Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin PPE Bypass cooler & oil pan....

ironmike

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with PPE thermal bypass cooler valve & PPE transmission Pan? Any insight or recommendations are appreciated!

tchur1

Reaction score
Curious what you’re looking for here, isn’t recommended operating temp on the Aisin like 160-180? Genuinely asking.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I think the Aisin already runs pretty cool compared to the 68 and other auto transmissions I have.

Adam06

Reaction score
I was wondering the same , my old truck 2009 f250 power stroke while tow would hit 235 normal driving about 210 I was told this is normal, over 400,000 Milton it never had any transmission issues

Nick

Reaction score
Your tranny is well within the correct operating temps . My last truck had a 68 RFE and when I towed it really got up there 225 + . I did the thermal bypass because of it . It dropped the temp about 15 degrees when towing . My son owns it now, still running with well over a 100k .

ironmike

Reaction score
Curious what you’re looking for here, isn’t recommended operating temp on the Aisin like 160-180? Genuinely asking.
Same thoughts... But i keep hearing the fail possibilities of the stock bypass, when it locks up, you are screwed... this new bypass won't lock up. & as afar as cooling, Seems cooler may prolong transmission parts & fluid? And as far as towing hard, wouldn't we benefit from the cooling capabilities with more efficient cooling?

tchur1

Reaction score
Same thoughts... But i keep hearing the fail possibilities of the stock bypass, when it locks up, you are screwed... this new bypass won't lock up. & as afar as cooling, Seems cooler may prolong transmission parts & fluid? And as far as towing hard, wouldn't we benefit from the cooling capabilities with more efficient cooling?
Understood. I may be less informed but im unaware of the stock bypass failing on the AISIN. Even when towing and pushing my truck hard i've never seen my trans go above 176*.

I also dont think cooler is always better. If you're running hot and not within the right operating window then yes increased cooling capability makes sense, but cooling below that probably has adverse effects. Just my $.02

Are you seeing your trans often going above 180 and into the 200s?

ironmike

Reaction score
Understood. I may be less informed but im unaware of the stock bypass failing on the AISIN. Even when towing and pushing my truck hard i've never seen my trans go above 176*.

I also dont think cooler is always better. If you're running hot and not within the right operating window then yes increased cooling capability makes sense, but cooling below that probably has adverse effects. Just my $.02

Are you seeing your trans often going above 180 and into the 200s?
100% agree.. yes towing temps I’ve seen go over 225 with 30’ Magic powerboat & vaca gear loaded, through Arizona in summer… not at all comfortable with that. If there’s a way to mitigate, why not.. also same, there should be no reason thermal bypass becoming stuck closed, but this removes that possibility it states. Cheap precautionary insurance.. lol

tchur1

Reaction score
100% agree.. yes towing temps I’ve seen go over 225 with 30’ Magic powerboat & vaca gear loaded, through Arizona in summer… not at all comfortable with that. If there’s a way to mitigate, why not.. also same, there should be no reason thermal bypass becoming stuck closed, but this removes that possibility it states. Cheap precautionary insurance.. lol
Makes sense, that is hot so I dont blame you for seeking out options. Appreciate the insights.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am seeing 160-180 transmission temps with various unloaded uasage. Will i see a dramatic temp drop or what has been the experiences with these upgrades?
Your truck will struggle to use 6th in the winter as temps will be to low to allow it to shift. Thats a product for the desert not anywhere that gets snow

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
You guys that think these trucks need one of these thermal bypass blocks know that that only started using them in hd trucks in 2013 right? So how on earth did the trucks before that ever make it with out one? And for those that think the fluid being too cold causes adverse effects ....do you idle your truck until it reaches 165 to start driving?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Cuz we all live in Canada....you're statement is false ...
You guys that think these trucks need one of these thermal bypass blocks know that that only started using them in hd trucks in 2013 right? So how on earth did the trucks before that ever make it with out one? And for those that think the fluid being too cold causes adverse effects ....do you idle your truck until it reaches 165 to start driving?
Your right the old trucks did not have t stats in the trans and most of the winter we had no OD in the extreme cold…. There are plenty of US states that see cold or are you oblivious to that….

And the statement is true i know a couple of people who had the bypass and then removed them in the winter due to no OD in temps below -20°C

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Your right the old trucks did not have t stats in the trans and most of the winter we had no OD in the extreme cold…. There are plenty of US states that see cold or are you oblivious to that….

And the statement is true i know a couple of people who had the bypass and then removed them in the winter due to no OD in temps below -20°C
Yeah bud....I'm oblivious to cold US states....can you explain which states are cold and which states aren't? As I said before....we don't all live in Canada or Alaska...the bypass works fine for us lower 48 people...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah bud....I'm oblivious to cold US states....can you explain which states are cold and which states aren't? As I said before....we don't all live in Canada or Alaska...the bypass works fine for us lower 48 people...
Really ill explain that to my friend in Minnesota and tell him to put his bypass back it because someone on the internet said the lower 48 cant have the issues he was having……

Users who are viewing this thread