Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Muffler?

ramblinman

Reaction score
I put on a Flowmaster Big Block 2, I like the sound, MDS is same slightly less. Getting a little throater now after breaking with about 1000 miles o it. I left the deresonator on and I like less sound, and the improved flow. Not a fan off loud, internal drone so I would do this again. Also, only other option was mufflex that had 3.5" I/O pipe. Everything else was smaller. My research shows Mufflex was too loud.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
The small muffler is a resonator and is used to "tune" the system for tone and resonance. I've owned 2 2500 trucks with 392s and no resonator. Without the "can," I get no buzz or drone at all. However, the combination of no resonator and the Magnaflow muffler, is "throaty." There is no doubt the exhaust is modified.

The advantages are the truck sounds the way a V8 should sound....throaty. In addition to the. sound, the engine seems more. responsive and it did give me an extra MPG in fuel economy on my older truck. I'm not certain about that on this truck as I installed this one the first week I had it. Removing the resonator also cleans up. the rear of the truck visually. The first thing I notice when I walk up to a gas truck is that ugly can..... I'm certain that it was placed there for space reasons, but my goodness, it is hideous.

Randy M

Reaction score
The small muffler is a resonator and is used to "tune" the system for tone and resonance. I've owned 2 2500 trucks with 392s and no resonator. Without the "can," I get no buzz or drone at all. However, the combination of no resonator and the Magnaflow muffler, is "throaty." There is no doubt the exhaust is modified.

The advantages are the truck sounds the way a V8 should sound....throaty. In addition to the. sound, the engine seems more. responsive and it did give me an extra MPG in fuel economy on my older truck. I'm not certain about that on this truck as I installed this one the first week I had it. Removing the resonator also cleans up. the rear of the truck visually. The first thing I notice when I walk up to a gas truck is that ugly can..... I'm certain that it was placed there for space reasons, but my goodness, it is hideous.

I had a Borla Atak system on my '19 Rebel and a Challenger SRT8 so I do like it to be a bit loud, but without drone. Sounds like I would have to get the main Magnaflow muffler and remove the resonator? The problem I have with doing this is that I have a PW and don't want a chrome tip. Thinking about scuffing up the stock pipe and painting it a matte black.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a Borla Atak system on my '19 Rebel and a Challenger SRT8 so I do like it to be a bit loud, but without drone. Sounds like I would have to get the main Magnaflow muffler and remove the resonator? The problem I have with doing this is that I have a PW and don't want a chrome tip. Thinking about scuffing up the stock pipe and painting it a matte black.

When the shop did mine, they used a section of straight pipe to fill the gap made by the loss of the resonator. It now looks just as stock as the day it was new. No chrome, but rather the stock exhaust, which is a bit shiny.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Revisiting this thread it looks like Magnaflow has three different options. Since I have a PW I'm wondering if I get just the D-Fit muffler replacement and keep back half with the small muffler if that may be the way to go? Not really sure what the smaller muffler closer to the exit pipe is there for, and how it interacts with the main larger muffler further upstream.

https://www.magnaflow.com/collections/exhaust-system

I hacked my 2016 exhaust with a magnaflow. Kept the resonator. The truck sounds awesome. That direct fit muffler will be much louder than my current set up. I'm debating on this exact set up with resonator. I found these 2019s to be alot throatier than the previous years. I have a CAI from my 2016. I'm 70% sure it will fit but I'm pretty sure theirs a ram air tube now which obviously wasnt there 2016. May have to modify my intake to accomadate. I spent alot of money on this biatch so.... I'm willing.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
The smaller one is a resonator, the larger one is the muffler.

Cely1932

Reaction score
I installed a Solo Muffler Delete pipe that I got from getexhaust.com last night. The fit of the pipe was excellent. I had 40 minutes in the whole project. The sound is just what I was looking for. Sounds very similar to the Hellcat, believe it or not. I did leave the ugly resonator on for now until I can evaluate the sound over different driving conditions. IMG_4612.JPGIMG_4614.JPG

Randy M

Reaction score
I installed a Solo Muffler Delete pipe that I got from getexhaust.com last night. The fit of the pipe was excellent. I had 40 minutes in the whole project. The sound is just what I was looking for. Sounds very similar to the Hellcat, believe it or not. I did leave the ugly resonator on for now until I can evaluate the sound over different driving conditions. View attachment 1780View attachment 1781

Please let us know about the drone if there is any.

Cely1932

Reaction score
So you're asking me to keep the stereo turned down for a while.........Maybe I should listen to an audio book for a week or so:p

tpk0999

Reaction score
I installed a Solo Muffler Delete pipe that I got from getexhaust.com last night. The fit of the pipe was excellent. I had 40 minutes in the whole project. The sound is just what I was looking for. Sounds very similar to the Hellcat, believe it or not. I did leave the ugly resonator on for now until I can evaluate the sound over different driving conditions. View attachment 1780View attachment 1781
Hows the sound in the cabin
So you're asking me to keep the stereo turned down for a while.........Maybe I should listen to an audio book for a week or so:p
Hows it sound in the cabin. I need fo hear my exhaust on the inside. No one has mentioned what it sounds like from the inside. I'm looking at the direct fit from magnaflow

Randy M

Reaction score
Sound inside the cabin is fine for me. The Borla Atak on my old Rebel was loud, but it did not drone.

Cely1932

Reaction score
The sound in the cabin is directly proportional to how heavy my foot is. You are aware of the throaty sound just cruising thru town, but it is not loud at all. I will pay attention to any drone I may or may not hear and report back. Put your foot in it and you can definitely hear it. I was surprised how mild it can be just cruising along. Sound outside the cab, standing near the pipe is significantly louder than the stock set-up. To me, it really sounds awesome!

tpk0999

Reaction score
The sound in the cabin is directly proportional to how heavy my foot is. You are aware of the throaty sound just cruising thru town, but it is not loud at all. I will pay attention to any drone I may or may not hear and report back. Put your foot in it and you can definitely hear it. I was surprised how mild it can be just cruising along. Sound outside the cab, standing near the pipe is significantly louder than the stock set-up. To me, it really sounds awesome!
They did too good of a job sound proofing these trucks it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread