Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket Muffler?

MikeStang

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 Gas burner here.
Has anyone swapped out the enormous muffler on one of these beasts yet?
Would like a direct fit muffler if anyone has suggestions?
Also what about the big ass resonator at the end by the exhaust tip, do you remove or leave that thing?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I think @hutchman may have swapped out his muffler.... I'm considering contacting B2 Fabrication to see if they can come up with something

B2 Fabrication

MikeStang

Reaction score
Keep me informed, bc I really dont want to go let a muffler shop hack and slash my exhaust, would much rather a bolt on deal I can do at home

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a Magnaflow installed and the resonator removed. The Magnaflow is a straight through style muffler and it is loud without the resonator. The noise level is OK for now, but if I tow in the future, I might look for something less throaty!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
B2 Fabrication does not have anything for the 2500s...

I sent a message to Mufflex to see which Magnaflow muffler they use.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Looks like the OEM muffler is simply clamped on either end so it should be a simple operation to replace... getting the new hangers on would be the 'issue'...

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, the Magnaflow on mine is "throaty." My fear is that when towing, it might be too "throaty!"

Just be aware...

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Which one did you get? The 14" version?

huff2462

Reaction score
I have an 18" Magnaflow 12278 (not Mufflex) on my '13 1500 with the 5.7l. It sounds great, and not obnoxiously loud at all (though my wife would disagree). I don't plan to add one to my 2500 when it comes.

For what it's worth, the Mufflex are designed to be a simple DIY install in a driveway (no welding or cutting) BUT... they're more prone to rusting than the standalone Magnaflow mufflers since the Mufflex's don't get the same coating from the factory.

I ended up saving money ordering the muffler and paying a shop to install it.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mufflex uses the 14" Magnaflow 4" ROUND STRAIGHT THROUGH exhaust.

It looks like Mufflex is the only game in town... I am not aware of any other vendor selling a 'bolt on' exhaust...

Just noticed this.....mine is oval, center in/offset out. It's the same one I had on my 2016, which I toughtbordered on being too loud also. But, in addition to the muffler, I had the resonator removed too. That probably has some effect on mine being somewhat loud.

But loud is certainly subjective and what is loud to me might not be to you.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the muffler I put on my 2016:

However, on my new one, the muffler shop installed one and I'm not certain how long it is thinking back. If my back allows, I'll measure it tonight.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
This is the muffler I put on my 2016:

However, on my new one, the muffler shop installed one and I'm not certain how long it is thinking back. If my back allows, I'll measure it tonight.

For what it is worth, the body length on the one from Amazon is 22"... so maybe a little deeper/louder than stock, but not terribly loud.

D

Deleted member 80

The resonator helps with the helicopter drone when MDS is active. Plus, if you do much heavy towing you will quickly get tired of the noise IMHO.(says the grumpy old man)

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
For what it is worth, the body length on the one from Amazon is 22"... so maybe a little deeper/louder than stock, but not terribly loud.

Yes it is, and I remember that one being a bit loud. I need to measure mine because I can't be certain on the length. I do think this one is louder however. But I do know they are 3.5" in/out. The muffler shop that installed the one I have now had to order one.

I'm going to the Tri Cities tomorrow to try and buy a new car, so maybe tomorrow evening I can get it measured.

plum%20crazy%20sp-X2.jpg

Should be an interesting day!

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I traded, but don't have it yet. I'll start a new thread when it arrives!

KB RAM

Reaction score
the maganflow website says they have a direct fit muffler coming out soon. I'm picking up my truck this weekend, I'll most likely buy a large magnaflow muffler and make it fit.

Randy M

Reaction score
Revisiting this thread it looks like Magnaflow has three different options. Since I have a PW I'm wondering if I get just the D-Fit muffler replacement and keep back half with the small muffler if that may be the way to go? Not really sure what the smaller muffler closer to the exit pipe is there for, and how it interacts with the main larger muffler further upstream.

https://www.magnaflow.com/collections/exhaust-system

Users who are viewing this thread