Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AEV ProCal Snap Not Compatible with 2023's?

Shocktrooper392

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or under one of the 4.5 Gen Forums for modification, but I installed the AEV ProCal Snap this past Saturday when I did my tires but could not get it to pair to the truck.

I double checked to make sure the pins were inserted in the correct ports on the OBDII connector (1 & 9) and plugged the other end into the correct star connector (star connector with 2 rows).
When I went to pair the ProCal Snap to the truck, it flashes green like it is ready to pair and the dash shows the flashing brake light; however when I press the brake pedal and the cruise control ON/OFF button (for 3 seconds or more) it does not pair and does not do the triple horn honk. I have no other flashing colors from the Snap besides flashing green (ready to pair indicator).
On Sunday I pulled the OBDII plug again to triple check my pins were inserted right, they are. I pulled the other end from the star connector and tried a different port on the star connector - unfortunately I have the same result.

Inked20230305_134909.jpg

Inked20230305_134848.jpg

I understand the listing for the ProCal Snap specifies 2019-2022, however I assumed it would still work for a 2023 as it seemed the only changes for the new model year was the new hood and digital instrument cluster... Something I didn't consider is that the 2023s have the new steering wheel design and the buttons are different for cruise. Could this be the issue?
The harness is still installed in the truck and has not caused any drivability issues or lights on the instrument cluster.

I submitted a tech support case on AEV's website on Sunday night, however I haven't gotten a response yet. I figured I'd wait until Friday and if I don't hear anything back by then I'll just give them a call Friday morning.

jadmt

Reaction score
give AEV a call and let them try and walk you through it. I know they won't list that it works on a 2023 unless they actually have tried it.

Shocktrooper392

Reaction score
AEV got back to me today on the Snap compatibility with 2023's.

"Unfortunately it looks like our Snap tuner isn't compatible with the 2023 RAM at this time.

We can go one of two ways, have you hang on to the current snap and when our updated one releases we can swap them out with a prepaid shipping label. Method 2 we can return the current Snap and refund the purchase and when the compatible units are released, you can reassess then.
"

I'm just gonna return it since it won't pair and it's of no use to me at the moment. Kind of a shame there's no USB port to the Snap tuner where they could just do a downloadable software update for 2023s.
Guess I'll update this thread once the 2023 compatible Snap becomes available and I can try it out.

areuriding

Reaction score
Well you answered a question I had about it working on a 2023. I had asked CJC Off road and they said it should. I have a ton of stuff in my cart with them I’m waiting to purchase when my PW comes in. That was one of them. I guess I have to remove it from my cart until it available. Question, would the dealership scan tool be able to make adjustments for tire size and tire pressure adjustment?? I’d also like to disable the cylinder shut down.

uplander

Reaction score
Well you answered a question I had about it working on a 2023. I had asked CJC Off road and they said it should. I have a ton of stuff in my cart with them I’m waiting to purchase when my PW comes in. That was one of them. I guess I have to remove it from my cart until it available. Question, would the dealership scan tool be able to make adjustments for tire size and tire pressure adjustment?? I’d also like to disable the cylinder shut down.
We do have the ability to change tire size on Wranglers. I haven’t looked into the Ram but I can. It’s a weird process that involves purchasing a service contract of sorts. ItS purchased by new tire size and allows us to flash that one tire size into the vehicle. So for long term it’s never seemed practical Since it’s one size. Therefore our store doesn't use this unless it’s a last resort.

Since I am in the same boat as you I plan to look into it. I was about to mount up my 37’s and install them tommow having assumed the procal would work. We’re also an AEV Dealer so I’ll call them to see what they say. prior to the SNAP we used their procal in conjunction with our scan tools so that may also be an option.

areuriding

Reaction score
Yeah its really weird, I was hoping a dealer scan tool could do everything I wanted. I’ll be adding proper wheels with proper backspacing with 37’s along with the Carli PinTop system. Was hoping to also disable the MDS to save on wear of engine internals. Hopefully someone is working on that.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
AlfaOBD can do it on the 2023’s. Then you also have a powerful scan tool, and not just a one trick pony tire size changer.

uplander

Reaction score
AlfaOBD can do it on the 2023’s. Then you also have a powerful scan tool, and not just a one trick pony tire size changer.
Have you tested it? I contacted last week and they said they were testing it on the 2023 And could confirm it worked yet.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Have you tested it? I contacted last week and they said they were testing it on the 2023 And could confirm it worked yet.
Multiple people are now successfully using it on 2023’s. Once you get it, you just need to make a debug log to send to the developer, and he will send you a patch version to use in the meantime until he releases the next big update.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’ve been using it on a ‘23 since about 2 days after I picked it up. Works great once you do what Jimmy said above.

UintaWGN

Reaction score
Does anybody have an update as to when AEV will have a procal snap available for the 2023 Ram HD's? I am also taking delivery of a 23' PW soon and will be swapping my current 37's and AEV wheels from my 17' PW when it arrives. I really don't want to deal with the TPMS light going off in addition to tuning for the larger tires...

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Does anybody have an update as to when AEV will have a procal snap available for the 2023 Ram HD's? I am also taking delivery of a 23' PW soon and will be swapping my current 37's and AEV wheels from my 17' PW when it arrives. I really don't want to deal with the TPMS light going off in addition to tuning for the larger tires...
Just get AlfaOBD. It’s cheaper, it’s already updated for 2023, and it’s not a one trick pony like the procal.

Bcool1

Reaction score
Is there a tutorial on how to use the alfaobd? Where and what do I need to order to use it?

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I would
Is there a tutorial on how to use the alfaobd? Where and what do I need to order to use it?
I would be interested as well. Single use cases seem to get dropped or mentioned in multiple threads, but I haven't seen a sticky or anything like that on it.

Krycek

Reaction score
I’ve been using it on a ‘23 since about 2 days after I picked it up. Works great once you do what Jimmy said above.
What bypass harness did you end up using? I'm in a bit of an odd boat, took delivery of a factory Prospector XL and since the ProCal Snap doesn't work with 2023(yet), they did not include it. However, I do have the bypass harness but it does not like the most recent AlfaOBD or JScan app.

jsalbre

Reaction score
What bypass harness did you end up using? I'm in a bit of an odd boat, took delivery of a factory Prospector XL and since the ProCal Snap doesn't work with 2023(yet), they did not include it. However, I do have the bypass harness but it does not like the most recent AlfaOBD or JScan app.
I’m using a KAODTech bypass harness I got a few years back for my 2020.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
What bypass are you using? If you are using the aev procal type bypass that has you insert wires into positions 1&9, then it won’t work as a bypass for anything other than the procal snap.

Krycek

Reaction score
What bypass are you using? If you are using the aev procal type bypass that has you insert wires into positions 1&9, then it won’t work as a bypass for anything other than the procal snap.
That explains a lot. I have a KAODtech in the mail, hopefully that fixes things.

Users who are viewing this thread