Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjusting blind spot monitoring for short trailer?

areasonablestart

Reaction score
Haven't been able to find info on this anywhere, maybe someone here can help. I have a truck camper that hangs 2ft off the rear bumper and plugs in like a trailer. When I plug in, after I start the truck, I get an alert that blind spot monitoring has automatically adjusted and sensed my trailer length. It sensed it as 20ft long so I now get the blind spot light turning on based on that. However I only hang back 2ft. In the car settings, I see an option to always use the maximum 39.5ft trailer length, or to auto sense, but no way to manually set it.

Is there no shorter option? I know people often pull trailers much shorter than 20ft, so this seems like an odd minimum value to me. Alternatively, I would also welcome a way to just turn off the adjustment entirely, since the truck length is much closer to accurate for my situation

Darkside

Reaction score
Haven't been able to find info on this anywhere, maybe someone here can help. I have a truck camper that hangs 2ft off the rear bumper and plugs in like a trailer. When I plug in, after I start the truck, I get an alert that blind spot monitoring has automatically adjusted and sensed my trailer length. It sensed it as 20ft long so I now get the blind spot light turning on based on that. However I only hang back 2ft. In the car settings, I see an option to always use the maximum 39.5ft trailer length, or to auto sense, but no way to manually set it.

Is there no shorter option? I know people often pull trailers much shorter than 20ft, so this seems like an odd minimum value to me. Alternatively, I would also welcome a way to just turn off the adjustment entirely, since the truck length is much closer to accurate for my situation
I think 20’ is the minimum, I had my 5’x8’ and my 14’ dump trailer both register as 20’. Not sure if there’s a way to turn it off, but it sounds like you would be better off if the trailer blind spot wasn’t on.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
detection lengths/settings are

up to 10 (10)
10-20' (20)
20-30 (30)
30-39.5 (Max)

It's auto, or max, or GN (disabled)

Set the "trailer" as a GN/fifth wheel and when given the option choose that. It should remember/save it. GN/fifth wheel selection disables BSM entirely.

Trailer merge assist is part of BSM so if you set it to GN BSM is going to be disabled entirely.

Disabling Trailer merge assist also disables rear cross path detection.

Last edited:

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Would using a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter defeat the auto-sensing trailer length issue?

I would think in the OP's situation, the best setup would be to have BSM operable, but doing so with the assumption that it is just the truck.

jerome32

Reaction score
So I have a similar question with my hitch installed a 2 inch drop hitch. The backup warning goes of constantly. I don’t want to disable it but is there a fix?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Would using a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter defeat the auto-sensing trailer length issue?

I would think in the OP's situation, the best setup would be to have BSM operable, but doing so with the assumption that it is just the truck.

It didn't when I plugged in my ATV trailer.

The OM says "with trailer brakes" but we've determined that to be a lie.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So I have a similar question with my hitch installed a 2 inch drop hitch. The backup warning goes of constantly. I don’t want to disable it but is there a fix?
Dont leave the hitch in thats about it

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score

Wmhjr

Reaction score

Do you mean when you're driving around with the hitch in your receiver but no trailer hooked up? Here in PA that's illegal, as well as in MD and VA. There are a lot of debates about whether it potentially causes more damage if you're rear ended or protects you. There are definitely cases where it caused the frame to bend.

Jarred

Reaction score
Do you mean when you're driving around with the hitch in your receiver but no trailer hooked up? Here in PA that's illegal, as well as in MD and VA. There are a lot of debates about whether it potentially causes more damage if you're rear ended or protects you. There are definitely cases where it caused the frame to bend.
I don't believe this and also live in PA. Do you have a source for this law? Did a quick google search and couldn't find anything other than not obstructing the license plate or extending 4 feet past the bumper requiring a red marker. I keep mine installed all the time because I'm lazy.

jerome32

Reaction score
Well I tow a lot so it’s staying in. Thanks for the help

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I don't believe this and also live in PA. Do you have a source for this law? Did a quick google search and couldn't find anything other than not obstructing the license plate or extending 4 feet past the bumper requiring a red marker. I keep mine installed all the time because I'm lazy.

Well, here's the problem. Here in PA, finding the statutes is hard as heck. Just like getting information on the "non-commercial CDL" requirement. That being said, I personally know of two instances of fines being levied for this. I'll take a look myself but bluntly it's not worth thinking about for me. I need no red flags driving around asking to be pulled over, and then to have to argue with a magistrate.

areasonablestart

Reaction score
detection lengths/settings are

up to 10 (10)
10-20' (20)
20-30 (30)
30-39.5 (Max)
The 10 option would be significantly more helpful, but it always auto-detects as 20. Anybody know what it's using to get the distance? Is it using information from the 7pin somehow or just using the sensors to "eyeball" what's behind you, and maybe getting confused because it sees nothing for me?

Yes, that's the setup I really want, ideally. Operable BSM as if I don't have a 7pin plugged in at all.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
That’s interesting. What is the justification for it being “illegal”. Perfectly legal where I travel as it is part of the truck. I suppose they have a law that says you can’t leave your tailgate down? What about wing windows, can you leave them open? Bull bumpers? What’s up with these commi states?

Wmhjr

Reaction score
That’s interesting. What is the justification for it being “illegal”. Perfectly legal where I travel as it is part of the truck. I suppose they have a law that says you can’t leave your tailgate down? What about wing windows, can you leave them open? Bull bumpers? What’s up with these commi states?

Yeah, there's a lot that I don't agree with either. Enforcement in a lot depends on the local area.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The 10 option would be significantly more helpful, but it always auto-detects as 20. Anybody know what it's using to get the distance? Is it using information from the 7pin somehow or just using the sensors to "eyeball" what's behind you, and maybe getting confused because it sees nothing for me?
The BSM radar in the taillights are detecting the trailer length on the first few turns.

Your camper width is probably what's causing it to detect longer.

It didn't when I plugged in my ATV trailer.

The OM says "with trailer brakes" but we've determined that to be a lie.

Yes, that's the setup I really want, ideally. Operable BSM as if I don't have a 7pin plugged in at all.

It still detects a trailer with a 4-pin adapter. I'm assuming it does the same with a 4-flat truck plug setup (I have the aux cameras)

Have you tried deselecting (use this trailer no) in the UConnect? Whether you can or not, you should also have it set to a light trailer with no brakes.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Way off topic for the thread, but based on multiple other threads regarding that subject, this seems to be your answer - https://www.ranchhand.com/universal-accessory-uscbp.html
I use those. I put one on the sensors on either side of the adjustable hitch, and they work great. Those two sensors being disabled hasn't impaired backing ability at all. I keep the hitch in place to keep the parking lot idiots from banging the rear of my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread