Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding new tires to TPMS with AlfaOBD? 2020 Ram 3500

heavyg603

Reaction score
I just took delivery of some new tires and wheels from Tire Rack (with TPMS sensors installed, mounted & balanced). My local garage had a very old programmer and it couldn’t connect to the truck. According to Tire Rack all we need to do is make it “relearn “ the new sensors. Can I do this to the Ram with AlfaOBD? Trying to avoid giving the dealer more of my money. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

heavyg603

Reaction score
Yup, that’s what I thought too. Took 2 30 minute drives over 2 days, no dice. Tire Rack is telling me the truck has be be told to “relearn “ with a programmer.

Jaredbwilson

Reaction score
Just installed new wheels and tires on mine with new tpms sensors and it picked them up instantly. They probably installed universal sensors and didn't program id numbers into them

heavyg603

Reaction score
Just installed new wheels and tires on mine with new tpms sensors and it picked them up instantly. They probably installed universal sensors and didn't program id numbers into them

Well that would make sense. I’ll ask what they do when I call them back Monday.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I think some have been doing an RF hub reset. Don't quote me on that because that's a thing (using a PIN) that was generally only done on pre 18 trucks.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I just took delivery of some new tires and wheels from Tire Rack (with TPMS sensors installed, mounted & balanced). My local garage had a very old programmer and it couldn’t connect to the truck. According to Tire Rack all we need to do is make it “relearn “ the new sensors. Can I do this to the Ram with AlfaOBD? Trying to avoid giving the dealer more of my money. Thanks in advance!

You can try running the sensor rolls test while connected to the rf hub with AlfaOBD while driving.

heavyg603

Reaction score
You can try running the sensor rolls test while connected to the rf hub with AlfaOBD while driving.

No joy on the Rolls Test. Message back was Pressure sensor, Front Left:Not Detected

Got this for each one.

However I saw the option for “Program Sensor ID” so I said hey what the hell. Well that worked instantly for 3 of the 4 sensors. Unfortunately the Left Front one isn’t reading at all. Tried reentering the ID a few times, still no luck. Even tried the sensor rolls test a few times. Wondering if that new sensor is bad ?

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Just had to replace a rim/tire/TPMS on my '21.
My shop guy said he had the universal ones but since the truck was new, he would get the OEM sensor as it was basically the same cost.
Installed it all, et pressure and he took it for a drive after redoing the alignment.

Truck picked up the sensor right away.

heavyg603

Reaction score
Just had to replace a rim/tire/TPMS on my '21.
My shop guy said he had the universal ones but since the truck was new, he would get the OEM sensor as it was basically the same cost.
Installed it all, et pressure and he took it for a drive after redoing the alignment.

Truck picked up the sensor right away.

I was able to get 3 of 4 to pick up with AlfaOBD and entering the IDs. These apparently are TRW ones (after badgering Tire Rack). Between my issues with the sensors and the Vector rim centers I can’t get to stay on I’m less of a fan of these guys than I used to be.

heavyg603

Reaction score
I think some have been doing an RF hub reset. Don't quote me on that because that's a thing (using a PIN) that was generally only done on pre 18 trucks.

Would this mess up remote programming, etc?

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I was able to get 3 of 4 to pick up with AlfaOBD and entering the IDs. These apparently are TRW ones (after badgering Tire Rack). Between my issues with the sensors and the Vector rim centers I can’t get to stay on I’m less of a fan of these guys than I used to be.

May have a bad sensor then.

heavyg603

Reaction score
I’m starting to suspect that. Going to call TireRack Monday and ask them to send one.

This is like the saga that won’t go away. Come to find out the wheels they sold me were defective (in another thread) so they sent me 4 new ones and a replacement sensor. You’d think that would do it once I program in the new ID right ? Nope. Still won’t consistently read.
@Jimmy07 Is it possible there is something wrong with the radio hub preventing it from reading the one LF sensor?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to recall someone reading and clearing codes on one of the modules when they were having sensor read issues? RF Hub?

(now Jimmy will come along and show what a dumbass I am by correcting me...) LOL

Users who are viewing this thread