Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin transmission fluid change

austinsaltsman1

Reaction score
I’m about to change my transmission fluid and filter for the first time at around 65k miles. I’ve seen a few things here and there about potentially causing more harm than good by going too long before doing the tranny service. I don’t think I’m at the point, but any insight? (3500 HO w/aisin)

RTillery

Reaction score
My tranny has the Mobil 3309 sticker right on the passenger side above the pan. I figure if they put it on the side of the tranny, it's pretty good stuff. I've seen the insides of thousands of engines and I'm a little anal about early oil changes. On my Aisin I drained it thru the appreciated drain plug at 15,000 miles and measured carefully to refill same amount. Dipstick was good. I did it again at 30k and 45K and then did the filter and oil at 60,000. 3309 only again at 90,000. I'm at 94,000 miles and shifting like new.

I get the Mobil 3309 ($6.66 a quart) from Summit Racing or Speedway Motors.

$50 and 30 minutes or so for a drain and fill. At 60K I did the filter. A little more work but not bad with the drain plug. Look on YouTube for a tutorial. There are several. Get the skinny 1/4" drive 10MM maybe with a wobble and extension? A few are in a little bit of a tight spot but not too bad. Look under there and you'll see.

Genos for the gasket $25 but the original is reuseable.
Filter $73 if you are at the 60K or 120K

Your mileage may vary! Good luck.

austinsaltsman1

Reaction score
My tranny has the Mobil 3309 sticker right on the passenger side above the pan. I figure if they put it on the side of the tranny, it's pretty good stuff. I've seen the insides of thousands of engines and I'm a little anal about early oil changes. On my Aisin I drained it thru the appreciated drain plug at 15,000 miles and measured carefully to refill same amount. Dipstick was good. I did it again at 30k and 45K and then did the filter and oil at 60,000. 3309 only again at 90,000. I'm at 94,000 miles and shifting like new.

$50 and 30 minutes or so for a drain and fill. At 60K I did the filter. A little more work but not bad with the drain plug. Look on YouTube for a tutorial. There are several. Get the skinny 1/4" drive 10MM maybe with a wobble and extension? A few are in a little bit of a tight spot but not too bad. Look under there and you'll see.

Thanks for the response, do you put any additives in as well?

RTillery

Reaction score
No additives. In general the OE's don't endorse them and in my experience, frequent changes and fresh fluids are the key to longevity. My old 04 served me for 472,000 miles on the original tranny (NV5600) and I was still on the original power steering pump! I sold it to a friend 5 years ago and he's still driving it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Same as above I'm just not as anal about it and did it at 30k. Took around 5.5 quarts if I remember right. I know I put 6 in and it was overfilled.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

It's easy to get the rear bolts out once they're cracked loose with a piece of 3/8" ID clear PVC vinyl tubing pushed onto the bolt head.

ironmike

Reaction score
It's easy to get the rear bolts out once they're cracked loose with a piece of 3/8" ID clear PVC vinyl tubing pushed onto the bolt head.
I saw this also on another video. I am curious as to why isn't anyone advising to use a 1/4" swivel ? Will it not clear pan to cross member entrance?

Mulely

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with PPE bypass cooler valve & PPE transmission Pan?
I'm looking at that pan but not a bypass yet. If I did a bypass, it would be the mishimoto one that allows me to put the thermostat back in for the cold weather. But I've never seen it get close to anything I'd consider warm let alone hot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at that pan but not a bypass yet. If I did a bypass, it would be the mishimoto one that allows me to put the thermostat back in for the cold weather. But I've never seen it get close to anything I'd consider warm let alone hot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If you have an Aisin, they don't make one for the current AS69RC/RAM cooler line connections.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m about to change my transmission fluid and filter for the first time at around 65k miles. I’ve seen a few things here and there about potentially causing more harm than good by going too long before doing the tranny service. I don’t think I’m at the point, but any insight? (3500 HO w/aisin)

The fluid is a 30K mile service interval, so you may want to look at doing that more often.

All components can be harmed by running fluid too long. One of the reasons the Aisin has a short fluid change interval is that ASRC (T-IV, 3309) is a rather old spec fluid for a current generation transmission. It’s not a synthetic and when worked hard doesn’t last as long. That being said, the fluid is generally good for much more than the short 30K/24 month interval.

It’s a fairly simple process. Drain the pain, remove the pan, replace the filter, replace the pan, add fluid. A typical drain and fill is 7-7.3 quarts, so start there and see where it’s at on the dipstick.

Reactions: CFE

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I used Mobil 3309 @ 30k, I'm almost at 40k now, haven't had a single hiccup with my tranny. Will be doing fluid and a filter @ 60k myself.

RTillery

Reaction score
It would be nice to hear from some folks with "high" mileage AS69RC trannys, maybe some HotShotters?
How many miles?
What fluid have you been running?
Frequency of changes?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Check out gsbrockman on the Cummins Forum

Exactly. Greg is a good dude and does his maintenance intervals by the book. Very few maintenance issues, and lots of miles.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly. Greg is a good dude and does his maintenance intervals by the book. Very few maintenance issues, and lots of miles.
I bought some filters from him, he shipped them out before I could send the payment. Stand up guy.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be nice to hear from some folks with "high" mileage AS69RC trannys, maybe some HotShotters?
How many miles?
What fluid have you been running?
Frequency of changes?
The aforementioned gsbrockman uses mobil 3309

Users who are viewing this thread