Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ac blowing from the defrost in all modes...

Albert193500

Reaction score
So, this morning it started to come back out of the defrost vents while in vent mode. After moving the doors for the 10 minute drive to work it slowed down the volume out of the defrost. So I will be heading back to the dealership.

My question is for @RamCares .. I see you reach out to everyone regarding squeaks and rattles but why have you not reached out to me? I'm not downplaying the NVH concerns but this is a visibility concern, safety related.

Albert193500

Reaction score
Here is my update from today's visit 9/25/19

I brought it in there for the air not getting cold yesterday as instructed by the service department. They showed me a picture of the temperature at 44.9 degrees after an evacuation and recharge of the freon. When I picked up my truck I felt the air coming from the vents to be cool, not cold. I used my calibrated thermometer and could not get the air below 56 degrees sitting still. When moving at about 40 mph the air got to 60 degrees. I am getting a little frustrated since I have been to them everyday this week and now I need to go back tomorrow. This is costing me time and money. In addition I have not heard from my case manager all week. I have only had this truck for a few weeks and I have been to the dealership 3 times for the same reasons, air temperature and air flow in the HVAC system. @RamCares
I have purchased a new thermometer and am matching the results. This is the temp with ambient temp at 79 degrees. Worth mentioning is that the ambient temperature doesn't matter,
100 degrees > 54*
79 degrees >56*.

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update from today's visit 9/26/19

I took time off work again to go to the dealer to prove the obvious. As I have stated before I am a technician myself and have been for some time (20 + years ). After explaining that the temps are in the high 50's, they blamed my thermometer lol, saying it's old and low tech (see pics below). So I challenged them and their thermometer and won. I then had the attention of the Director and the technician who worked on my truck. I chose to explain in detail where I believe the issue is and also to shred that BS statement " operating as designed, confirmed by 10 other trucks on the lot". In short, if recalls in general affect hundreds of thousands then at one point they were all on the lot together. I stated that that statement holds true the other way in my favor as well, if they all do it then they are all broken and defective, correct? I further explained that is it was a design element then it should be only on heat, as heat will not cause condensation to build. They changed their statement to me to " operating as manufactured. So I have yet another appointment on Monday to have the air temp issue looked into. I also used their recalibration attempt to explain that after it was done multiple times in a row it was good for a day, providing it is a defect. Hopefully this will point them in a direction to come with a fix.

Also worth noting is the technicians do not have adequate software to find / confirm the problem. On my 2012 Acadia Denali I am able to control the actuators in 10% increments to verify this type of concern. I asked the technician if he was able to do this and he said no, he can only command a test cycle and the software will dictate if it passes or fails. As a technician this is a crappy way of diagnosing issues. The tech said FCA has that power but it's not available to them as of yet.

Attachments

• 20190925_170333.jpg
    20190925_170333.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 32

robertjone336

Reaction score
I have the same truck in Dubai, its manufacturered by Dubai company but having the same issue now tell me can I follow the same procedure.

Last edited:

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update 10/2/19

My truck has been there since Monday. After 2 days with FCA techline they decided that they are going to replace the entire HVAC box assembly. I am ok with this as I am hopeful that this will fix both issues, the defrost and air temp.
I was very explicit on the squeaks and rattles. I explained that there are none now and I do not want any when I get the truck back. I advised them to drive it before they touch one bolt.
Now I wait, they said 5 days for the parts and who knows on labor.

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update 10/8/19

We as of yesterday the new HVAC box came in and they planned on working on it today. From what I was told by my Advisor they removed my dash and the HVAC system and noticed there was a tab broken off from the new box. They can not install it and reassembled the truck. Not sure I believe that they took the truck apart and put it back together but that's what she said. Now for the bad news, they can't seem to find another assembly and have escalated the parts request. As of this evening they do not have an ETA on parts.

