

Xflight29

Reaction score
I pulled 17K up a 7% grade, at least that's what the sign said at 70 mph for about 6 miles and never saw anything over 170 degrees. It just kept pulling in the Arizona heat.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
You’re good @Rich I didn’t mean to come across as rude if I did. Oddly enough I was towing through the Rockies (southern) and it was getting warmer similar to OP. I recall stop go traffic my temps creep up. When it comes to the trans and coolant.

OP as long as you’re under 200 you’re ok. 220-230° where ATF starts to break down substantially.

you’re ok. The temperatures are fine and considerably under the warning level

Definitely sound like you were working it harder than I was. All that stop and go with 14 k and through the Rockies, no wonder why she got hot, it wasnt breathing. That's probably why mine hasn't came off of 165, its s whole lot easier on them when your motivating than stop and go, 100%

Nick

Reaction score
My 2014 68 RFE would routinely go over 200 to 220 in stop and go traffic pulling my 14 k 5th wheel thru LA traffic . Never saw a high temp light go on .

bigbendrecycle

Reaction score
My 2022 Ram 3500 SRW with the Aisin hit 217 F today while pulling heavy up a steep dirt road. It typically runs between 163 and 173.

Users who are viewing this thread