Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive Steering System - Adjustment

chumes

Reaction score
I have a 2020 2500 Diesel Crew 4x4 with Adaptive Steering. While I like the ease with which the truck steers compared to my 2015 Ram 1500 the steering is much looser at highway speeds. The 1500 was solid at highway speeds, no adjustments required to keep it running straight. With the 2020 2500 I find it more difficult to keep the truck running in a straight line as any steering wheel movement requires counter adjustment.

Anyone know if this steering system can be adjusted or "tightened" a bit?

Frank

Reaction score
I have the same truck and came from a 2019 1500. I'm not sure the two things are related. The adaptive steering keeps you in the lane, not straight. It nudges the steering wheel if you start to get on the lines and feels like you are riding a curb that won't let you go further without doing it on purpose. Are you having the issue only when the adaptive steering icon turns yellow and activates? Do you have the issue if you turn off adaptive steering? I personally love the feature.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Adaptive steering has nothing to do with lane assistance.
It makes the truck Steering effortless while moving at very low speeds and tightens up the faster you go.

Last edited:

Frank

Reaction score
Adaptive steering has nothing to do with lane assistance.
It makes the truck Sterling effortless while moving at very low speeds and tightens up the faster you go.

Huh. Never noticed it but I do have that option.

chumes

Reaction score
Right and it's not tightening as much as I would expect. Feels more like my old '88 F250 on the highway than the 2015 1500 I had. I'll take a look at the AlfaOBD settings but am a little leery messing with that. Brutal_HO, have you adjusted any of those settings?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Right and it's not tightening as much as I would expect. Feels more like my old '88 F250 on the highway than the 2015 1500 I had. I'll take a look at the AlfaOBD settings but am a little leery messing with that. Brutal_HO, have you adjusted any of those settings?

I have not, too skeered to.

CTF2019

Reaction score
@chumes

Keep in mind, the new trucks with adaptive steering still utilize a steering box.

The Ram 1500 uses a steering rack like my 3rd gen 2WD. There is a huge difference in feel between the two systems, and you will never get that tight rack and pinion feel on a box.

saltman

Reaction score
Definitely post up some details on those settings if you don’t mind, I too am curious what parameters are adjustable. Is it in code or plain with what you’re using?

Smittydog27

Reaction score
Question on the Adaptive Steering.....is it that much better than the standard steering? Can you explain what/how it feels?
And, would anyone know if it is something that is worth adding (or can it be added) to 2020 2500? *(or is it just a rabbit hole).

I traded my 2014 and the new 2020 standard steering is waaay better

just curious

Xflight29

Reaction score
Question on the Adaptive Steering.....is it that much better than the standard steering? Can you explain what/how it feels?
And, would anyone know if it is something that is worth adding (or can it be added) to 2020 2500? *(or is it just a rabbit hole).

just curious
I didn't even know I had it until I started driving and said wow the steering is effortless and noticed on my build sheet it was their. I prefer it now compared to my 16 Ram.

saltman

Reaction score

just curious
For now it will not be something that can be added easily, very big and expensive hardware difference between the trucks that have it and those that don’t. The sad thing a lot of people don’t realize is, it’s only a $400 stand alone option in Laramie up trims. Anything below Laramie it has to be added with the very expensive safety package. It is the sole reason I came back to ram from ford this year. Forget the whole “adaptive” part, what it gets you is a true electro hydraulic setup like all the ford’s now have XLT and up. Makes driving these big heavy trucks effortless in tight areas, parking, maneuvering trailers etc

saltman

Reaction score
Safety package on a bighorn or tradesman is considerably more, guessing you’re Laramie or above?

Ostracize

Reaction score
I have a 2020 2500 Diesel Crew 4x4 with Adaptive Steering. While I like the ease with which the truck steers compared to my 2015 Ram 1500 the steering is much looser at highway speeds. The 1500 was solid at highway speeds, no adjustments required to keep it running straight. With the 2020 2500 I find it more difficult to keep the truck running in a straight line as any steering wheel movement requires counter adjustment.

Anyone know if this steering system can be adjusted or "tightened" a bit?
I'd caution against assuming what you're experiencing is not simply an alignment issue.

saltman

Reaction score
What the op is asking about is definitely a little noticeable with the adaptive electro hydraulic system, the torque overlay from the SAM (steering assist module) can take a little getting used to at highway speeds. I’ll happily take the slow speed enhanced feel any day even if I lose a little hwy feedback

Millmutt

Reaction score
The steering does take some getting use to but so does the entire truck. If you have Lane Sensing you may want to turn it off for a while and give it a go. The Lane Sense is not overbearing but it is noticeable.

Smittydog27

Reaction score
The steering does take some getting use to but so does the entire truck. If you have Lane Sensing you may want to turn it off for a while and give it a go. The Lane Sense is not overbearing but it is noticeable.
We have lane sense in our Jeep. Don’t care for it. When wife drives on highway and a semi comes in her lane, she swerves to avoid it, but lane sense tries to put her back in lane=dangerous.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
We have lane sense in our Jeep. Don’t care for it. When wife drives on highway and a semi comes in her lane, she swerves to avoid it, but lane sense tries to put her back in lane=dangerous.

It should be adjustable just like the Ram no?

I keep mine turned to the lowest setting.

Users who are viewing this thread