Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin fluid amount?!!

Oneway

Reaction score
Hey all, couple quick questions. Doing the 30,000 mile Aisin transmission fluid drain and refill. For many reasons ended up doing a dead cold drain. Fluid came out nice and clean, but I ended up with close to 12 qts of drained fluid. All the posts I’ve read have the drain and refill quantities around 6-8 qts. Does this seem like a lot? Anyone else do a cold drain and get this much? My plan is like many’s to just put back the amount that came out. Anyways I have to use my wife’s car to go get another gallon since I thought 2 gallons would be plenty!
Also, replace the crush washer every time?

Thanks for any help!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know a cold drain would nearly drain the Aisin's 13.7 qt tranny. Good to know.

From what I've been told, you can reuse the drain plug gasket. If you want to replace it, the gasket part number is 68085955AA, they were $6 from Geno's.

Let us know how it all turns out

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hey all, couple quick questions. Doing the 30,000 mile Aisin transmission fluid drain and refill. For many reasons ended up doing a dead cold drain. Fluid came out nice and clean, but I ended up with close to 12 qts of drained fluid. All the posts I’ve read have the drain and refill quantities around 6-8 qts. Does this seem like a lot? Anyone else do a cold drain and get this much? My plan is like many’s to just put back the amount that came out. Anyways I have to use my wife’s car to go get another gallon since I thought 2 gallons would be plenty!
Also, replace the crush washer every time?

Thanks for any help!
What does your manual say…..

Oneway

Reaction score
My manual doesn’t have much info at all on tranny service, just the type to use and capacity.
I was just surprised that it drained out so much so easily. I have heard others question the warmed up draining because all that fluid has just been recently pumped throughout the transmission. I guess I will end up getting a pretty good fluid swap.
I’m also wondering if I will get CELs. I’ve heard that when you drop the pan and replace the filter upon 1st startup you will get a check engine light and need to cycle the truck on and off quite a few times.

Truckman

Reaction score
I just measure how much is drained and refill that amount, drive to get it hot and check, adjust as necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread