Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About what mpg would a new 6.4 2500 get

dm6

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back. I was half expecting to see a bunch of mean, non-helpful replies. But ok those numbers don't seem to bad. I'm actually a VERY conservative driver, I almost never go above 60mph. So I'm sure ide see better than what most people are saying they would get. I dont care about mpg while towing, or city because 85% of my driving is freeway. I'm thinking I might be able to see 18ish mpg if I'm taking it easy while driving highway

That will help a lot if you keep it under 60 and are a conservative driver. I think I am a pretty conservative driver too however, this thing has so much power, it is hard not to just step on it once in a while when going up a big hill just because.....you can! :)

Firebird

Reaction score
My 6.4 with 4.10 gears averaged 11-12 in town, an 16 hwy

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Haven’t taken a hwy trip without a TT or 5ver so no idea there but towing I’m seeing 8-9.5 mpg and cruising around town as dad’s taxi it’s a tick over 12 mpg (I don’t race around but I don’t baby her either).

I track all my fill up via Fuelly, check my sig.

Pronto

Reaction score
My 6.4 with 4.10 gears averaged 11-12 in town, an 16 hwy

That's about what I see with the same setup in a megacab. Probably not that high on the highway but I'm usually doing 75-80.

DeepH20Driller

Reaction score
Mine is fixing to be a lot lower due to installing a real exhaust. Not due to the exhaust, due to me liking to hear the exhaust

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNifc6pF

Reaction score
Haven’t taken a hwy trip without a TT or 5ver so no idea there but towing I’m seeing 8-9.5 mpg and cruising around town as dad’s taxi it’s a tick over 12 mpg (I don’t race around but I don’t baby her either).

I track all my fill up via Fuelly, check my sig.
How did you get the embed code for the signature to be "live" I've tried finding it on fuelly's site but haven't seen it yet.

Edit: NM, Found it :/

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Let start off saying, I'm aware this is a heavy duty, I know it's not going to get prius levels of mpg. I'm not "concerned" about mpg, just curious. I'm thinking of trading my 2019 1500 for a current gen 2500 6.4 4x4 crew cab short bed. I love my 1500, it's tow rating is perfectly fine for me. But it's 1550lb payload is starting to become a worry. Once kids grow up and if my trailer is fully loaded, I'm estimating ill probably be about 500 lbs over payload or gvwr. That's why I'm thinking of trading up. Again I'm not expecting 25mpg. Just would like as much Info as possible before potentially throwing 20ish thousand to upgrade a truck over a 500lb, possible, worry. Any helpful info is appriciated

Depends 100% on your driving habits.

10-12 City and 14-17 Hwy non-towing and not driving like you are in a Hoonigan film shoot. If you idle for extended periods you will see a reduction. If you off-road you will definitely see a reduction.

I honestly believe that the disadvantage of a 2500s MPG is off-set by both it's better ride comfort, payload and towing capability.

Power Hounder

Reaction score
I have a 2019 2500 with a 3:73 gear and a big fiberglass work shell on the back after 62k miles it does a consistent 13.5 and I'm not easy on it hwy city idling. On long trips I have I have seen 16 it's still a complete pleasure to drive.

WYnott

Reaction score
3.73. 6.4l I have never had better than 15+ so far and with remote starts/ warm ups, I count on 12mpg, my driving is split 50 50 dirt tracks 4x4 and 70 mph cruise control pavement.

Good luck with your new ride!!

Users who are viewing this thread