This leads me to my next issue. I am in a 1500, I purchased a 3500. I have plans with my 3500 that this 1500 can't do. Besides that, this truck makes a clattering sound when starting every few times a day, the condensation buildup is 10 times worse in this than mine, and the wipers suck, I have to leave them on my entire morning commute. Now as far as towing goes, I tow a 5th wheel. I cant just swap the hitch very easily and it needs to be 5th wheel prepped. This issue is growing fast. @RamCares is there anything you can do to assist me? I have been there at least 5 times and now I am running into a time crunch. I appreciate that FCA is providing a loaner. Thank you.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi @Albert193500,

Thanks for tagging us. We have been in contact with you on the other Ram forum. You currently have a case open with us. Your case manager is in the best position to provide assistance at this time.

Darlene
Ram Cares

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update 10/10/19

Well, the truck is back home but only temporarily. They said the new part didnt ship on time and since they have nothing to move my RV they had to give it back. FYI, the dash was not pulled yet, only the lower panels and behind the glove compartment. I will probably drop it back off on Monday, hopefully the parts will be there. From what I saw they are ordering the HVAC box and 2 actuators. I will have all of the part numbers when they are installed.

I really missed my truck. However this leads me to the one thing I liked about the 1500, the radio. It had the 8 inch unit. It looks like i may have to get that next if/when this ac issue is resolved.

Albert193500

Reaction score
Quick update 10/19/19

The dealer has a new HVAC box and doors. They checked and confirmed it is not damaged. My appointment is for Monday. I have my fingers crossed this will resolve the issue.

This is how I have to drive to drop my kids off at school. 2 out of the 4 days I took them to school this was my view. The other 2 days it was not bad at all, just the bottom of the windshield.

20191017_071608.jpg

20191017_071605.jpg

20191017_070459.jpg

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update 10/22/19

I went by the dealer to check the progress of my truck. The truck is a mess, but I see past that to see the HVAC box is out.

The following pictures are graphic in nature, the truck is only 3 months old......

20191022_163209_capture.jpg

20191022_163302.jpg

20191022_163214_capture.jpg

Albert193500

Reaction score
Another update 10/22/19

I just received a phone call from my service advisor. The box that they said was not broke is BROKE.
They have overnighted another one, it should be here by 11 am.

Here is my dilemma, we are going to Fulltime in our RV. Our house sold last week and we are scheduled to be in South Carolina on Saturday. This starts our 5 year plan to see all 50 states. I will have my wife, 2 kids, and dog with me. My closing date is Friday and I will have no way to move my RV Saturday morning. This is now becoming a major problem. Please @RamCares read this. I need your assistance in one way or another.

Albert193500

Reaction score
Updated 10/24/19

I am going to post the link for the new thread I started about the ac repair.

Basically the dealer ruined my truck and the problem is now worse. I have more air coming from the defrost.

I am very upset

Albert193500

Reaction score
Update 10/30/2019

So here is a quick AC performance update.

Since the dealer ruined my truck, was it worth it to let them try?

Answer - NO

I am currently in South Carolina and the outside temp this afternoon was 64 degrees. With the AC on max, cold, medium speed the temp coming from both center vents was 54 degrees. So I am quite sure the temp door is not closed and heat is mixing in.

jb2

Reaction score
Update 10/30/2019
So here is a quick AC performance update.
Since the dealer ruined my truck, was it worth it to let them try?
Answer - NO

Albert,
Is any person or group representing RAM/FCA (local or corporate) trying to make right by you? Or even pretending to try to make right by you?

Albert193500

Reaction score
Albert,
Is any person or group representing RAM/FCA (local or corporate) trying to make right by you? Or even pretending to try to make right by you?
FCA is in contact with me but it is maybe once a week if that. The dealer sucks. I have no idea what's going to happen

Albert193500

Reaction score
Here is some pretty definitive proof the heater door is not closing properly

Watch "2019 Ram 3500 HVAC issue" on YouTube

ahhhr

Reaction score
Im not doubting your troubles but on that video it looks like recirculate is on.
Wouldn't the hot air just reticulate on that setting?

Albert193500

Reaction score
The heat was never on, it is like that no matter what. Also the windows were down most of the time because we were sight seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread